Thread: Why Buy Secondhand

wat's this about?

As it says why buy second hand stuff when you can buy the brand new stuff cheaper ???
    If u look around you can find lots of good stuff cheaper ,,, Lens, Filters, Cameras etc

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by concorde
    As it says why buy second hand stuff when you can buy the brand new stuff cheaper ???
    If u look around you can find lots of good stuff cheaper ,,, Lens, Filters, Cameras etc

Cheers
    Cause it's on the internet... and there are lots of scammers out there? I mean maybe in Singapore you guys don't really feel it... but "out of this world" prices seem like scams to me... ebay UK and other online shops in the US have many scammers... hence cheap doesn't necessarily mean good... but that's just being cautious...

If you think that it's really a good bargain then by all means go ahead.... I prefer to meet face to face for 2nd hand deals... able to check the item quality and also see the seller... makes me feel safer... maybe I am just one of those people who do not believe in online shopping... haha..

Btw, I saw the webpage you led us to.. so how cheap is the 28-105 compared to 2nd hand prices here? I am also looking for 1... haha...

http://www.epinions.com/search/?subm..._submit=Search

Check them out ??? not being funny ?? just trying to help ?? and whats this Singapore thing ?????

Quote Originally Posted by concorde

Cheers

Not exactly true..
    If you'd note, websites like the one you linked scour the web for the lowest prices from Merchants.. However, many of these Merchants actually list prices for 2nd hand and/ or grey market items, not new manufacturer warrantied items.
    This makes the price seem very very low but a quick visit would show that the item(s) in question are not new units.
    The lowered price on new items is not as substantial as to cover issues like shipping costs, taxes and lack of warranty.

I feel there's some truth, and I see value in this thread. I almost bought a lens here which cost more than what I was quoted from a storefront. The 2nd hand prices here can be quite atrocious. Many sellers do not quite accept the concept of depreciation. Something that has been used for a year or two can be quoted equal, or maybe ten dollars cheaper than a brand new price. I see value in this thread, at least new comers can be more aware, that even from shops in Singapore, the cost may be very marginally higher (and in some cases, cheaper) than the price that is offered here in the buy and sell market.

People who frequent buy-and-sell forum elsewhere would assume it's a good deal, especially when they just entered the world of photography. But at many resale markets, we are talking about 30-50% depreciation for 2nd hand, and 10-20% further when 2nd hand gets back into the resale market. Here, we are talking about zero depreciation to 10% depreciation? I'm a seller too, but even here at clubsnap, I try to apply depreciation fairly.

Have a look here firefox m8
    just trying to help ??? as i am new to the forum

http://www.waltersphotovideo.co.uk/u...0F2.8-4%20LENS

as i am from the uk n. ireland

cheers

Default 2nd

luck of the draw.
    sometimes you get good deal.
    sometimes no.

if you know what you are buying then 2nd hand is great.
    savings are incredible sometimes.

I have also kicked myself for missing some super deals.

the bottomline is 2nd hand saves you money.

2nd hand is also the place for stuff that is no longer in production.
    you cannot go to a store and buy it and order it.

i like to buy stuff like that.

please note that if the item is rare, wondrous and famed AND NO LONGER MADE, then the 2nd hand price for a mint condition one is many times the "new" price when it was sold 30 years ago.

examples :

Leica Thambar lens
    Leica Luftwaffe air reconnaisance camera (highest auction price)
    1950s Nikon rangefinders
    Rolleiflex Aurum or Platin
    China's HONGCHI (Leica M copies)
    China's copy of the Hasselblad (heard price is now half million dollars; China now got many billionaires who are keen to collect such.)
    and if you can get it back..... the Hasselblad left by USA astronauts after the 1st manned moon landing..that one worth a lot.