Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UV Filter?

Default Just to ask...

I think this issue has been discussed many many times before... and probably sparked off a flame war or something...

I used to think that B+W filters are the only ones to get, because they are german glass (and hearvier too, due to the brass ring that they use).

But later, I bought some Hoya HMC filters too, and I couldn't see any differences between my pictures... so I decided to go with Hoya instead. Cheaper as well...

But now comes the $1,000,000 question...
    What are the differences between a Hoya SHMC and HMC filter?

I just got 67mm and 52mm Hoya SHMC UV filters from CP.. and I had to order them.

I initally wanted to get the HMC variants, as they were in stock, and I wouldn't have to make separate trips down... But the price differences were totally minimal ($30 vs $35 for HMC and SHMC for 67mm).
    Being a newbie @ all those filters and what-not, I decided to pay extra for the SHMC variants... since they were not that more expensive.

So, are the SHMC variants worth getting, or is there no apparent differences between a HMC and a SHMC version?
    Last edited by SNAG; 6th October 2002 at 06:23 PM.

I guess it depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. Placed side by side, I can definitely tell the difference between a Hoya HMC and Super HMC filter by the amount of light they reflect, but to be honest I doubt that it'll make that much of a real difference in your photos, especially if you've already got a good lens hood on to reduce flare. So it's pretty much a toss-up. Btw I find that Super HMC filters are somewhat harder to clean than the normal HMC ones.

i got a plain vanilla uv filter n there seems to be a spot in the centre n wouldnt go off.....

it seems to affect some nite shots with a "spot" when i zoom in full.....does that mean its a goner oredi?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12