Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

Default Re: "Our" table tennis team winning gold

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    They win their golds. I get on with my life. Nothing to do with me.
    But you contribute to the money spent on them and their gold wor... so got something to do with you...

The problem is we do not have any sport talent in Singapore.

If you look around, do you know any of your friend or their family members are excellent in sport ?
    How many parent want or encourage their child/children to play football or any sport and hope that someday they can represent S'pore ?
    Does any sport councils or gahment body have incentive scheme to groom our kids when they're young and talented and represent the country someday ?

So, if SG want to get medals from every events they participate, then buying instant noodles is the solution.
    Sad thing is, some imported talent, after enjoying good benefit during their tenure retired and return to their native country instead of stay on to train our citizen. Li Jiawei is one of the example.

http://everythingalsocomplain.com/20...-to-singapore/

http://www.askmelah.com/foreign-sports-talent-scheme/

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    One is a club, one is a country. Singapore used mostly China players to win for us and hardly other countries doing that. Recent WC, Germany got foreign player in their team?
    If table tennis is as popular as soccer, these china players will be playing in various clubs to improve the local standard just like soccer. Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post

If table tennis is as popular as soccer, these china players will be playing in various clubs to improve the local standard just like soccer. Maybe?
    Every country got their own strength and weakness in sport. If china so solid in soccer, WC sure got a spot for them. Maybe they should start a shaolin soccer team in the future. Heh heh!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Singapore used mostly China players to win for us and hardly other countries doing that.
    Seems like quite a number of other countries have also had ex-chinese players representing them in table tennis.

Some players were born in China and left the country to play elsewhere - from Australia to Turkey, from Spain to Croatia. Others, like the US star player Ariel Hsing, were born in their native countries to parents from China.

Among the 70 women's players competing in the singles events, almost one third were born and trained in China. A dozen players in men's singles events are also formerly played for China. In some matches, players at both ends of the table were Chinese-born or of Chinese origin.

China is never short of table tennis talents as the country has invested heavily in the sport since Rong Guotuan claimed the 1959 world singles championship, the first world title of any sports for China.

The vast number of talents and intense competition has forced many Chinese players to look for a way to succeed. Some are eyeing opportunities to compete at international events, chances they may never have in China. Others, already well established, are hoping to make the most out of their talents.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/724223.shtml
    Other interesting reads:
    List of nationality transfers in sport
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sfers_in_sport

At the World Cup, Citizenship Becomes a Complicated Issue: Rule Changes Have Turned Building a Roster Into a Talent Grab
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/at-th...sue-1401403912

How many Sochi athletes are competing for a country that is not their birth nation?
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-birth-nation/

-----

I bet while bureaucrats everywhere try to 'buy' results in sports to stoke national pride, to these athletes involved, it's just a job that pays the bills. All the more sweeter if they get to represent their own country, but if they can't, and there's some other country willing to give them a shot at success, why not? I would take it. You would take it. Especially if there's a HDB mortgage waiting to be paid off...
    Last edited by kandinsky; 29th July 2014 at 11:48 PM.

What is the fuss about? 40% of Singapore population are foreigners (either converted to Citizenship or PR), so representing Singapore at international events not just sports is nothing to be alarmed.

As long as Singapore's flag and national anthem are raised and sang at these events, who cares whether they are original Singaporean or not. Our top brass hit their KPIs, that's matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    What is the fuss about? 40% of Singapore population are foreigners (either converted to Citizenship or PR), so representing Singapore at international events not just sports is nothing to be alarmed.

As long as Singapore's flag and national anthem are raised and sang at these events, who cares whether they are original Singaporean or not. Our top brass hit their KPIs, that's matter.
    Faster suggest to pm to buy over one of the top WC team n we got the chance to win next WC, isn't that better? Ha ha!

Our next foreign talent? Our volleyball team needs some talent injection also leh...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5625530.html

Derek's final today a result of FT? In my opinion it is. Today sports are not merely about passion for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by junction88 View Post
    The problem is we do not have any sport talent in Singapore.

If you look around, do you know any of your friend or their family members are excellent in sport ?
    That is not true... i do know a few friends who are excellent in sports. I know 1 guy who is part of the Singapore Wrestling Team and he complains the amount of support he gets from the Sports Council is close to nothing. Yet they trudge on...

I would rather the Gov spends less money on importing talents and start spending money to groom the local ppl... but sadly, that's not going to happen...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

It is not just about foreigners or not . But the lack of any development of the national sports programs and just poaching from other countries' training camps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Our next foreign talent? Our volleyball team needs some talent injection also leh...

I think we need to cross breed Singaporeans for the volleyball team. No height advantage if we depend on locals. Get our local boys to court more Russian girls......
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Blog Entries

If Singaporeans can speak Mandarin like Feng Tian Wei, then I would be mighty proud of the table tennis team's achievements at the games.:-P

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post

I think we need to cross breed Singaporeans for the volleyball team. No height advantage if we depend on locals. Get our local boys to court more Russian girls......
    Later become super saiyan type! Ha ha!

http://www.theage.com.au/commonwealt...802-zzpb1.html

Some aussie is criticizing sg for buying off-the-shelf players.
    Most singaporeans agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post

Thanks for posting! Good stuff!
    Can we exchange all our useless table tennis players and their gold medals for her?

Blog Entries

Later become super saiyan type! Ha ha!
    No choice lah...... It is either this or they allow stilts in volleyball.... Lolx

Our table tennis doing what some did during school time. Copy other home work and claim their own credit. Or cheat during test by bully/ask those who got study for it. Totally no pride at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Faniel View Post
    That is not true... i do know a few friends who are excellent in sports. I know 1 guy who is part of the Singapore Wrestling Team and he complains the amount of support he gets from the Sports Council is close to nothing. Yet they trudge on...

I would rather the Gov spends less money on importing talents and start spending money to groom the local ppl... but sadly, that's not going to happen...

Ha Ha... When I say we don't have any sport talent it mean we don't have much talented sport person.

But I too agreed with you that our local Sports Council did not lend much assistance or financial helps to our very own sport person.
    We wish they should do more rather than import foreign talent.

Look at Singapore's only rower Saiyidah Aisyah Mohamed Rafa'ee, who won the SEA Games Gold recently with zero funding.

Below is the article link;

http://therealsingapore.com/content/...e-zero-funding

Did singapore win? I thought it is China Team B (Singapore Branch).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast