Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 83

Thread: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

  1. #61
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Coach, can we skip Part 1 and go to Part 2?
    Result: Catch no ball
    EOS

  2. #62

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by EisMann View Post
    Kiwi2,

    New Zealand and Uruguay all have something in common with Singapore. The population are relatively small.
    Yet they have certain degree in sport success without import the FT like Singapore.

    As Donut88 has mentioned. I quote. "It's a matter of talent spot and grooming, and giving adequate incentives and support"

    Look at the Chinapore table tennis team players. Once the Ah Tiong players win the gold medals and see where they will disappear to.

    No need to guess who will have the loudest cheer when the Singapore Commonwealth Team is back.

    EisMann
    Yes.... But the main problem with Singapore I think is culture. We just don't have a strong sports culture here. They can build a spanking new national stadium or open the sports school, but if we don't have the culture for sports, we will fail badly as we've always had, and it won't change much.

    By culture, I mean the passion and interest in sports. Give you a good example. My colleagues and friends discuss EPL soccer enthusiastically. They know the players' names and which clubs they've played for, etc. Practically they are so into EPL that some will buy jerseys of their favourite clubs, etc. BUT! Ask any of them if they play soccer, usually out of 10, none or at most 1 plays! Some even unashamedly claim "MY TEAM (referring to their favorite EPL clubs like Liverpool or Man U) will beat yours!" Since when do they even come from the region to claim the title of "my team"? Talk soccer, bet soccer, we are No.1. But passion with actual playing? ZERO.

    Some kids in South America are so poor that they don't even have proper soccer boots. But they play any time, anywhere. In the streets, on the sand. No money to buy soccer ball? No problem. They will find something to make do with. In Singapore, we've got Singapore parents buying $100+ soccer boots and expensive nice jerseys for their lower primary school kids. Then they proudly post on Facebook the items they bought. But so contrastingly, come weekends, we see lots of nice green fields here but where are the kids? Oh no... they play soccer only during school CCA. Cannot lah... like dat where's the passion?

    And it's not hard to imagine why we don't have the sports culture here. It's the lack of guarantee of a safe and bright future. It's not enough to talent spot. So even if you can find a local prodigious child in sports. We don't have the facilities. We don't have the mass for the government to want to invest in that kid and other kids. To do well in sports, and I mean well enough to even appear in a big international event like the Olympics with credible score or timing (not necessarily winning a medal), a lot of sweat, tears, being away from parents, and training with top coaches are required. It's just too much for our small country.

    So understandably, our government takes the fastest approach -- buy players! As they've always been good, this government runs the country like a big business. So buying China players to play for us can be seen as a business transaction. We buy you, you perform well, we give you benefits like extra cash, citizenship, etc. But if you don't perform, then like any employer of a company, we sack you. It's a fair deal.

    I don't see the situation changing much.

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Why don't you volunteer to play pingpong for Singapore in Commonwealth Games so that we don't have to import PRC FTs?

    You'll save the government heaps.
    Im not good at pingpong. But that's besides the point. You send those locals who are good at their sports, win or lose. SPorts is about fighting spirit, afterall. Not really sure what you're getting at...
    Last edited by christeo; 5th August 2014 at 12:28 PM.

  4. #64
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christeo View Post
    Im not good at pingpong. But that's besides the point. You send those locals who are good at their sports, win or lose. SPorts is about fighting spirit, afterall. Not really sure what you're getting at...
    More than often not many people are not sure what Sion is getting at..

  5. #65
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by christeo View Post
    Im not good at pingpong. But that's besides the point. You send those locals who are good at their sports, win or lose. SPorts is about fighting spirit, afterall. Not really sure what you're getting at...
    You have answered your own question.

    You should go to Commonwealth Games representing this country in the spirit of participation and not for winning.

    It doesn't matter even you can't hold the pingpong bat.


  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    You have answered your own question.

    You should go to Commonwealth Games representing this country in the spirit of participation and not for winning.

    It doesn't matter even you can't hold the pingpong bat.

    Well, if they choose me, why not? It's not up to me. But sure, Im local. Anything else to add? There are lots of local kids into pingpong and im sure the sports council will have enough pool of talent to make the right selection. The point is to expose these kids and not overemphasize on gold or silver..
    Again, not so sure what's your point again.
    Last edited by christeo; 5th August 2014 at 04:56 PM.

  7. #67
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    I'm all for FTs coming to singapore to work, start a family and call Singapore home..... they contribute to the economy and work like everyone else

    But I'm not for buying sporting glory...... for that you have to go to the VERY beginning of the basis of achievements why each country celebrates their championship sons and daughters

    Why waste money on buying a ping pong gold ? Its totally illogical

    I'm sure we have enough money to buy a team to take us to the next World Cup Finals actually no ? and in a sport thats so much more widely popular globally than ping pong

    At least we'll have global heroes in the team that more than half the population in the world recognizes right ?

    We should buy a better government too if we find the right people from other parts of the world to head up Singapore Inc ..... but that'll drift into politics so will stop here

    above all tounge in cheek
    Last edited by ed9119; 5th August 2014 at 11:40 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  8. #68
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    I'm all for FTs coming to singapore to work, start a family and call Singapore home..... they contribute to the economy and work like everyone else

    But I'm not for buying sporting glory...... for that you have to go to the VERY beginning of the basis of achievements why each country celebrates their championship sons and daughters

    Why waste money on buying a ping pong gold ? Its totally illogical

    I'm sure we have enough money to buy a team to take us to the next World Cup Finals actually no ? and in a sport thats so much more widely popular globally than ping pong

    At least we'll have global heroes in the team that more than half the population in the world recognizes right ?

    We should buy a better government too if we find the right people from other parts of the world to head up Singapore Inc ..... but that'll drift into politics so will stop here

    above all tounge in cheek
    Added to our imported ping pong players may I suggest we "buy" some of the badminton players from Indonesia and Malaysia.

    They are world class material and the price can be cheaper than those stars from PRC.


  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,797
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    With all that money spent on acquiring and grooming FTs, they could have bought hell of a lot of Gold......
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  10. #70
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    With all that money spent on acquiring and grooming FTs, they could have bought hell of a lot of Gold......
    That sort of gold we have plenty.

    It's the sporting gold and glory that we craze.


  11. #71

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Added to our imported ping pong players may I suggest we "buy" some of the badminton players from Indonesia and Malaysia.

    They are world class material and the price can be cheaper than those stars from PRC.

    I think Singapore should buy David Beckham.


  12. #72
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    I think Singapore should buy David Beckham.
    Does he play badminton now?
    At least the local tax rates could be of some interest to him.
    EOS

  13. #73

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    At least the local tax rates could be of some interest to him.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo...taxpayers-too/
    I think Lionel Messi may also be interested to come here because of tax issues.
    Singapore should target to win the next World Cup and NCPG can make a video about Andy's father betting all his savings on Singapore.


  14. #74

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Singapore should target to win the next World Cup and NCPG can make a video about Andy's father betting all his savings on Singapore.
    Yeah. Tamasak and GIC can all bet their life savings too

  15. #75
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 15th August 2014 at 05:35 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  16. #76

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Why is she crying?

  17. #77
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Why is she crying?
    You all cyberbully her and her precious table tennis national team, now kana sacked. Of course cry lah.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  18. #78

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    You all cyberbully her and her precious table tennis national team, now kana sacked. Of course cry lah.
    So far nobody is sure why she is crying.
    In any case, itís unclear why Er Dr Lee Bee Wah cried after announcing her stepping down.
    http://www.tremeritus.com/2014/08/15...own-from-stta/

    But I think she is crying because she has tarnished the Sporting Spirit of the Games on behalf of Singapore.
    "I don't think what Singapore does is in the spirit of the Games," said Henzell, who was beaten by Gao in the last eight of the men's singles."It's disappointing to see. They decided it was much easier and quicker to buy a team rather than produce a team."
    http://news.asiaone.com/news/sports/...t-their-medals

  19. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post

    So far nobody is sure why she is crying.

    http://www.tremeritus.com/2014/08/15...own-from-stta/

    But I think she is crying because she has tarnished the Sporting Spirit of the Games on behalf of Singapore.

    http://news.asiaone.com/news/sports/...t-their-medals
    She's one useless ########

  20. #80
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Why is she crying?
    She cries for a nation who is losing an outstanding talent.

    Last edited by Sion; 16th August 2014 at 12:51 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •