Thread: any fisheye adapter for use with DSLR?

Default any fisheye adapter for use with DSLR?

Hi folks,

I thought it might be fun to try out a fisheye adapter on my D70, but not sure if they are sold in SG, or if the image quality is acceptable on a DSLR. Anyone know?

Blog Entries

there is another thread in the nikon sub-forum talking around the similar topic of FEs on digital bodies.

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=142844

there is also another thread which i would like to refer you to, in consumer corner. it is an old MO thread for Zenitar 16f2.8 FE.

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=124603

in summary - using non-DX FE (e.g. AF-D 16f2.8) on a digital body (1.5 x crop) would basically leave you with a rather "normal" picture, with akward distortions in the corners of the shot. you "loose" a lot of the desired FE distortion in the crop. the zenitar would be no different, except you have to do manual focus and metering. zenitar 16f2.8 FEs come with "buildt-on" nikon mount, or M42 mounts with separate nikon adaptor.

for digital bodies, best try the AF 10.5f2.8 DX (if you have the $$) or the peleng 8f3.5 (plus nikon adaptor). but if you just want to know where you can get one of these M42->Nikon adaptors, try fotographix @ lucky chinatown.

hope this helps.

thanks, i'm aware of those threads, but don't have the need to spend that much for a lens.

i'm thinking about mounting a fisheye adaptor in front of a lens (which i've read can give somewhat poor results, but still cheaper). in any case, it would retain metering ability.

what's useful is your info on where to get an M42 adaptor. someone asked me not long ago.

what's useful is your info on where to get an M42 adaptor. someone asked me not long ago.
    Then you can mount a M42 screw mount lense to your nikon .
    although i do not know why it's being told in the thread..
    yeah, maybe the peleng was m42 mount, and u need the m42 with optic then u can mount it on nikon body and focus to infinity.

i do already have an M42 lens with adaptor. it works on my MF nikon, though slower operation.

M42s are worse on the lower-end nikons. no metering. that's why i'm thinking about an on-the-lens FE adaptor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d7t3
    i'm thinking about mounting a fisheye adaptor in front of a lens (which i've read can give somewhat poor results, but still cheaper). in any case, it would retain metering ability.
    sorry dude!! read you all wrong!! now i know what you're talking about... but sadly am unable to help in advising where to buy.

from what i understand of them, the attachment optics are not very good (prone to flare and soft), but it's not too bad as a "toy" lense adaptor to give you the addition view at a "small" cost (that's relative)!!

i'll keep my eyes open, but can try photographix or k-13 (don't flame me here... i just don't know any others places that would possibly carry such stuff)

no worries mate. i think i know what u mean