Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upper leg section

14 53.85%
  • Lower leg section

12 46.15%

Thread: how do you extend your tripod?

Default how do you extend your tripod?

Do you extend the upper columns first before extending the lower column and vice versa? (ie. you max out the height of the upper column, and adjust the length of the lower column for your height)
    eat. drink. shoot

hm is there a difference?

U probably want to keep the diameter of the support as thick as possible and avoid using the smallest ones if possible, or if not less of it. No knowledge but pure guess work on my part. For myself, since i always have to extend all of them, it seems easier to lengthen the smallest one first cos as i release the next one the clip for the smaller one gets further away and a bit awkward to reach. just me.

I extend 1 upper leg, then 1 lower leg, then 1 upper leg again.........just kidding. but is there a difference?

i followed the manual, forget stated where, but it said to release from the top to the bottom to have better stability.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

extend the bigger diameter leg 1st (stronger), the last section (smallest diameter last). more stable. the locking device has more area to grip.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Is this some sort of psychological test like the toilet test?

For me, my gitzo is very short, so i just extent all the way to the fullest no need to adjust to my height. Oh yes, i extent the lower legs out first.
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

my own perference: I extend the thickest part of the tripod 1st and descending to the lower thinner ones.

No reasons but I have been taught this way back in Film school as logic serves, you need the stronger columns to support your camera when not in full extend. so if you extend the lowest thinnest legs 1st and you only need your tripod to be in 1/2 height, it may not be so sturdy, esp in wind conditions or when you have to rest your weight on your camera/ tripod when shooting something in a leaning forward position.

For stability always extend the thickest or the upper columns first followed by the thinner ones.

Sorry, but what is the difference if you are going to fully extend it anyway?

Unless i am only extending on section, i'll extend the thicker one (top).

Quote Originally Posted by leeter
    Sorry, but what is the difference if you are going to fully extend it anyway?

Unless i am only extending on section, i'll extend the thicker one (top).
    Hmmm...not all photos need to be taken from your height...
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    Hmmm...not all photos need to be taken from your height...
    Dude... use the center column then... adjust one pole easier or adjust three poles easier?

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Dude... use the center column then... adjust one pole easier or adjust three poles easier?
    My centre column is never extended FYI....makes the whole setup less stable
    eat. drink. shoot

my 190prob seem a little too short,i always need to raise centre column a little.

for me,with remote and a little centre column raise is ok,
    but not those aluminium filmsy tripod where the shutter slap will cause the column to shake.

for convenience sake, i extend the bottom legs first followed by the whatever that are left after that.

if i extend the upper ones first, the lower release clips gets further away from me (if i'm holding stubbornly to the non-extendable legs). so, a bit susah lah...
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

i juz found out that while holding a heavy setup (like F100 with MB-15 + AF 80-200ED) and you WANT to have the length max-ed out, i'd start with lowering the smallest legs first then the middle. that way i dun hafta bend down and release the smaller ones after releasing the middle ones and then straighten my back again. true 190 is kinda short eh? i needa raise the center column as well, making it less stable.

Lightbulb

never max out the centre column as it introduces instability when stability is crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    My centre column is never extended FYI....makes the whole setup less stable
    Depends on what u shoot also la... my Gitzo with centre piece fully extended can support my heaviest setup without problems (Me shoot landscape mostly la)