Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Just saw the passing marks. I think I can pass easily even obese. Like that our army no need to fight for war liao. Last time really test our fitness.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Yah very easy to pass now, just reasonably not weak do pushup situps, 2.4 will have lotsa time to pass..

    Nxt year can boast Saf all very fit..lol

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Lower the standard, so more can pass.. Are we accepting mediocrity here? :-(
    If you think the new standard is easy, then go for gold lor. Better yet, go for perfection.

    I don't see how doing 60 push-ups and sit ups in 1 minute is possible, even in my fittest moments.

    I certainly won't try for 8:30 for the 2.4km run.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saberlancer View Post
    Points can transfer, if can run away fast then no nd be able to do so many sit/push ups..lol
    I certainly won't adopt this strategy. Marginal returns for that additional bit of work!

    I think in the end, to go for gold will be no different than before. Do the necessary minimum number of sit-ups and push ups and run at a respectable speed.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  5. #25

    Default

    Actually, I am curious. Having run through the entire thread, it seems that most people are skeptical about the new system? Why so?

    I am actually quite happy with it. Less time spend overall to perform the test, and I can (hopefully) still get the various cash awards.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  6. #26
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Actually sit ups and push ups are things you can do easily at home and on a regular basis. More practical than chin ups and shuttle run.

  7. #27
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Actually, I am curious. Having run through the entire thread, it seems that most people are skeptical about the new system? Why so?
    I guess they are skeptical about the entire concept of Singapore Army with its readiness approach that certainly was appropriate in the 70s but is no longer today. The enemy of the past is no longer there, the political landscape has changed and global / regional alliances have created a new balance. But still, the boys of this country are treated as if the enemy will strike any time within 48h.
    Without clear enemy and motivation nobody wants to run for IPPT. The latent fear and scaremongering of the past wears off after the years.
    EOS

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    347

    Default Re: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

    What next?

    Carry step ladder for SOC low wall?
    Use a cheery picker for the high rope?

    This is nothing but wayang and playing statistic. This COA really comes in at the right time.

    In his resume, he can boast one of the biggest achievement is that all the men in his tenure has tremendously "improve" their fitness test. With this achievement, he can parachute in as head of some stat board later.

    While the MOD will claim that he has listen to the voters, sorry I mean ordinary Singaporean's "grieve" and take appropriate action.

    EisMann

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I guess they are skeptical about the entire concept of Singapore Army with its readiness approach that certainly was appropriate in the 70s but is no longer today. The enemy of the past is no longer there, the political landscape has changed and global / regional alliances have created a new balance. But still, the boys of this country are treated as if the enemy will strike any time within 48h. Without clear enemy and motivation nobody wants to run for IPPT. The latent fear and scaremongering of the past wears off after the years.
    Yeah. I understand that. Nonetheless, this discussion is about the new IPPT standards. All things being the same, NSMen still have to pass an annual fitness test, of which is now simpler, and presumably faster to complete.

    To the folks who think it is now easier to pass, isn't this an excellent opportunity to go for gold and get S$400 per year? I mean, free money leh. You don't want meh? I see IPPT as a mere extension of my personal fitness regime, with an extra bit of money per year to boot.

    I have met with some inconveniences, like having IPPT cancelled due to inclement weather days before my window closing, as well as the trouble of organizing IPPT during ICT, but overall, I think the system is still alright.
    Last edited by Blur Shadow; 25th July 2014 at 11:12 AM.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  10. #30

    Default Re: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

    Quote Originally Posted by EisMann View Post
    This is nothing but wayang and playing statistic.
    All this is wayang. Bang, bang, bang, enemy destroyed. Only the sh1t and wasted time is real.

  11. #31
    Member armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pinnacle@Duxton
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

    Seem not that difficult to pass, perhaps more NSmen will get gold
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    _____________________________________
    ***People only failed when they give up***

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Seem not that difficult to pass, perhaps more NSmen will get gold
    Not so ez.

    How many proper push up can a typical guy do in one min?

    The army still haven't tell us what they looking for as proper push up.

    And are we doing it on flat ground or down slope angle.

  13. #33
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    To the folks who think it is now easier to pass, isn't this an excellent opportunity to go for gold and get S$400 per year? I mean, free money leh. You don't want meh? I see IPPT as a mere extension of my personal fitness regime, with an extra bit of money per year to boot.
    $400 per year? Come on, do some Math about the time you have to take to get $400. Even office admin workers have a better hourly rate than this. Another reason why hardly anybody is excited about this. If you don't need to put in any extra efforts than it's fine for you. The average Joe with job, family and other obligations might not have the time and the interest to run around the block at night for $400 bucks. Maybe someone should tell these army folks that monetary incentives are no longer the way to make things attractive.
    EOS

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    $400 per year? Come on, do some Math about the time you have to take to get $400. Even office admin workers have a better hourly rate than this. Another reason why hardly anybody is excited about this. If you don't need to put in any extra efforts than it's fine for you. The average Joe with job, family and other obligations might not have the time and the interest to run around the block at night for $400 bucks. Maybe someone should tell these army folks that monetary incentives are no longer the way to make things attractive.
    Ok. So maybe the good thing is that I am not encumbered by family obligations, but I do get thrilled when I receive the S$400. Plus, isn't this more about personal fitness? I would really hate myself if I start wearing XXL pants.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  15. #35
    Member JJFAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Ok. So maybe the good thing is that I am not encumbered by family obligations, but I do get thrilled when I receive the S$400. Plus, isn't this more about personal fitness? I would really hate myself if I start wearing XXL pants.
    A person will only regrets when health & fitness are not regained

  16. #36

    Default

    Maybe I should elaborate further.

    My points are:

    - if the tests are too easy to pass, then shouldn't the fit NSMen, whom I presume is everyone here who are bemoaning about how easy it is to pass, to go for gold without any additional effort, or perhaps with less effort now that there are fewer stations, and get free cash?

    - so maybe S$400 isn't a lot. But the point is, it is free. If getting gold is as easy as breathing in air, from all that I am hearing, who wouldn't want free money?

    - isn't physical fitness a personal thing? I mean, would you be impressed with yourself if you have a 40" waist, or if you are unable to climb a few flights of stairs without panting? It's all part of good health, isn't it?

    - as donut88 has pointed out, there are still some details not announced. I would really hate it when I do 60 push ups and all the fitness trainer or the machine would say is "no count". So I think it is important for people to try out 1 test first. I am honestly not that hopeful of getting gold under the new test conditions.
    Last edited by Blur Shadow; 25th July 2014 at 01:18 PM.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  17. #37
    Member armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pinnacle@Duxton
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

    Can start to learn proper push up from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR1IxZDX8jQ
    _____________________________________
    ***People only failed when they give up***

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Army got one says"my grandmother also can do better than you". Seem to be true now, ha ha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  19. #39

    Default Re: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Army got one says"my grandmother also can do better than you". Seem to be true now, ha ha!
    Yes! Sir!

  20. #40

    Default Re: New IPPT system, fewer stations, seem easier too

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    The army still haven't tell us what they looking for as proper push up.

    And are we doing it on flat ground or down slope angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Can start to learn proper push up from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR1IxZDX8jQ
    I remembered during the airborne course selection the passing is something like 60 push-up per minute. The way it is done is different from normal army pushups. Initially I had a lot of no counts because when I went down, my chest did not fully touch the ground. Finally the second try is easy as I would fully rest on the floor (on instructor's palm) before pushing up. Might be done this way. Of course level ground, no resting on knees, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •