Thread: Blown out highlights prints

Default Blown out highlights prints

Hi,

Like to check what went wrong with the experts here.

The situation is that I adjusted the pics in PS and verified that the histrogram is OK (nothing on the extereme right). On monitor also OK... the pics contrast are smooth and not blown.

But when sent to print (FDI) it seemed that the highlights are clipped and blown-out.

Do I need to tell the printers not to self adjust? Or is the printer's contrast not as large as the PC's?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

your photoshop in sRGB mode or Adobe Mode?

if Adobe.... I think the shop will adjust it to within their machine limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    your photoshop in sRGB mode or Adobe Mode?

if Adobe.... I think the shop will adjust it to within their machine limits.
    sRGB... I dun use Adobe after first time "incident"... ppl faces are RED RED literally

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    sRGB... I dun use Adobe after first time "incident"... ppl faces are RED RED literally
    the paper also play a part.... maybe try BM at stamford to see can get the 'highlights' or not. (they have some 'metalic paper.... that are good to show highlights)

eh u can try downloading the printer profiles from ya lab.....

yes, try to get the profiles, and check your gamut with color proof with out-of-gamut warning. shift-ctrl-Y, i think. on the mac it's shift-cmd-y.

Hi,

Like to check what went wrong with the experts here.

The situation is that I adjusted the pics in PS and verified that the histrogram is OK (nothing on the extereme right). On monitor also OK... the pics contrast are smooth and not blown.

But when sent to print (FDI) it seemed that the highlights are clipped and blown-out.

Do I need to tell the printers not to self adjust? Or is the printer's contrast not as large as the PC's?

As far as i know, don't need to adjust, you try using the original to print, NO PS, see the result, if ok, then don't need to do ps anymore. Try send in a few pics..
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

If the highlights are blown out on the prints.. My guess is the lab adjusted the density on your images. If you are doing postprosessing yourself , you should always ask the lab not to do any corrections. You may check the backprint if any correction information is there ?.

any pixel above 245 will end up white when printed.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman
    As far as i know, don't need to adjust, you try using the original to print, NO PS, see the result, if ok, then don't need to do ps anymore. Try send in a few pics..
    This is something interesting.... no need PS...hmmm.

tink I'll try some unprocessed pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    any pixel above 245 will end up white when printed.
    Huh..245

I'll test some pics on this limit then. thanks.

This is something interesting.... no need PS...hmmm.

tink I'll try some unprocessed pics...
    most labs will do the adjustment so no need ps. If you ps the photos you need to tell them not to do any adjustment.

Huh..245

I'll test some pics on this limit then. thanks.
    clown is right anything above 245-248 (depend on machine) will be washout, you will not see details. you need to set your white point to 244 on all the 3 channels - R, G, B,
    midtone can be set at 128 or 133; and black point at 20, 20, 20.

From what I understand from the expert photographers, they usually set their black and white points both at 5% shdows and 95% highlights. Different type of papers and printers may also affect the printout. The 0-255 value is the value range of your black and white points. Maybe lowering down the range and assign 0-255 values on the new B&W points may help?
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    My Photo Albums