Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pentax Strobist -Session#1 - Pls share your shots and learnings here

Default Re: Pentax Strobist -Session#1 - Pls share your shots and learnings here

Quote Originally Posted by Yamakasi View Post
    trying out more at the comfort of home...

its not easy to take a selfie..have to keep taking test shots to get the lighting in the correct place..in total i think i took about 100+ photos just to get a few more presentable photos

1)Flash on a stand at the bottom left of the picture. This is to try to create a more mysterious and scary look as i feel that lights at the side tend to make the person (especially guys) more mysterious looking while lights at the bottom gave the person a scary look. So with only 1 flash..i try to make do and put it somewhere in between

2)Flash on a stand placed behind me and angled upwards towards my left shoulder. I placed the flash behind as i wanted to created a more 'separation look' with lights around the shoulder n head area but think this wasnt very successful. Similarly by bounching the flash upwards and to 1 side..i am trying to light up part of the mask for a more mysterious look

for both pics, i change the white balance to give it a blueish look (i find it more suited to my liking) although i think i could have also gel to change the colour
    Wow.. got StarbursT!!!! hehe.. you are the next in line to guide us

Default Re: Pentax Strobist -Session#1 - Pls share your shots and learnings here

Quote Originally Posted by poseur View Post
    I was breathing down your neck with all the technical terms n settings. Hope i didnt kill your interest. Lol.

Try thinking simple first. The purpose is use light to give a 3d pop on the subject with the consideration how "dark" you want the environment vs your subject. The darker the environment (low key) . the more dramatic the overall feel.

A casual example . For a very dramatic feel in a bright sunny day sometimes 1 will need to drop -4 to -5ev to darken the environment abit. For "brighter" shoots. Maybe i will just -1 to -2ev from environment. That basically how i got my shoots i show u at EOY.
    ok lah.. wont kill me that easy. :P Hmmm...........

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Good to see that you have some considerations to think over.
    IMO, no right or wrong answer.
    If you don't mind lugging the stuff around and can get shots this way or is quick to find good bkgnds then no harm doing it.
    Else, finding a good bkgnd and camping on that spot is good too.
    Its easier if there is a helper (or tag team)

I take a chance to touch on PP.
    The first thing to consider is a crop.
    Simplify the shot to its base element.
    IMO, it usually gives better focus on the subject and what the photographer is trying to convey.

As for the query on shadow recovery.
    I will adjust shadows to taste.
    We can't expect the camera to always do the right thing for us as its basically only giving us a linear tonal response (eg. the straight line of the tone curve in your editing program)
    Usually our eyes see more dynamic range so camera straight capture often is not how we remember we saw the scene.
    But again, what we saw, may not be what we want.
    So we may want real harsh contrast for some shots to better carry across the idea we want.

i think it really depend on the situation and what kind of mood you want to present...photography is more of an art rather than science..
    Think i am too scientific than artistic.. too conscious about the histogram when i see there is too much dark shawdoWSS!! lolz.. ok ok. will go on more feel :P

for both pics, i change the white balance to give it a blueish look (i find it more suited to my liking) although i think i could have also gel to change the colour
    That one looks cool with the color, I have gels as well, not get much chance to use it.
    K-01: S8FE, DA35, DA70 Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ranchy View Post
    Wow.. got StarbursT!!!! hehe.. you are the next in line to guide us
    haha..its the FA24 starburst

nice!!

Practice more and you will get even more familiar with changing settings fast.

Nice series.
    Shoot More Learn More

Here i have a picture, where i want to have bokeh of the outdoor background , and still have a decent exposure of the subject. This is achieved with F/2 aperture, but reduce the flash power.

DSC02128 pp by maverick_h, on Flickr

This next picture, reminiscence of the famous " Uncle Sam - I want You " poster .

DSC02153 pp final by maverick_h, on Flickr

Last photo from the session. A pow wow from all villans .

Happy shooting .

DSC02166 2500 by maverick_h, on Flickr

Nice one! power in JK's hand!

Quote Originally Posted by maverickh View Post
    Last photo from the session. A pow wow from all villans .

Happy shooting .

DSC02166 2500 by maverick_h, on Flickr
    Cool!
    Got the angle right.

I take the chance to mention the bkgnd and cropping.
    Very often, these sort of studio shots, the sides may be a mess since many cases, its just a sheet of backdrop that isn't too wide, so the shot may get the angle you need, but may end up taking in the non-backdrop side as well or a bit of the flash/softbox may be seen.
    Its really quite normal, so just be careful of those showing up in the final pict and take the shot with the intention of cropping away.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 10th August 2014 at 08:18 AM.

Hi all,

My apologies for the delay, never post pics in Clubsnap before, and was trying to figure out how.

Thanks JK for organizing and teaching us something I've never learnt. Also thanks to Martini for practically show us how to use a flash gun.

Here are my photos:

IMGP4237 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

IMGP4231 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

IMGP4229 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

IMGP4218 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

IMGP4218 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

IMGP4216 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

IMGP4215 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

IMGP4212 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

IMGP4211 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

Also must thank handsome Greg for finding us a place

IMGP4206 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

And I've learnt about setting the power of the flash gun and shutter speed to get the correct exposure from Martini.

IMGP4202 by Snap Bear, on Flickr

It is great to know everyone of you who attended this session.

Just to let you guys know that I happened to pass by cash converter at TPY today and saw the pentax AF240 FT flash for $29.90. For those who doesn't have a flash well maybe can go grab it
    Sony A7II FE 28 Zeiss 55 FE 90 Sigma 150-600C

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123