Thread: Any method to dim out the building when shoot fireworks?

Default Any method to dim out the building when shoot fireworks?

When I look at other people's shots, I feel the buildings are usually too bright
    to me taste, is there any filters that can dim out some portion of the image?

perhaps after taking the photograph, post process it to suit your liking? somethign like layer mask or changing the layer properties. or maybe you could combine 2 shots together.

unless you are damn good at it, you can get a ND filter, drill a hole that you know would 'filter' off the exact background area, then use it, it would stop the certain amount of stops depending on the ND filter used...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Blog Entries

one exposure for the buildings without fireworks and another one for the fireworks and ps together

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    one exposure for the buildings without fireworks and another one for the fireworks and ps together
    u mean layer opacity 50% each or you mean cut & paste?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I got that by using a smaller aperture (around F11) and the shutter speed of about 4-5 sec.

I think it's yr settings.. test yr preshoot to get the best exposure for the buildings can use the same for the fireworks.. Mine usually comes out at ISO200, F8/11, around 4-8secs

Lee ND filters

if u got d budget can try graduated ND filter. place d ND side on d lower frame....

i nv try b4. jus my 2 cents worth...

Yup, tried this for long exposure shoot during star trails and it works out ok. You may want to familiarize yourself with the GND position -- almost impossible to see it in the dark. Be warned, the screw-on type (less $$$) is hard to find so plan to search a bit.

Alternate: Take 2 frames: one of only the bldgs and one of the fireworks with the bldgs, without moving the cam. Then crop away the bottom half of the over exposed bldgs and paste only the fireworks into the top half of the correctly exposed buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    if u got d budget can try graduated ND filter. place d ND side on d lower frame....

i nv try b4. jus my 2 cents worth...
    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    When I look at other people's shots, I feel the buildings are usually too bright
    to me taste, is there any filters that can dim out some portion of the image?
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

ask the management of the building to turn off all their lights because they are distracting during the firework?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    ask the management of the building to turn off all their lights because they are distracting during the firework?
    OMG. Who is so powerful?

btw whats your surname? cos i think you need to turn off lights from all the BUILDINGS not building...

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt

btw whats your surname? cos i think you need to turn off lights from all the BUILDINGS not building...
    Laden? threaten those who turn on their lights will be.......

just joking, wait ISD come check on me

do you have their contact numbers a not huh, I only got pub contact.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel
    do you have their contact numbers a not huh, I only got pub contact.
    one way is like matrix, blow up the power plant. Oh... the back-up one as well

More and more astray, I have got some answers so I am locking up this thread.
    Sorry everybody.