Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: why does a monk needs 15k/month salary?

Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus
    Hey..I don't really see the point.

Ming Yi didn't do much of that. If you consider that he actually needs to head a hospital and a temple, the pay isn't that high. We have a lot of colonels sitting around in SAF who earns that amount and do nothing.
    Yes, we all have the conception that monks must live simply etc, etc, but that isn't really true. It is a choice. Is he a lesser monk because of his pay?
    Priest? They earn a lot too. ARe we going to chatise them?
    I don't think monks should receive a salary for heading a temple, unlike other religions whose priests are offered salaries. Monks are supposed to live simply, so as to set a good example for their followers. Living a simple life is more conducive to one's spiritual practice. Remember this, a person chooses to become monk so that he can live a simple life(without luxury), not the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    Wearing a monk rope doesn't make one a monk... Opposite my block got 1 monk who appear on paper quite often, sometime see him drink beer with friends, smoke and new year time he organise lion dance for ang pao too. But other then that, he doesn't do bad thing lah. Just wierd.
    Dressing in a monk's robe and then goes around making business deals is itself a very bad karma in Buddhism. It would be even worse if he is a fully ordained monk. The result is pitiful, normally in hell after death.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim
    Dressing in a monk's robe and then goes around making business deals is itself a very bad karma in Buddhism. It would be even worse if he is a fully ordained monk. The result is pitiful, normally in hell after death.
    actually how many people believe in after death??

Default One hand clapping

Ever heard of one hand clapping? sound familiar, for the monk who koan this, I wonder what koan he would then say to a monk with big salary? I wish ....!!!

Why study so much and suffer working in 9-6 job? Let's go be monk

Quote Originally Posted by amospi
    actually how many people believe in after death??
    These people are pitiful because they do not know the serious consequences of their actions. Some know, but choose to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by amospi
    How you get that figure?
    u never read newspaper??

Shin Min Daily News tonight reported that show host Cao Qitai is paid $16,800 'red packet' per show. All other artiistes average 'about $5K to $6K' per stunt.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showp...9&postcount=48

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    u never read newspaper??

Shin Min Daily News tonight reported that show host Cao Qitai is paid $16,800 'red packet' per show. All other artiistes average 'about $5K to $6K' per stunt.

WOw.. No wonder they put in so much effort..

Default monk$

actually I don't worry about Ming Yi.
    This is a religious leader, not a charity con man who runs his fund raising machine like a heartless business. (you know who).

When Ming Yi risked his life rapelling down Suntec building after rain (slippery and wet), it is doing by example. Ming Yi did not ask others to risk their lives for donations. He did it personally. He did confess he was afraid.

The other CLOWN just forced TCS artistes to do dangerous stunts while he sat in the plush studio seat.

About money... now this is the difference between a charity CON MAN and a religious leader.

The charity conman needs to exploit others like sick patients, TCS stars, to get donations.

The religious leader only has to HINT. Not even ask.
    I am not kidding.

My friends tell me that when Kim Yam Rd religious building needed more space, they did not do a donation show.
    According to them, one of the Taiwanese followers of another monk, Ching Kung just wrote 1 cheque.
    To buy the whole next building. That's maybe 50 x $600,000. No need for deceitful charity shows with "lucky draws".

So these monks need money ? Nah.... They are not into this.
    They are not hard up of GOLD TAPS. They do not have a FIRST CLASS FETISH.
    People who have a FIRST CLASS FETISH are actually very insecure. They are screaming to the rest of the world : "Look here. I am Important ! See? I am flying FIRST CLASS"

I must say too, that one of the best examples of a charity worker was Mother Theresa (was she Catholic?)
    She slaved to serve the poorest for decades in India away from the lime light.
    She did not need $600,000 pay. SHE DID NOT SUE PEOPLE.
    When she won the Nobel Prize she said skip the expensive dinner and give the cost of the dinner to the poor.
    If Mother Theresa needed money she only had to hint and many Billionaires will rush to give her $$$$$. But of course she does not need such.
    She was a living Saint. An emissary of GOD.

Mother Teresa was a Catholic..........

5-6k i also wan to perform

However it'll be a disastrous if ppl stopped donating to the needy...wonder how would they feel now after all this scam?

ayoh, if attaching to worldly stuff like money, car, house is a sin, than he is doing what the religon teaches, i dont go hell, who go??
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    u never read newspaper??

no wonder Mr D is paid "peanut". how can lose the the artist, no face you know.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

dude, because in Japan, being a monk is a paid job, not a charity thing. wonder where you got the conveyor belt idea from.

Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus
    Hey..I don't really see the point.

Ming Yi didn't do much of that. If you consider that he actually needs to head a hospital and a temple, the pay isn't that high. We have a lot of colonels sitting around in SAF who earns that amount and do nothing.
    Yes, we all have the conception that monks must live simply etc, etc, but that isn't really true. It is a choice. Is he a lesser monk because of his pay?
    Priest? They earn a lot too. ARe we going to chatise them?
    If Ming Yi was a CEO, yes I think his pay is reasonable or even on the low side. BUT he is also a MONK.

Is he a lesser monk because of his pay? NO. it DEPENDS on what he does with it actually. That is why I raised the question of what he does with his money. If he donates his money to helping the poor or uses it for a good cause, then it is ok. But if he uses the 15k in pursuit of materialistic comfort, then it DOES make him a LESSER monk. A monk DOES have to live simply if he follows the precepts of buddism. Material attachments is REALLY a no no.

but I guess everyone is human and temptations is not that easy to resist. The path of buddhism is also not easy to follow.

Priests, I am not very familiar about the catholic faith, but I think their teachings does not emphasize that much about "desire and world attachments". Some priest do take a vow of poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fish
    TT's pay is actually not high if u compare it with the annual 'revenue' of NKF. Less than 1% i believe. If he could have gotten twice as much in a business orgnaisation, he could even be seen as compassionate and noble, couldn't he? The big problem to me, is the lack of transparency and disclosure of the inner workings of the organisation.

Unfortunately, we too have to bear some of the blame for how ridiculous the money raising scene has transformed into. Many of us wont be donating if not for the attractive prizes. How many of the winners actually returned the prizes? And how many of us only donate when we see artistes performing on tv?
    Annual 'revenue' as in a business organisation??? What is the product sold or service provided? Big sweep? A touching movie with real life sick people? Circus show with artiste as stunt performers? Giving people the peace of mind that they have contributed to helping kidney or cancer patients? Hmmm.... let me meditate on it to get more in depth understanding....

I agree that we have to blame ourselves if our motivating factor for donating is the prizes... But I think it is up to the donors, if the donor feels that the leader of the organisation should be paid peanuts, so be it...

There is no question on the monk's motive. But then if he is a buddish monk then it is important to know what is the teaching of a buddish monk. Monk in Japanese practise Zen buddism which is like Shaolin's monk. They believe in self sufficient and instant enlightenment. So they work in farm, practise kungfu etc.

Monks in Myammar, Thailand is another type of monk and their rope have 1 bare arm. These are closer to the original teaching of Buddha. They will go on to street and people will give them food, they chant and practice buddha teaching more faithfully.

I think our monk here are closer to the China's origin then India or SEA type. Maybe this explain their behavior and our understanding of monk not suppose to work or run charity maybe are restricted to what we see in teevee.

??

But then I'm no buddism, I practice Vampirism.

Default He did not receives $15K salary.

While I was reading this forum, I noticed that somebody said that Ven Shi(Renci CEO) is receiving 15k a month. Therefore I email Ren Ci, and I attach the following reply from Ren Ci. This should put to rest any doubts regarding the salary of Ven Shi.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The $15K monthly salary is accorded to the highest paid executive of Ren Ci Hospital & Medicare Centre. This executive is responsible for the medical, administrative and day to day operations of the hospital.

Our CEO/ Chairman, Venerable Shi Ming Yi donates his salary back to the organisation and our related centres for the elderly and children when he was receiving a salary.However at the moment, Venerable Shi is entirely a volunteer and thus is not receiving any salary.
    But Venerable Shi does not expect everyone to share his spirit of philanthropy, as this is his personal belief. He also adds that he does not expect everybody to be doing the same as they have family commitments.

Having said all that, though a monk receives lodging and food from a temple, a monk still has to communicate with the 'outside' world. He still has to pay for expenses when he takes the bus and when he orders from a hawker. So yes, whilst you are correct in saying that as a religious figure, one should not be receiving any money, we have also to look at the practicalities of the 21st century.

Please email me again if I can answer any further queries.

Best regards,

Alison Hack

Corporate Affairs & Resource Development

Ren Ci Hospital & Medicare Centre

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I found this from another website. All doubts are cleared now. Ven Shi Ming Yi is an exemplary monk, I hope more people can learn from him.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    ayoh, if attaching to worldly stuff like money, car, house is a sin, than he is doing what the religon teaches, i dont go hell, who go??
    Just to clarify: in Buddhism there is no concept of 'sin', sin (as in Christianity and maybe some other religions) has the inclusion of a 'punishment' by a greater being. In Buddhism, it is the effect of being attached that comes back at you......

Great to hear that the Ven. donates his pay (when he get one) back to the organisation. Lets use that as an example for all of us.........I have just donated my peanuts salary to the Charity group of Peanut workers........

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    ........I have just donated my peanuts salary to the Charity group of Peanut workers........
    Thanks for your generous HK$80,000 cheque.

CGPW
    (Charity Group of Peanut Workers)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast