Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Lightsphere vs Stofen

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default

    I find a bounce card works better than a omnibounce at times too, esp for outdoors. Omnibounce practically does nothing when used outdoors. Lightsphere on the other hand performs pretty well for both in and outdoor situations. One major con is that its actually pertty heavy. At times when shooting in portrait mode, the flash head cannot take the weight of the LS vertically and will swing down.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

  2. #22
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    If I have to choose between a omnibounce and a bounce cards (4x6), Ill take bounce card. But if Im shooting in a small area with low ceiling, like HDB living room, I just aim the flash head up and use the catchlight bounce card.

    Not all device produce the same result, it also depend on your shoot style, and taste.

    As for lightsphere, not everyone will like to use it for many reasons, but for me, I prefer to use it, and should get another one for backup.

    Btw, thanks shahrecover for sharing his finding.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splutter
    I find a bounce card works better than a omnibounce at times too, esp for outdoors. Omnibounce practically does nothing when used outdoors. Lightsphere on the other hand performs pretty well for both in and outdoor situations. One major con is that its actually pertty heavy. At times when shooting in portrait mode, the flash head cannot take the weight of the LS vertically and will swing down.
    You have the LightSphere too??

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    that's quite bad!

    I used the Lightsphere at a wedding once and handheld it all the way

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    got it from the clubsnapper that brings it in. he's (weekh) still selling if I'm not wrong.
    Thanks for the tips!

  6. #26
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    that's quite bad!

    I used the Lightsphere at a wedding once and handheld it all the way
    Maybe you and Splutter should use Nikon, SB800 are more rugged.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Maybe you and Splutter should use Nikon, SB800 are more rugged.
    u sure abt the ruggedness? 580EX could take the weight of the Lightsphere well

  8. #28
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    u sure abt the ruggedness? 580EX could take the weight of the Lightsphere well
    Sure, I believe so, but mine is heavily used, need another SB800 very soon.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    I want a LightSphere demo!!!

  10. #30
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    I want a LightSphere demo!!!
    PM weekh

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default

    catchlights, i dun think the sb800 can take the weight of the lightsphere when its tilted upwards shooting in portrait mode too leh, hehez. Esp when I find it's optimum to tilt it slightly forward instead of pointing upwards like what the instructions said.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

  12. #32
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Why can't? If it aims straight up, it balances better also, but are you referring the result of the pictures?

  13. #33

    Default

    hmmm...just use a translucent plastic bag and a rubber band, at time a piece of tissue will do the job.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default

    Ya, pics looks better when its tilted a little forward. Maybe it's just me, hahaz
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

  15. #35
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    This is no foolproof thing, after using for a while, you'll know which way will produce the result you're looking for, it also change my shooting style a bit.

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    If I have to choose between a omnibounce and a bounce cards (4x6), Ill take bounce card. But if Im shooting in a small area with low ceiling, like HDB living room, I just aim the flash head up and use the catchlight bounce card.

    Not all device produce the same result, it also depend on your shoot style, and taste.

    As for lightsphere, not everyone will like to use it for many reasons, but for me, I prefer to use it, and should get another one for backup.

    Btw, thanks shahrecover for sharing his finding.
    Cheers!
    i'm still new and learning, so sharing benefits me in learning.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    The most significant problem with the test is that the two shots are not the same.... the composition has changed and that changes also the light that is captured on the sensor... the camera should be mounted on a tripod and then take the shots... it would be a better test of the lighting characteristics of the Omnibounce and LightSphere. In addition, it would be better to use a human subject... can use yourself lor...

    Otherwise the Lightsphere is probably better cos it has thinner material... the Omnibounce has very thick plastic so it cuts a lot of light off... about 2-3 stops... I prefer the bounce card as it can deflect frontal light to fill in the shadows...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •