Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: why does a monk needs 15k/month salary?

Does a Monk need to use Mont Blanc pen (which cost at least 200 bucks) where he can use a Pilot G2 (less than $3). Does he need to drive a big and lux car?
    Talk about compassion as there are so many sentient beings suffering in Singapore and others from many parts of the world while he is enjoying himself wif all those lux lifestyle? Even Lord Buddha himself live in provety and beg for alms...Lord Buddha does not even have any processions at all...He was once a Prince and He gave out all those enjoyment as He realised that life is full of sufferings after He seen the 4 sights - birth, old age, sickness and death.
    Isn't those $$$ spend on his car, pen and others be better spent on helping other people?
    Next time dun anyhow talk about compassion b4 reflecting on self!

Quote Originally Posted by amospi
    How you get that figure?
    By meditation.

Wearing a monk rope doesn't make one a monk... Opposite my block got 1 monk who appear on paper quite often, sometime see him drink beer with friends, smoke and new year time he organise lion dance for ang pao too. But other then that, he doesn't do bad thing lah. Just wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    Wearing a monk rope doesn't make one a monk... Opposite my block got 1 monk who appear on paper quite often, sometime see him drink beer with friends, smoke and new year time he organise lion dance for ang pao too. But other then that, he doesn't do bad thing lah. Just wierd.
    It is totally wrong lo...imagine a Police wearing the uniform go and rob the bank, wat da ya think? He is representing Police Force and this type of conduct is totally no-no! So a monk wearing a robe represent Buddhism and he is giving Buddhism a bad name.
    And also a monk drinking beer??? Maybe you will see him with Uncle Yama after he die.

Wont be surprise, many so call "religious" people are worst then some that do not have any religious.

Wont be surprise, many so call "religious" people are worst then some that do not have any religious.
    Truth

If some one slap on you left cheek ask them to slap on your right.. If you toke Ten dollars from your people ask them for another Ten dollars..

After reading the posts here, I fear the definition of a monk is being stretched to limits in this materialistic world by the modern commercial versions of "monks".

The image of a monk with a bowl in hand and a stick on the other, wearing straw slippers and yellow robe is disappearing. What we see now is a modern business executive monk wearing gold Rolex watch, Armani suits, Dunhill briefcase, Salvatore Ferragamo shoes and a body with the scent of Polo Ralph after-shave lotion.

Forking out money for commercial donations or buying those souvenirs and Bhuddist icons from the temples are helping them to get rich. We have to go back to embrace the teachings of Bhudda if we are the true believers.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    it was in one of the papers. I think it was Today.

Actually I though TT durai was not that highly paid cuz he really did a fantastic job for NKF. He is a secular guy and he NEVER said he is in it out of "compassion". He is entitles to what the board of directors think is appropriate. Actually logically if I am on the NKF board with 2 options
    1) put a $600k pay package and attract talented people and get 10 mil (just a figure) a year in donations
    2) put a $80k pay package and attract monkeys and get 1mil a year in donations

I may well choose 1.

The issue here is rather different. The renci monk almost ALWAYS portray himself as a monk on TV. Although I am no buddhist, but I studied it in Secondary school (was top in my school in buddhist studies as a subject not that mean anything much ) and I have a basic understanding of what it entails to be a buddhist monk. He DOES portray at least to me that he is in this renci hospital out of compassion, like what any buddisht monk should do as COMPASSION is central to buddism. I think it is one of the ways to enlightenment.

Unlike other religon, living simply without "pleasures" is one of the MAIN precepts of buddhism. I really hope that he does good things with his money like what a true monk will do.

Does he drive a CAR? what car?
    I believe that there are alot of very well qualified CEOs around who can raise the same amount of money if not more for a $10k-$15k salary. I think it's the moral conscience that stops some CEOs from raising such a huge amount of money. Like broadcasting kidney or cancer patients on the TV, having grand prices as lucky draw for donation programs, inflating the number of patients subsidised, deflating the no. of years the reserve will last etc. I personally feel that a charity organisation is fundamentally different from a profiting one in that the donors who provide the funding get no product or service in return unlike a profiting business. It is understandable and expected that donors get pissed if they find out that their hard-earned donated money is also funding very well paid professionals.

Hey..I don't really see the point.

People are pissed with T.T D because a large amt of our donation actually goes to his pay ( and probably the board too). What piss pple off too is that he goes around suing people for defamation that are actually true.

Ming Yi didn't do much of that. If you consider that he actually needs to head a hospital and a temple, the pay isn't that high. We have a lot of colonels sitting around in SAF who earns that amount and do nothing.
    Yes, we all have the conception that monks must live simply etc, etc, but that isn't really true. It is a choice. Is he a lesser monk because of his pay?
    Priest? They earn a lot too. ARe we going to chatise them?

Yeah true!!! For example this fat guy here -->

Think he is suffering in hell now...Uncle Yama treat him nice hot kopi-O!

Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus
    Hey..I don't really see the point.

People are pissed with T.T D because a large amt of our donation actually goes to his pay ( and probably the board too). What piss pple off too is that he goes around suing people for defamation that are actually true.

Ming Yi didn't do much of that. If you consider that he actually needs to head a hospital and a temple, the pay isn't that high. We have a lot of colonels sitting around in SAF who earns that amount and do nothing.
    Yes, we all have the conception that monks must live simply etc, etc, but that isn't really true. It is a choice. Is he a lesser monk because of his pay?
    Priest? They earn a lot too. ARe we going to chatise them?
    If the amount of pay go to his work at the hospital that a different story.. but if the amount of pay go for the charity work than that something wrong..
    But the biggest wrong doing that piss me off is still the amount charge to the phone call on top of the donation. It's more expensive than oversea call second to second rate.

Although I dun like TT, I din complain also. Why? Can't we see the entire NKF building? You think the sofa, or the piece of art painting is cheap? Why then question the tap etc? Expected it shd be expensive what. TT is employed and ofcos I dun expect him to work like volenteer. However, I have my choice not to donate to NKF but donate my marnee somewhere else. I use to help then raise fund and giro my part of salary to them bcos I was once suffered from minor kidney prob and I voted to help when I started to work. But I have access that they do not need my money, I need the money more then them.

So I dun complain since I access the situation long ago and stop my donation. As for Ren Ci, I think the organisation is good but I do not agree 100% on the way they do things too. I believe there are better way therefore I never donate to them too and likewise, I think people like spca or cat's wellfare need my money more then these since we human tends to help human.

Depends how much you think he is worth!!!!!!

You do not need a god or saint, monk or priest, all we need is a mad man and people can blindly follow these mad man to kill others or sacrify their own life. These happen many time in history, WWI/WWII etc.

The only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history.

You do not need a god or saint, monk or priest, all we need is a mad man and people can blindly follow these mad man to kill others or sacrify their own life. These happen many time in history, WWI/WWII etc.

The only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history.
    Funny enough those who lead are not very good looking or muncho or.. rather they are quite weird looking at time but still they manage to get follower to kill each other/war...
    I think they all have very special communication skill.

cos many of these followers r easily been influence n sick in some way. eg. people burn themselve believing they have supernatural power and will go heaven etc.

it is like when u go to a rock concert, even u are not rock fan, u will get influence and started to follow the crowd singing, dancing etc.

cos many of these followers r easily been influence n sick in some way. eg. people burn themselve believing they have supernatural power and will go heaven etc.

it is like when u go to a rock concert, even u are not rock fan, u will get influence and started to follow the crowd singing, dancing etc.
    But not to the exten of tear away shirt or stick out the tongue thing etc..
    So what make them kill themself... Words of courage from a extreme skillfull communicator.

i wont be surprise if he drive a mer-ce-de and wear a wig to disco yeah ?

TT's pay is actually not high if u compare it with the annual 'revenue' of NKF. Less than 1% i believe. If he could have gotten twice as much in a business orgnaisation, he could even be seen as compassionate and noble, couldn't he? The big problem to me, is the lack of transparency and disclosure of the inner workings of the organisation.

Unfortunately, we too have to bear some of the blame for how ridiculous the money raising scene has transformed into. Many of us wont be donating if not for the attractive prizes. How many of the winners actually returned the prizes? And how many of us only donate when we see artistes performing on tv?

Singaporeans wants everything free for themselves and nothing for free for others. It's just the way we were, are and will be.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast