Thread: Call it bad luck!! 2 Dead cameras within 10 days

Default Call it bad luck!! 2 Dead cameras within 10 days

Within a span of 1 and half week, my 2 babies (cameras) who have been with me for 2 to 2 and a half years die on me.... cause of death for both of them...image sensor are spoil. The first one, a Coolpix 5700, yah my main workhorse for 2 years (yup my avatar) died on 16 July on Sheare Bridge... It just refuse to open its "eye" to see the world despite all other functions are in working condition. The second camera, usually a backup and my first digital baby, a reliable and forever portable Canon Ixus V3 died on me on 26 July while i whip it out to test something for an event shot...sighhhh.... and i believe the normal life-span of digital sensor in consumer and prosumer camera are about 2 to 2 & 1/2 years... I know i can revive them by sending them back to their "rescue centre" (customers' service centre) but sighhhhh, the cost incurred perhaps might be better to find a new "baby"....and maybe its blessing in disguise than i acquire a D70s...i met a professional photographer friend and he felt sorry for my sudden loss of 2 babies but tell me to look on the bright side cuz i now have a newer and faster baby..... Just feeling kinda of sad that 2 of my cameras die out of a sudden...and one burning question...is the life span of digital sensor in camera really 2 to 3 years... and any fellow photographers suffered the same fate...
    10-20,18-70,18-200,50,80-200,70-300

More of a combination of usage time and patterns..
    "Wear and tear" in semiconductors like these is a process called electromigration..
    Heat accelerates the process. Of course, usage does produce heat as well. Also, the size of the individual transistors also affect how soon they get shorted out by electromigration.. So don't be too happy to find that your CCD has ultra small photodetectors and hence, higher resolution.

hmmm...sound logical...time to dig out those semiconductor textbook from my NTU days
    10-20,18-70,18-200,50,80-200,70-300

Tat's why I still use a manual good old trusty rangefinder camera..dun even need to rely on batteries!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tangoninazero
    Within a span of 1 and half week, my 2 babies (cameras) who have been with me for 2 to 2 and a half years die on me.... cause of death for both of them...image sensor are spoil. The first one, a Coolpix 5700, yah my main workhorse for 2 years (yup my avatar) died on 16 July on Sheare Bridge... It just refuse to open its "eye" to see the world despite all other functions are in working condition. The second camera, usually a backup and my first digital baby, a reliable and forever portable Canon Ixus V3 died on me on 26 July while i whip it out to test something for an event shot...sighhhh.... and i believe the normal life-span of digital sensor in consumer and prosumer camera are about 2 to 2 & 1/2 years... I know i can revive them by sending them back to their "rescue centre" (customers' service centre) but sighhhhh, the cost incurred perhaps might be better to find a new "baby"....and maybe its blessing in disguise than i acquire a D70s...i met a professional photographer friend and he felt sorry for my sudden loss of 2 babies but tell me to look on the bright side cuz i now have a newer and faster baby..... Just feeling kinda of sad that 2 of my cameras die out of a sudden...and one burning question...is the life span of digital sensor in camera really 2 to 3 years... and any fellow photographers suffered the same fate...
    Hey tangoninazero,
    So sorry to hear about your digital cameras.

I have cameras like that also. A sudden discovery that that is the furthest they can go. I look at it as their retirement.

Regards,
    -Mich-

wo wo..i remember i used to raise an 'daring' conjuncture here about this 2-3 yr lifespan thing going by regular usage - sort picked this up from quite a couple other popular forums i thot. what i did get to raise then instead were a 'couple' more arguments against it, saying its all speculative, hypothetical and without solid precendence, or a non-issue at best.. "mine lasted for past X years working fine what", "by then already out-date model, why bother" etc..but now real-life proves indeed it would occur as you have unfortunately exp.