Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why does a monk needs 15k/month salary?

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Monks, priests, christian pastors... whatever... At the end of the day, everyone of them is a human. Strip them of their robes they are all the same. At the end of the day, CEOs, scholars, prime ministers etc etc.. All are humans. To say $ means little to humans is an understatement I think. No matter how much you can proclaim you are pious, etc etc, do things for other "higher' reasons, we are all tempted by worldly pleasures in one way or another.

Priests in corruption and child abuse, monks in adultery, pastors who lead a "glitzy" Hollywood lifestyle... ALL ARE HUMANS!
    A majority of the religious folks have got something called Passion, Passion for the religion, for God. They devote their lives to it, in exclusion of other worldly stuff. Just like some of us have got Passion for Photo. With that, they do not think of material things, or be easily tempted.

In every sector, there are bound to be some black sheeps around and they get all the publicity.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    why does anyone needs 15k/month salary?
    Money is evil
    nah....the *love* of money is the root of all evil.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Lightbulb

the not-too-long ago case of a catholic church and one of its pastor named kang came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    Churches? Yes, some churches collect like 10% of the salary of the entire congregation, which amounts to some indecent some of money. They can build huge churches and pay their pastors and all fat pay. Subject to abuse, and becos the amount is so huge and it become tempting for some. Moreover, the control is not tight and they got trust in the name of God. Sooner or later, we might hear some scandal involving church funds.

actually, it is father kang.

just to clarify (not defend, im way over the hill with my religion and the chruch already), kang's case was worth mention in the press on the basis of morality, and of mis-approriations of funds - siphoning money out which didn't belong to him (rather diff from durai and ren ci's case).

catholic diocesan priests only take 2 vows - the vow of obedience, and the vow of chastity. this is opposed to other less well-recognised catholic orders such as la sallian brothers, which take a 3rd vow of poverty. although it still questions the fundimentals of religious leaders, it more or less formally addresses the issue.

the catholic chruch is very public about this, and receives its stipen directives from the vatican itself. wat does irk me though, is the secrecy the vatican bank has, with how and where the monies collect from all over the world is invested.

The Catholic church is relatively poor compared to other churches becos catholics are free to donate whatever amount be it 2, 10 or 50 bucks and not compelled to give 10% of their earnings. Yet, Catholic churches are still well maintained and the Priests are not materially deprived.

The Vatican is another story with the huge amount of fund - but from where? In any case, the Vatican is one of the oldest institution around the world. Just see how many heads of state were involved in the arrival of the new Pope Benedict.

If you happen to be in Europe, shouldn't miss visiting the Vatican - worth every minute of the visit.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I am always very curious about how much the renci's CEO monk earns and I finally found that out. 15k/month. well it is not a lot for a CEO but it is way too high for a monk.

I really wonder if he really is a monk... or does he donates his salary to Renci and live simply like a monk should? does anyone know anything about his liefstyle?

One of the 8 sins: Envy.

Quote Originally Posted by LimCB
    One of the 8 sins: Envy.
    not 8 deadly sins....7.

don't forget Greed as well.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    There are the other type of monks which I would unofficially call 'commercial' monks/priests. They offer services to 'send off' the deceased for a 'token sum'. These commercial ones knows the rites and rituals but are not your typical ones that resides in temples. They're there only to offer services for their know-hows.
    Totally agree. When my dad passed away, we arranged for some monks to chant for the prayer services. This was done thru' the funeral parlour. The monks came in a huge MPV, wears branded watches, takes 5-10 minutes break for every 10-mins prayers said and best of all, the main "monk" kept looking at his watch which he placed on the table, the 2nd monk kept checking his pager (guessed it was b'cos there was a soccer match that nite) and the 3rd monk kept meddling with his fingernails thru'out the whole service!!

The 2nd monk kept using our phone to make calls during intervals and when the phone bill came later that month, we realised they were calls made to Malaysia!! Not that the bill adds to a large amt but, for goodness sake!!! They were paid for the service so....they should do a decent job!!!

God forbids us from being judgemental.

Quote Originally Posted by Racoon
    Totally agree. When my dad passed away, we arranged for some monks to chant for the prayer services. This was done thru' the funeral parlour. The monks came in a huge MPV, wears branded watches, takes 5-10 minutes break for every 10-mins prayers said and best of all, the main "monk" kept looking at his watch which he placed on the table, the 2nd monk kept checking his pager (guessed it was b'cos there was a soccer match that nite) and the 3rd monk kept meddling with his fingernails thru'out the whole service!!

The 2nd monk kept using our phone to make calls during intervals and when the phone bill came later that month, we realised they were calls made to Malaysia!! Not that the bill adds to a large amt but, for goodness sake!!! They were paid for the service so....they should do a decent job!!!
    wah ... that's so horrible. anyway there are alot of 'fake' monks out there. and there are those who dressed up as monks from other countries standing by the streets asking for money, what a disgrace. if i really want to give to them, i'll go buy buns and drop it inside their alms bowls, not money.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    nah....the *love* of money is the root of all evil.
    it's the love for what money can do that nourishes the seeds of evil

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    it's the love for what money can do that nourishes the seeds of evil
    agreed. The love for money is not the evil. But what evil things you can do with money, is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    No wonder Mrs. Goh said it was Peanuts! :-)

At least the monk made his salary public........being a monk these days doesn't mean they have to cut all wordly things, but they should not have attachments to it, is the most important thing I guess........what he does with the salary, I am not sure. It is for a job done, but then the question arises: can a monk work for a salary?

HS
    Well, at least I know who Ming Yi Fa Shi is... Not because of Gold Water Tap nor because of courts disclosure, but his act for charity. Walking down the Suntec is no joke.. No Camera tricks, Soak in ICE, etc.. All you see TT doing is asking the Actors to do tough stunts.. and not paid for..

As for why he need the money, perhaps its just part of the organisation structure, having CEO w/o pay, then does it mean the staff is paying for the organisation... $0, -$1, -$2...

Quote Originally Posted by k_istDS
    Well, at least I know who Ming Yi Fa Shi is... Not because of Gold Water Tap nor because of courts disclosure, but his act for charity. Walking down the Suntec is no joke.. No Camera tricks, Soak in ICE, etc.. All you see TT doing is asking the Actors to do tough stunts.. and not paid for..

As for why he need the money, perhaps its just part of the organisation structure, having CEO w/o pay, then does it mean the staff is paying for the organisation... $0, -$1, -$2...
    Steve Job's official pay as the CEO of Apple Computer is US$1.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Then all of us earn more than him!

read somewhere that the mayor of new york also US$1....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    Then all of us earn more than him!
    This discounts the stocks and shares options available to him.

Yes. Technically, all of us earn more den Steve Jobs or New York Mayor. Unfortunately, they earn more den us in reality.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    wah ... that's so horrible. anyway there are alot of 'fake' monks out there. and there are those who dressed up as monks from other countries standing by the streets asking for money, what a disgrace. if i really want to give to them, i'll go buy buns and drop it inside their alms bowls, not money.
    Make sure that there are $100 notes inside the buns without which will not be "eaten" by the monks.

If i am as wealthy as him now. I will Pay the company US$1 for being CEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Racoon

1. The chief monk checked his watch because overtime would be charged if prayer time exceeded what was in the contractual agreement.

2. The second monk checked the pager for the lastest movements in stock exchange.

3. The third monk called Malaysia to order the choicest durians to be flown to him.

All is natural and all is humanly logical and possible.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast