Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

Default Re: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

A friend of mine, a senior ex-SAF officer who was in the physical training division, is quite unhappy about the new changes.

According to him, in actual field studies, "pull" strength matters a lot more than "push" strength. Chin-up exercises the pull muscles while push up exercises the push muscles.

Shuttle run relates to assessing agility - the ability to accelerate, decelerate and change direction without drastic lost in speed and this is related to combat task of fire and movement.

Standing board jumps assess lower body strength - again, proven to be needed in combat.

All in, he feels as assessment goes, it is going in the wrong direction. Of course, the bigger issue is the 70% failure.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    A friend of mine, a senior ex-SAF officer who was in the physical training division, is quite unhappy about the new changes. According to him, in actual field studies, "pull" strength matters a lot more than "push" strength. Chin-up exercises the pull muscles while push up exercises the push muscles. Shuttle run relates to assessing agility - the ability to accelerate, decelerate and change direction without drastic lost in speed and this is related to combat task of fire and movement. Standing board jumps assess lower body strength - again, proven to be needed in combat. All in, he feels as assessment goes, it is going in the wrong direction. Of course, the bigger issue is the 70% failure.
    By right the SAF should look at why 70% of soldiers could not pass the test.

If they make the field training tougher for NSman them they also afraid the parents complain their son couldnt take the training as we had seem few cases of soldier collapsed during field training.

Today papers. SAF Officer come out and clarify that by reducing the numbers of test station. The fitness of soldier is not compromise.

I think, if you are physically fit. You will passed 5 stations. If you are not physically fit, you might not pass 3 stations.

If 70% fail A levels, wonder if the standards will be lowered.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    If 70% fail A levels, wonder if the standards will be lowered.
    Talk about that, NUS is lowering the passing grade so more ppl will get the degree.

Quote Originally Posted by junction88 View Post
    Talk about that, NUS is lowering the passing grade so more ppl will get the degree.
    Locals complain upstairs not cutting them some slack leh.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    A friend of mine, a senior ex-SAF officer who was in the physical training division, is quite unhappy about the new changes.

According to him, in actual field studies, "pull" strength matters a lot more than "push" strength. Chin-up exercises the pull muscles while push up exercises the push muscles.

Shuttle run relates to assessing agility - the ability to accelerate, decelerate and change direction without drastic lost in speed and this is related to combat task of fire and movement.

Standing board jumps assess lower body strength - again, proven to be needed in combat.

All in, he feels as assessment goes, it is going in the wrong direction. Of course, the bigger issue is the 70% failure.
    We shouldnt just look at the new system.

Yes, the test exclude shuttle run, chin up, SBJ.

BUT do we know whether the units will be making soldiers to continue doing the 3 tests as a daily regular exercise? For all you know, MINDEF may issue another directive internal to all units, to continue training soldiers in these 3 tests as part of daily regime.

Don't count chickens before they hatch. There's always more than meets the eye. Don't take everything at face value

Anyway, push up can replace chin ups. One way to improve chin up is to do more push up. I did it personally and results have proven it.

My experience is to keep doing push up, then change to diamond push up. and my chin up improved dramatically.

Pls tell this to your officer friend.

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Can start to learn proper push up from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR1IxZDX8jQ
    That's why I laugh at those who ya ya in this forum, saying that they can get gold, blah blah.

I can tell u, most of us, our push up are half F type. Honestly, I don't see many proper push up. Most of us are like making love to the floor while doing push up.

Proper push up are difficult to do and do well consistently in one full minute.

The PTI will just keep saying no count........

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    That's why I laugh at those who ya ya in this forum, saying that they can get gold, blah blah.

I can tell u, most of us, our push up are half F type. Honestly, I don't see many proper push up. Most of us are like making love to the floor while doing push up.

Proper push up are difficult to do and do well consistently in one full minute.

The PTI will just keep saying no count........
    True.

As a former RT regular.

Although the test have been reduce to 3 stations. It doesn't mean that the test will be easier.

I can ensure you that ...

Those who failed 2.4KM will continue to fail 2.4KM.
    Those who failed chin up will fail push up.

There are very few people who fail shutter run, board jump and sit up.
    Taking away shutter run and board jump will not reduce the failure rate.

It may make it easier to train but not easier to pass.

For those Singaporean, who don't have work life balance, they can forget about passing the test.
    Last edited by Yutaka Go; 26th July 2014 at 03:39 PM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

20 push-up and sit up a day. 30-45 mins jogging 2-3 times per week will guarantee you pass the 6 station. Many can't achieve gold in standing board jump in my unit during my active days. Chin up and 2.4km became a problem after we ORD. Most pass in my unit but Silver. To get Gold when you are a NS men you need to train regularly or at least 2-3 months of intensive training before the test.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123