Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why does a monk needs 15k/month salary?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Here we go again..........
    I totally second that Danny....

just curious, as a non buddhist, do buddhist monks have to take a vow of poverty?

Quote Originally Posted by uncleparty
    just curious, as a non buddhist, do buddhist monks have to take a vow of poverty?

Hi,

Buddhist monks generally are suppose to be generous to others as one of the 10 good deeds. Monks generally take alms and not suppose to keep material as they are not suppose to be too attach to worldly stuffs.

As for Renci CEO, he will have to answer to his deeds for whatever he do. Yes, I do see monk driving mercs and I felt, they have violated the teachings.

Personally, I felt most of the charity orgs (not all) runs similar like NKF, it is which is more "sucessfully" in fund raising.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er
    With the next month pay can get Canon 1Ds Mk 11, 24-70 L, 70-200 L and 580 EX and Lowepro 500.

?

Acutally still have some loose change to hire a chio model, org a model shoot in the name of charity.
    Wei, 1Ds MK II is around 12K plus already......plus 24-70 and 70-200 and a 580EX plus Lowepro. That will total up to around 15K over.....

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    I wonder where you get this information? I couldn't find it on their website......

HS
    http://www.salegala.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

-

i saw him shopping in Taka Christian Dior Boutique,and he stays in stamford crest suite at swissotel one hor..

dun play play..nowadays it is just another job i guess..

Quote Originally Posted by freeworld
    No wonder Mrs. Goh said it was Peanuts! :-)

At least the monk made his salary public........being a monk these days doesn't mean they have to cut all wordly things, but they should not have attachments to it, is the most important thing I guess........what he does with the salary, I am not sure. It is for a job done, but then the question arises: can a monk work for a salary?

HS

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    i saw him shopping in Taka Christian Dior Boutique,and he stays in stamford crest suite at swissotel one hor..

dun play play..nowadays it is just another job i guess..
    Even Buddha don't have such indulgence..

Wei, 1Ds MK II is around 12K plus already......plus 24-70 and 70-200 and a 580EX plus Lowepro. That will total up to around 15K over.....
    Still the following month salary to pay off the instalment.

Deregistered

I'm donating peanuts...

Quote Originally Posted by amospi
    Even Buddha don't have such indulgence..
    this kinda lifestyle really make Buddha jump over the wall... i also wanna be a monk...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    this kinda lifestyle really make Buddha jump over the wall... i also wanna be a monk...
    Men depends on clothings, Buddha depends on gold plating ma... never hear before?

i dunno if the 'monks' you guys have seen on the streets are real or not. cos it's not difficult to buy some outfit and dress as one to ask for donations.

There are the other type of monks which I would unofficially call 'commercial' monks/priests. They offer services to 'send off' the deceased for a 'token sum'. These commercial ones knows the rites and rituals but are not your typical ones that resides in temples. They're there only to offer services for their know-hows.

I sell cameras and clean lenses doesn't mean I have to be a photographer right?
    I sell ferraris and sports cars doesn't mean I have to be a race driver right?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

D2X = $7600
    28-70 = $3200
    70-200 = $3300
    SB-800 = $600
    Lowepro = $200 (Just guessing)

Total = $14,900 just nice.

Can do model shoot everyday......not just every month.
    For me...

Canon 20D = abt $2,300
    16-35 f/2.8 = abt $3,500
    70-200 f/2.8 = abt $3,500
    Speedlite 580EX = $800
    Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW200 = abt $150

Total = $10,250
    Out of $15,000 = $4,750

Just nice for a nice 3wks trip to Japan again.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

why does anyone needs 15k/month salary?
    Money is evil

Quote Originally Posted by brandonb
    This kind of stuff also happen on some churches, like what happened before in singapore. Government should work up with one organization to control this situation in every charity organization. It's now became a loop holes for those business peoples making profit out of charity.
    Churches? Yes, some churches collect like 10% of the salary of the entire congregation, which amounts to some indecent some of money. They can build huge churches and pay their pastors and all fat pay. Subject to abuse, and becos the amount is so huge and it become tempting for some. Moreover, the control is not tight and they got trust in the name of God. Sooner or later, we might hear some scandal involving church funds.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    why does anyone needs 15k/month salary?
    Money is evil

Money itself is not evil. Afterall, how can peanuts be evil ?

Monks, priests, christian pastors... whatever... At the end of the day, everyone of them is a human. Strip them of their robes they are all the same. At the end of the day, CEOs, scholars, prime ministers etc etc.. All are humans. To say $ means little to humans is an understatement I think. No matter how much you can proclaim you are pious, etc etc, do things for other "higher' reasons, we are all tempted by worldly pleasures in one way or another.

Priests in corruption and child abuse, monks in adultery, pastors who lead a "glitzy" Hollywood lifestyle... ALL ARE HUMANS!

why no one start online petition again?

we can only speculate on what is right or wrong for these humans to get fat salaries and live 'lavish' lifestyles....eg pastors staying in Orchard condo; have private lifts, pastor-turn-pop singer, corrupt priests & CEOs etc....

My take is that let them do & say what they like.
    If they are caught, they deserve the publicity & punishment (if any).
    They will eventually be answerable to their God...... and the punishment will be the ultimate!

What they are going through now is peanuts

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast