Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are monopods enough for exposure >1 second?

Midnight
    Guests

Originally posted by Kit
    Digital or not. Mirror slap or not. Its hard to handhold at 2 secs.
    That's putting it mildly... Anyone who can handhold a 2 sec shot and emerge with a pin-sharp image is truly a human tripod....

Originally posted by Midnight
    That's putting it mildly... Anyone who can handhold a 2 sec shot and emerge with a pin-sharp image is truly a human tripod....

hahaha....funny.
    Last edited by 007; 4th October 2002 at 02:23 PM.

I see people here with a slight problem with their ego. However I'd like to emphasise what Kit said, exposures over 1s is very very hard. To the ones who claim they can, how about posting full sized shots for us to examine? I'm sure it's NOT that sharp. Don't kid yourselves people.

Originally posted by YSLee
    I see people here with a slight problem with their ego. However I'd like to emphasise what Kit said, exposures over 1s is very very hard. To the ones who claim they can, how about posting full sized shots for us to examine? I'm sure it's NOT that sharp. Don't kid yourselves people.
    I see you've not heard of IS.

Originally posted by maddog

IS, OS, etc is NOT magic. IS will not let you handhold 1s. No stabilising system other than things like gyros will let you handhold at that kind of speeds. If IS is that good, then Manfrotto, Gitzo, Slik etc will all go out of business.

Regards
    CK

OMG, just as I expected. Its happening all over again. Haizzz....... ignorance rearing its ugly head once again.

Originally posted by ckiang

IS, OS, etc is NOT magic. IS will not let you handhold 1s.

Regards
    CK
    Its not magic. Its just technology which you guys have not used before. Do you think my six second shot is blurry?

Its not magic. Its just technology which you guys have not used before. Do you think my six second shot is blurry?
    I have tried 1/30s with 70-200mm f/2.8L at 200 on a D30. Its not sharp.

Try purely handholding 6s without additional support.

Then post a full size, unsharpened, straight-out-of-camera shot for us to see. Remember, no using walls, pillars, lampposts, ledges, etc to lean on. Just pure IS and your hands.

I'll say it again : If IS is so good, tripod makers will go out of business. IS lets you handhold till reasonable shutter speeds compared to non-ISed systems, but to say IS lets you hand hold shutter speeds in the seconds range is ridiculous to say the least.

Regards
    CK

Yes, as a matter of fact. Its far from being what I would consider sharp and you don't even have to blow up the image to see it.

Its not a technology we haven't used before. Its a technology you haven't got to know what its all about.

Once again, post up a full scale crop, or even the full photo. Don't kid yourself, even Canon and Nikon isn't that stupid to claim IS or VR to be that effective.

And what makes you think that us people here (who have quite a bit more experience than you, btw) have not used IS/VR lenses before?

Calm down guys, no flame...

maddog, maybe u can get a few "sharp" ones with IS at >1s, but may not be on a consistent basis. So far my best result with a 200mm on monopod was 1/20s for a still portrait. I mean, acceptablely sharp. If u use a wide angle lens, small aperture and shooting at night, the blurness may not be noticable. Try to shoot another one at day time with more details, maybe u can evaluate the result better. IS is good but not magic. >1s is unbelievable to most ppl here
    Last edited by tomshen; 5th October 2002 at 12:40 AM.

Let me reinforce what CK has said. I have owned the Canon 28-135 IS lens for a period of time. At the longer end, with IS activated, what I can manage is about 1/50sec. That's about it. This has been proven with Velvia and a 8x loupe. What you have there to say you can handhold at 6secs is a passable(hardly) image. Print it out on A4 and you'll see.

Don't fall into the trap that technology can replace good photographic techniques. We are not pros, far from it even but we know the limits.

What do you think? Pretty good for a six second shot no?

Thank you. You just made my point in the previous message. Pretty good for a 6secs shots??? I'll put it this way, there are NO good shots at 6 secs handheld. Period.

Indeed, it's not what I'd call sharp. If you consider that sharp however, I have nothing to say.

How about this 4 second shot?

I suggest you look through some mags and photography books to find out what sharp images are really about.

Even some of my images shot at around 1/30secs, I wouldn't consider them sharp.

Ok so I must admit its not super sharp. The lens aint that good anyway. But seriously can any of you guys take shots this sharp at 4-6 seconds? BTW I'm using an Oly C-2100UZ. Think you guys are comparing your huge cameras with heavy lenses with mine. No wonder you can't hold it still. 1/30s for my camera is too easy to stabilize.

Ok so I must admit its not super sharp. The lens aint that good anyway. But seriously can any of you guys take shots this sharp at 4-6 seconds? BTW I'm using an Oly C-2100UZ. Think you guys are comparing your huge cameras with heavy lenses with mine. No wonder you can't hold it still. 1/30s for my camera is too easy to stabilize.
    On the contrary, heavier cameras are more stable. Its not even the len's fault.

Yes, we can't (and won't) take handheld shots like this. Also, we won't be trying so hard to convince ourselves that that was a good shot. Fact is it isn't. To say you can take sharper shots at 6secs handheld than most of us is completely ridiculous and pointless. It doesn't work that way. Stay around longer and you'll know what I mean.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast