Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: CMOS VS CCD | DC's battery life

  1. #1

    Default CMOS VS CCD | DC's battery life

    Hi,

    hmm..... why is CMOS sensor inferior compared with CCD? Because of higher noise? and???

    Another question, how long do you all think a typical DC with fully charged batteries able to last continuously with the LCD switched on? On average?

    thanx in advanced

    P.S CMOS stands for Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor right?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    thought CMOS generates less heat and would have lower noise levels during long exposures?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  3. #3

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    thought CMOS generates less heat and would have lower noise levels during long exposures?
    Sorry I not very sure. Then why is CCD used in most digital camera instead of CMOS?

  4. #4

    Default

    CMOS is not inferior to CCD. What gives u that impression?

    mpengza is probably right on his statement

    CMOS is still rather 'new' technology compared to CCD.
    In the long run CMOS is much cheaper than CCD as most wafer fabs today can produce the CMOS whilst CCD needs special fabs to produce.

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by Shadus
    CMOS is not inferior to CCD. What gives u that impression?

    mpengza is probably right on his statement

    CMOS is still rather 'new' technology compared to CCD.
    In the long run CMOS is much cheaper than CCD as most wafer fabs today can produce the CMOS whilst CCD needs special fabs to produce.
    oh, i see. Then why is CCD being used as the sensor than CMOS in most digital cameras?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by revenant


    oh, i see. Then why is CCD being used as the sensor than CMOS in most digital cameras?
    because it's an existing technology. e.g. CCD has been used in scanners for years (decades?) while cmos scanners are just coming into being over the 2-3 years.

    lowend webcams and digicams (e.g. Koday PalmPix for Palm 3 series) use CMOS and highend ones (Canon D30, D60) use CMOS too! but there's definitely a big difference in quality between the two types.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  7. #7

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza


    because it's an existing technology. e.g. CCD has been used in scanners for years (decades?) while cmos scanners are just coming into being over the 2-3 years.

    lowend webcams and digicams (e.g. Koday PalmPix for Palm 3 series) use CMOS and highend ones (Canon D30, D60) use CMOS too! but there's definitely a big difference in quality between the two types.
    oh, never knew D30 and D60 uses CMOS.

    So, it can be said that CMOS is better than CCD instead?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    can't really say that too

    top of the line Canon 1D uses CCD and cheap webcam cum digicams uses CMOS
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    can't really say that too

    top of the line Canon 1D uses CCD and cheap webcam cum digicams uses CMOS
    So, each has its own pros and cons, can't really determine which is better?

  10. #10

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    can't really say that too

    top of the line Canon 1D uses CCD and cheap webcam cum digicams uses CMOS
    That just changed slightly with the top of the line (in megapix) Canon 1Ds uses CMOS! (11megapix of it entirely in CMOS )

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by revenant


    So, each has its own pros and cons, can't really determine which is better?
    At this moment, yes, can't really tell.
    But i've to mention again, CMOS in the long run is much cheaper in production compared to CCD. Once those CMOS producers recover their research cost, then i forsee the cost of CMOS dropping.

  12. #12

  13. #13

  14. #14

  15. #15

  16. #16

  17. #17

    Default



    thanks.
    Last edited by revenant; 2nd October 2002 at 07:50 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: CMOS VS CCD | DC's battery life

    Originally posted by revenant

    Another question, how long do you all think a typical DC with fully charged batteries able to last continuously with the LCD switched on? On average?

  19. #19

    Default

    typically, all dpreview's DC is tested for their battery life using their standard test

    For example,

    you can surf around and read the reviews of other DC

  20. #20

    Default

    Originally posted by Shadus
    typically, all dpreview's DC is tested for their battery life using their standard test

    For example,

    you can surf around and read the reviews of other DC
    thanx very much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •