Thread: Tripod Allowed on PLane As Carry-On Item?

Default Tripod Allowed on PLane As Carry-On Item?

Hi,

Would like to know since the airport & airline security so strict nowadays, are we allowed to bring tripod as a carry-on item? I mean, it may look like a gun, and it can be a weapon by itself too.
    Am travelling by Jetstar. Appreciate help on this.

Thanx alot!

It is not allowed.

Just to share my experience....

I went Bangkok for leisure cum fishing trip. Take budget airline 'Airasia'. I brought my fishing rod over to fish. At airport, the stuff require me to check in my fishing rod. It's not allow to bring up the plane as hand luggage. Then I mentioned that rod is very fragile thing. Can break easily if handle carelessly. They replied, will take good care of it but you still have to check it in as it's prohibited hand carry item.

The last 2 trips I went on... I on turkish airlines and the other on air seychelles, it was allowed....

I wasn't asked but if I was I would have to mention that it's expensive equipment made of carbon fibre that cracks easily.

I dunno with the rest here but i carry in my tripod when i travel. No problems so far.

Quote Originally Posted by s2s1
    It is not allowed.
    Well, it is allowed, I do it all the time.........the last time the security didn't ask anything, it was the stewardess who asked what it was, that's all......:-)

Hong Sien

Once I flew back from Tokyo to SIngapore and had lots of lenses in my trolleybag which I carried as handluggage , before entering the plane I was asked to check it in, and the poor guy was struggling with it as the weight was more than my check in luggage :-), no need to pay for overweight :-)

HS

Depending on the length of the tripod actually. I handcarried mine on my prev trip to canada via states, no qs asked. Only at Jap airport did the custome officer used a measuring tape to actually measure the length.

So i suggest checkout with the airline u'r flying in. M sure they have a limit to the length of the tripod.

Deregistered

This topic has been around for some time...

I brought a Gitzo CF up SIA and United airlines. In my haversack that is.

vince123123
    Guests

Lucky, hand carry usually have a limit of 8kg?

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Once I flew back from Tokyo to SIngapore and had lots of lenses in my trolleybag which I carried as handluggage , before entering the plane I was asked to check it in, and the poor guy was struggling with it as the weight was more than my check in luggage :-), no need to pay for overweight :-)

HS

Deregistered

Actually depends on the person is GL or not.. if not GL normally quite ok.

I've carried 3 haversacks, 2 big plastic bags up planes before... so far haven't seen any GL ones that prohibit that

vince123123
    Guests

haha really arh. Last time I had this idiot who weigh my hand luggage and said too heavy. Then I had to like transfer stuff from my hand luggage to the check in luggage at the stupid check in counter in front of everyone. better not risk it :P

Quote Originally Posted by espn

I've carried 3 haversacks, 2 big plastic bags up planes before... so far haven't seen any GL ones that prohibit that

Quote Originally Posted by espn

U are selfish lah, u deny other ppl that little space on the overhead compartment...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    haha really arh. Last time I had this idiot who weigh my hand luggage and said too heavy. Then I had to like transfer stuff from my hand luggage to the check in luggage at the stupid check in counter in front of everyone. better not risk it :P
    Yep.. that's why I say depend on luck factor + checking person GL or not had some asked to put their lugguage into the 'testing' area to see if acceptable or not too.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    U are selfish lah, u deny other ppl that little space on the overhead compartment...
    At least I don't drag those trolley lugguages up the plane

Anyway, even if you don't, others will