Thread: Microsoft To Release New OS for FREE, Patches Are Extra

Default Microsoft To Release New OS for FREE, Patches Are Extra

REDMOND, WA- Tech industry observers expected to hear news of a rumored product name change on Friday but ended up with far more. Tired of battling with copyright thieves and complaints from consumer groups over its pricing practices, Microsoft announced that when Vista (formerly known as Longhorn) hits the streets in early 2006, the company plans to offer its next-generation operating system free of charge.

"In the half decade or so of development on this product, we've had a lot of time to think about our business model and the kind of company we want to be," said Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, sweating erupting from his pores like some sort of hirsute fountain. "For example, we learned from the Open Source community that we really need to reconnect with our users. Letting people use Vista for free is just one step in that direction."

As a publicly traded company, Microsoft is obligated to find a way to recoup the costs of development and marketing. To this end, the company will begin a revolutionary micropayment system by charging a small fee for security patches and bug fixes.

Even though the tiny fees can add up, experts who claim to have to run the numbers say that the rate of $2.50 per patch multiplied over the historical average of two security holes discovered each week adds up to far less than the $119.99 the company charged for Windows XP, great news for budget-conscious, calculator-phobic computer users.

Read More...

Early adopters can get the full benefit of Vista right now and become the first on their block to enjoy the sweet wallpaper upgrade and icon redesign- unless they really need to install peripherals or connect to the Internet. In that case they'll need to budget for a patch or two when they're released sometime next year.
    all in all.. it's not free.. and the website looks kinda dubious..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    all in all.. it's not free.. and the website looks kinda dubious..
    Just like Linux.... its free... but the development and packaging and support is not... Hmmm now I wonder how will the Linux companies survive...

linux has lots of online communities and online support lei
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Bleah... MAN MAKE, MAN CAN BREAK

This word says it all.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Deregistered

Would you install anything from M$ even if it's free? I wouldn't

Back to my UNIX systems for me...

hehe...next time the patches will get pirated instead

wat is so free abt this? how long would it last? -_-

open source is for ppl who knows what they are using.. for those like my mom & dad, windows xp with ms office is still the way to go...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I don't believe Microsoft will give out an OS for free. No way man. And charging for security patches? Gimme a break - how many laymen do you know of who install patches on their own accord (less those who are more security-savvy)? Not many in my book. This piece of news could likely be a fake one for all we know.

free good for consumers like me....

last time use the winxp trial cd...then lost...then have to format pc...then no original winxp...forced to get pirated...then banned cdkey...si beh very stress....lol.

cannot afford the original also....pirated also cannot use.....then like stuck in limbo liao. No money...if not would have got a mac instead. *grumbles*
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Would you install anything from M$ even if it's free? I wouldn't

Back to my UNIX systems for me...
    Don't let me catch you surfing CS in a GUI.

Of course its a hoax. There's no incentive for them to make a secure product if their revenue is going to come from security patches.

Quote Originally Posted by tunster
    Don't let me catch you surfing CS in a GUI.
    X Window.

wah wah...

might be a good move.. But then the OS will be bare minimal (and nothing works).. then you need to pay for US$2 per download of everything u need (eg. drivers, patches, calculator).. haha

its a rip off