Thread: Artisan&Artist ACAM-E25 Easy Slider Strap User Review

Default Artisan&Artist ACAM-E25 Easy Slider Strap User Review

Artisan&Artist brand has been well known amongst many of rangefinders users, and with the recent years of developments of mirrorless cameras, the brand had certainly gained much popularity.

Stock straps had never been much used personally as mostly are:
    - boring
    - hard to adjust length
    - uncomfortable
    - depending on material, can be hard to clean and may smell after prolonged usage due to sweat.
    - carries the logo of the camera

Over the years of using mirrorless cameras, and using of many different straps from Cam-in to Carry Speed, gordy etc. Straps to a certain point is more of personal statement, from the design, how it complements the camera to the functional aspects,to the occasion, often it's just like bags, you can't really have one for all occasion/camera.

For the past 2 years, I've narrowed down to using the Artisan&Artist ACAM-301 silk cord for my Olympus Pen due to the design, the durability, those who knows me well will know how much I love this strap. Recently, I got to know about the Easy Slider ACAM-E25 which has a very functional design that's not found in thinner straps I've seen, easy sliding to adjust length of straps which is a feature ACAM-301 lacks sorely. While there's also Peak Design which recently launched the Kickstarter "Slide" it remains rather bulky for mirror less users (I feel). So just a quick background before the user review. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by wonglp; 3rd August 2014 at 11:21 PM.

Default Re: Artisan&Artist ACAM-E25 Easy Slider Strap User Review

ACAM-E25 has several versions, for small lugs which requires rings, the ACAM-E25R, while for strap type of lugs it's ACAM-E25. The "R" version has a more minimalist design where the logo is a small tab, while ACAM-E25 has rather unusually bold wordings of the brand (as shown below). If you sling it, the wordings would actually be behind the body.
    Specs:
    Adjustable length : about 80cm to 140cm.
    Material : Strap is nylon, some leather to join strap and termination tape. Plastic hooks for the adjusting mechanism, this is simple but important as I've used sliding straps which uses metallic mechanism which can worrisome to put together with the camera inside cam bag.
    Colors: Black, Red or Khaki.
    Made in Japan

The version I have here is the ACAM-E25 as I connect it to the Olympus EM10 triangular strap lug. One can choose to remove the triangular strap lug, and get the "R" version of easy slider if they prefer the other design.

ACAM-E25 Easy Slider

Last edited by wonglp; 4th August 2014 at 12:23 AM.

How to use it? Simply pull the D-hook, upward to shorten, downward to length. Here's a video done by A&A themselves, quirky yet effective. Extremely easy

Last edited by wonglp; 4th August 2014 at 12:01 AM.

Typically how I would use it
    - front strap normal
    - side sling and just pull up camera and touch screen shoot
    - sling to back and tighten if say cycling so that the camera won't move around
    - if wearing jackets overseas, i can adjust strap accordingly to the thickness. The ACAM-301 silk cord would be a challenge as it's a fixed length strap.
    - sometimes for landscapes, I would use it at maximum length and strap it back to a carabiner to a rail if I'm extending outside of ledge/hdb etc.
    etc.

Applications

Nice review! Now tempted to get the slider

Quick conclusion after 3 weeks of usage:
    Pros
    - A very functional and easy sliding strap that can meet many application
    - Stylish/minimalist enough for mirrorless cameras. (me thinks)
    - No metal parts like another slider strap I've used.
    - Quality material made to last.
    - Easy to clean the strap with damp cloth

Cons
    - Not as comfortable as ACAM-301 silkcord though it's similar to stock straps
    - Does entangle unlike ACAM-301 again, though since it's thicker than stock straps it won't entangle as bad .
    - Traditional way to lug to camera - unlike peak design anchor links

Hence still there's no perfect strap out there that satisfy all my needs, however, the easy sliding is certainly the best I've tested and based on the applications it can serve, I certainly will like this strap a lot. Perhaps I will get the Peak Design anchor links when it's out and post some shots of it with this strap.

Being Artisan&Artist brand that's made in Japan, the price is certainly not the lowest but has seen some marked reduction recently, so that might be good news for some who had been sitting on the fence. Hope the short review helps
    Last edited by wonglp; 4th August 2014 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkins View Post
    Nice review! Now tempted to get the slider
    Wow, that's fast

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post

Wow, that's fast
    I've been using the 103 on my x-e1, it's nice but seeing how easy it is to adjust the strap length on the slider, I'm convinced it's the right strap for me especially since i like to rotate between cross sling and side sling. I thought of getting the domke gripper but the metal swivels look frightening lol.

I've been using the 103 on my x-e1, it's nice but seeing how easy it is to adjust the strap length on the slider, I'm convinced it's the right strap for me especially since i like to rotate between cross sling and side sling. I thought of getting the domke gripper but the metal swivels look frightening lol.
    metal swivels is indeed scary! if you like to do cross and side, it's great combi. The ACAM-E25R with ring lug would be the right choice for XE1, actually after using a while, I think the "R" version looks nicer (as in more subtle) haha. hmm...

Thanks LP for the great review. !

Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post

metal swivels is indeed scary! if you like to do cross and side, it's great combi. The ACAM-E25R with ring lug would be the right choice for XE1, actually after using a while, I think the "R" version looks nicer (as in more subtle) haha. hmm...
    Cool! Let me check out both. Will be in Tokyo soon, see if can get a better price there lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Khaw View Post
    Thanks LP for the great review. !
    Thanks bro, hope it helps.

Cool! Let me check out both. Will be in Tokyo soon, see if can get a better price there lol.
    Have fun searching

i doubt Tokyo will be any cheaper cos the prices have been adjusted locally to follow japan pricing.

Just checked. Even after the token price reduction in Singapore recently, it's still cheaper to buy in Japan. Also, you can get special models and colors there! Have fun!

Cheers,

Looks like a great idea.

Although I found it amusing that one of the things you didn't like about stock straps was the camera branding, but you seem to have no issue with the big & red A&A logo!

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Looks like a great idea.

Although I found it amusing that one of the things you didn't like about stock straps was the camera branding, but you seem to have no issue with the big & red A&A logo!
    Yeah, come to think, A&A usually is very subtle with their logo, for a change, this one is bold and somehow I just like it better haha, maybe coz it's different, ironies of life!

This one is the ring version and more subtle, I also like...jialat.
    http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/prod...ils.php?id=189

And have it in other colors - beige, pink & purple, ok, this confirm not for me. And strap lug version not ring.
    http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/prod...ils.php?id=198

Nice review
    I'm using the 103n now , a convert to the comfort A&A can provide.

Nice review . Seem much much better compare to carry speed M
    My Flickr ->Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    Nice review
    I'm using the 103n now , a convert to the comfort A&A can provide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersimon27 View Post
    Nice review . Seem much much better compare to carry speed M
    Thanks bros, certainly better than Carry Speed M sling.