Thread: Best value camera? What to consider when purchasing a camera?

Default Best value camera? What to consider when purchasing a camera?

Am looking for a slim portable camera that shoot hd photo, and not bulky dslr
    Mirrorless, compact, superzoom, what the different?
    Also the specs - what to take note?
    things like Maximum ISO, etc

with so many camera, what would you recommend? something that affordable around 500 or below

Default Re: Best value camera? What to consider when purchasing a camera?

Consider what you need (not want), consider your budget, consider reputable reviews.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by brayn View Post
    Am looking for a slim portable camera that shoot hd photo, and not bulky dslr

with so many camera, what would you recommend? something that affordable around 500 or below
    If you want something slim and portable and shoot HD photo/video (HD is only 2 megapixels anyway) under $500, I'll suggest you stick to or get a high end smartphone. IMO, few cameras below $500 are worth the money over a good smartphone.
    hi

A 8MP camera can technically give you 4K resolution.

Hi just buy any compact camera with your budget they will all be good

Do not worry so much about mirrorless because you definitely do not know anything and you will get cheated by salespeople

Just buy a normal compact camera from the stores that are listed in the consumer corner area

All cameras are good these days just pick a brand

Depends on wat you need. If you want to normal daily shots then go for a compact. A good compact would have every you need for daily shots like zooms and build in flash and etc etc. But the problem with compacts is that you can't change the lens or flash on it.

If you are looking for mirror less then I think the EOS M with the kit is a good buy. It's sensor is about the same size as a crop sensor DSLR. It is compared to the rebel i5. But you would have to spend little bit more then 500 bucks My wife uses it It's now cheap cause of its auto forus problems but after the software upgrade I find the forus speed the same as some of the compacts. But because of its bad reviews I think cannon is trying to clear it's stk. And you can use EF lens with it. (You have to buy the adaptor for it) I now share lens and flash with my wife.

Things to take note.
    There are some functions a DSLR will have that the EOS M dun. Like HDR and Mulit-Expos. But you can do this kind of shots using photo shop.
    And if you are buying the kit get the one with the 22mm F2 lens. The bokei effect is not bad if you know how to play the depth of field right. (Of course cannot compared to a 50mm F1.2 lah!!!)

Sorry forgot to add some more stuff on things to take note.
    ISO differents between the EOS M and the higher range crop sensor DSLR like the 70d is the noise performents at higher ISO. I feel that the pic will start to get noisy with the EOS M at 1600 ISO. And the 70d at 6400 ISO.
    But you can use the NR function on EOS M to help you to reduce the noise. (It only works in JPEG not in RAW)

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinYap View Post
    Sorry forgot to add some more stuff on things to take note.
    ISO differents between the EOS M and the higher range crop sensor DSLR like the 70d is the noise performents at higher ISO. I feel that the pic will start to get noisy with the EOS M at 1600 ISO. And the 70d at 6400 ISO.
    But you can use the NR function on EOS M to help you to reduce the noise. (It only works in JPEG not in RAW)

Hi i do not think he is technical

he does not know photography

there is no reason to flood him with so many technical things

I think a normal point and shoot will help him and be enough for him

Here's a quick run down on your questions

Technically only DSLR and DSLTs have mirrors so all other cameras are 'mirrorless'. But the terms usually refers to interchangeable lens cameras that lack the mirror (Eg. Sony E and FE, m43, Samsung NX, Fuji X, Nikon CX, Canon EOS-M etc.) and not the compact point and shoot (P&S) or superzoom cameras even though they also don't have a mirror in them.

Compacts are any cameras with a compact dimension. Some advance compacts these day sport a relatively large sensor eg. Sony RX100 series.

Superzooms get their name from their lens which has a large zoom range. Therefore the camera dimensions are usually not very small as a result and can be similar to a small DSLR. They're sometimes called 'bridge' cameras.

Its difficult to choose purely on specs. Many figures are inflated for marketing purpose. Even reviews are sometimes not entirely reliable but most popular review sites are pretty good.
    I personally like reading many user's account of a particular camera and the consensus is usually a pretty accurate assessment of how well the camera performs.
    Some things like how the camera handles won't be in the specs.
    Things important to me includes:
    - how well it's built
    - sensor size (not Megapixel count)
    - who makes the sensor and how old a generation it is.
    - lens quality and maximum aperture
    - lens zoom range (if its a zoom)
    - operational speed (how fast everything operates when I change something, not how many frames it will shoot per second).
    - How many control dial/buttons there are and where it's placed.
    etc.

These things important to me probably won't be very useful to you unfortunately. Its just something that comes as you become more experienced and know what you want.

Give us a priority list. Then those in the know can give you a recommendation.

Eg. In order of priority
    1. <$500
    2. great image quality straight out of camera (how good the jpeg engine is and how much you can tune it in-camera)
    4. small enough to put into jeans pocket
    5. large sensor
    6. Big zoom range
    7. flash
    8. Can take add on accessories.

You won't get everything you want so that's why you need to prioritise. But as others have pointed out, a lot of camera phones are getting very good to the point that it will equal/better low end dedicated cameras, especially when it comes to software stuff like filter effects.
    But some things camera phones usually won't have:
    1. large zoom range
    2. large sensor (except the Nokia pureview ones, there may be others I'm not sure).

So camera phones can't yet compete with eg. premium large sensor compacts or superzooms. But both of which will likely cost you more than $500 unless you don't mind an older model. Nothing wrong with older models btw.

TS joined CS and this is his first post on the same day. Since then he has yet to logged in to respond to the comments on this thread. We are all throwing suggestions against an invisible cs character

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    TS joined CS and this is his first post on the same day. Since then he has yet to logged in to respond to the comments on this thread. We are all throwing suggestions against an invisible cs character
    Oh well, with 400+ thread views at least other newbies might find the info useful haha.

TS just started another thread. I see that he has got/bought himself a camera...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429013