Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any zoom lens up to 400mm to recommend?

another advise is try not to stack TCs, go for those like 3rd party lenses like tamron or sigma. Tokina is good. but noisy i heard. however if u realli wish to go into telephotos. its always good and wonderful to move into telephoto primes. they will give u wonderful pics.

stacking TCs is still a realli bad idea unless u realli need the 400mm and willingly to compromise the image quality.

alternatively, u can go for the older lenses like AF models rather den the AFS ones. like me. i am too targeting the AF models..

so, how much roughly is a 2nd hand 3rd party AF-equivalent 400mm usually? juz askin

heh! even myself i also dunno.. i am looking at Nikons lah.. but i saw a Nikon 400 AI-P lens which is going for around 3k plus. its a 1st generation of AF lenses.

and i saw a 600mm MF lens too .... but no price tag.

but i know it will be rather ex. prolly est 2-3k for a 400mm teleprime. 2nd hand.

Quote Originally Posted by besh
    i'm also looking for those >400 tele..... 80-400 is about 2.5k, and bigma 50-500 about 1.6K........ diff by 900.... 900 good enough to get a 12-24......
    which to go ? suggestion suggestion........
    80-400 AF is a VR lens...

Brother, the Sigma 400mm at Alex Photo is not working like you wish it was. The AF mechanism is dead, so you can't autofocus with it at all. It's VERY hard to find a Sigma 400mm F/5.6 that is already rechipped to work with the new digital bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    stacking TCs is still a realli bad idea unless u realli need the 400mm and willingly to compromise the image quality.
    Even wif original TC from nikon wif nikkors?? Pls enlighten...

Quote Originally Posted by rexlim
    yup but that depends on how much you are willing to compromise

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r
    Brother, the Sigma 400mm at Alex Photo is not working like you wish it was. The AF mechanism is dead, so you can't autofocus with it at all. It's VERY hard to find a Sigma 400mm F/5.6 that is already rechipped to work with the new digital bodies.
    i see.. i din go in and ask tats why.. when i go there. its always either the owner of the shop nt in or the shop is closed...

but its a good lens to start with.. too bad the chip is dead...

Quote Originally Posted by rexlim
    yes. compromised image quality. but if u can get the technique right, probably u will get sharp images.

but try nt to stack TCs lah.. if u need range, go for primes. its the best liao... or alternatively dun try to stack 2X TCs.. stack those which are 1.4 and 1.7X tcs. which may not be as jia lat as the 2Xs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12