Thread: help me with a telephoto lens for nikon

Default help me with a telephoto lens for nikon

Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Nikon vs Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM Nikon vs Nikkor AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

I am confused which of this lens to buy for my Nikon D5200. please advice or share your experience.
    The purpose of the lens is to shoot landscape and sport action.

Default Re: help me with a telephoto lens for nikon

1. Get the Nikon 18-300mm. That should cover the entire range.

2. Don't have high hopes for fast sports action with any of the lenses in the selection.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

OR more budget wise:

70-300mm & 55-200mm / 55-300mm lens

I rather get tamron 17-50 non vc n 70-300 vs usd.
    D800E / Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 / 150-600 Tamron

Quote Originally Posted by elliotjoe View Post
    Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Nikon vs Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM Nikon vs Nikkor AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II
    I am confused which of this lens to buy for my Nikon D5200. please advice or share your experience.
    The purpose of the lens is to shoot landscape and sport action.
    First of all: landscape and sport are somewhat opponents. While landscapes tend to be stationary, in sports the subjects rarely are (except maybe chess). So you should focus on the sports requirements to find a lens that suits these needs. Using the same lens for landscapes is no issue at all if the focal length works for you.
    Looking at your selection, all lenses are quite slow at the telephoto end. From the feedback here in the forum it seems that the Nikkor 18-200 could work for you. Alternatively, have a look at a two lens setup as what bro Bart Tan has mentioned. Keep in mind: DSLR is about using the right lens for the right job. Special lenses (e.g. telephoto, wide angle) tend to be better than all-round lenses.
    Don't forget your kit lens, it works well for landscapes.
    EOS

How about the Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD?

$812 from technogadget. Still cheaper than the Nikon 18-200.

Typically for shooting sports, most would prefer a lens >200mm with a large aperture (f2.8 or wider) as it would allow them to shoot indoors (bad lighting) or bad overcast days and still remain at a relatively high shutter speed and decent ISO.

But your selection of lens listed above have quite a "narrow" aperture which makes it not so ideal for the mentioned scenarios. But it should still be decent enough for sports in good sunlight.

For all-in-one lens, it will definitely have some(or alot) of compromises like image quality (not to say that it's bad, just not as good as those 'specialized' lens).
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Hi cs users thanks 4 ur valuable comments. I noe I am trying to acheive two things in one lens.i shld comprise on IQ. But I am just a beginner and I don want to keep changing lenses and more over carry it arnd all time. I usually want the quality to be able to print post card size and view in laptop. So based on this criteria is the nikon 18-200 vr 1 really worth considering.
    Please advice.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elliotjoe View Post
    Hi cs users thanks 4 ur valuable comments. I noe I am trying to acheive two things in one lens.i shld comprise on IQ. But I am just a beginner and I don want to keep changing lenses and more over carry it arnd all time. I usually want the quality to be able to print post card size and view in laptop. So based on this criteria is the nikon 18-200 vr 1 really worth considering.
    Please advice.
    Thanks
    Yup , and I have one with the VR2 hope you check my B&S =p ....

Get the 18-200mm VR II lah. Much improved over the VR I.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!