Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Macbook better than Window-based Notebook/PC?

Default Re: Is Macbook better than Window-based Notebook/PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Nowadays, Window-based notebooks/PCs won't last you more than 2-3 years; either your HDD crashed, motherboard spoil, etc. A friend of mine told me that it is better to get the Macbook because it will last longer than those brands on Window-based according to his personal experience. His Macbook Pro is still running smoothly after 3 years.
    It really depends on the luck of the draw. To make a statement one way or another would be an overgeneralization. I still run a 2007 low range Lenovo, and a 2010 MBP. Both working fine. Only thing I've upgraded on both systems are RAM. I'm still using the MBP for work, while the Lenovo has been relegated to media server duties.

Recently had some issues with my MBP display. Found out it might have been part of a batch that shipped with a faulty graphics card. Instead of issuing a notice to all owners, seems like all they did was put up a support notice quietly on their site, screwing over owners who only had the issue surface after their 3 year limit (e.g. even Applecare wouldn't have helped).

Apple will service affected 15-inch MacBook Pro computers free of charge until three years from date of purchase. This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the affected MacBook Pro.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4088
    Regardless of what machine you buy, just don't go into it with illusions/expectations of one system being 'better' than others, you'll likely end up disappointed. If there was something so objectively superior, everyone would be using it. Realistically, it boils down to preference and luck.
    Last edited by kandinsky; 18th July 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Depends on luck, electronic stuffs can last you quite some time. But I can't get used to Mac icons, I stick to window platform till now. On top of that, Mac stuff are quite ex to repair, from what I know. Furthermore, I can diy a window based PC but not a mac one.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

best to get Apple Care.

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Depends on luck, electronic stuffs can last you quite some time. But I can't get used to Mac icons, I stick to window platform till now. On top of that, Mac stuff are quite ex to repair, from what I know. Furthermore, I can diy a window based PC but not a mac one.

Quote Originally Posted by Errz View Post
    best to get Apple Care.
    If I not wrong, it wouldn't cover screen cracks, right? heh heh! Anyway, must take care of the stuffs you own, don't blame repair center can't repair when you abuse the unit.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

.....A friend of mine told me that it is better to get the Macbook because it will last longer....
    Allow me to input this to help in your decision making: My PowerBook G4 15" is 8.5 years old, still functioning well. Just changed its battery recently. The MacBook Pro 15" is 5 yrs old & still in use daily (by a family member). My MBPro 13" is 4 months old, working fine. Have not sent in under AppleCare except to change the wifi card once for MBP15. Besides this, the most important decision would be whether you yourself will like to use a Mac. Must budget to include/buy AppleCare for 3-year warranty. I have bought 10 generations of macs since the late '90s, only the wifi card failure required me to send in. My eMac & iMac are still in use currently. Both aging but chugging along fine for 5-7 years.
    :-)
    Last edited by macVince; 18th July 2014 at 02:10 PM.
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

I've been using MBP for the past 3 years and never looked back for M$ Windows.
    Really like the UI from MAC.

It is all depend on what you want to do with the Notebook.

Mac have easy to use UI but you need to learn in the beginning when you cross-over from windows to mac os.
    Lots of commands and short cut are different and you do not need the mouse as the touch pad with finger gesture is fantastic unless you're using for graphic and video editing.

MacOS do have some common softwares just like the windows platform but not as vast as windows software.
    You can install dual OS onto the Mac and use the windows base program if you wish.

Overall, Mac hardware & form factor great and reliable and I like the constant software upgrade that is always free and get my NB up to date.

This my experience. I have been using personal computer for many years. Given any one time, I find the current MBP has better spec compare to normal budget PCs, but not the higher end PCs. Therefore if you use the current budget PCs you will find MBP is better in UI and speed too. Many APPS built around Mac.

If you review two years later with the new PC spec you may find you would consider PC spec again because it has better chips, video cards, memory and disk options.

I did take a pain to switched to MBP but later find out working with network, to retrieve files are not much better than PC, plus myself is so used to PC interface, and MBP once you decided not all the models allow to upgrade memory. It will be costly to upgrade with MBP.

At the end I give my MBP to children and buy a new PC again with 16MB RAM and SSD disk, with at least 2G on the dedicated video card. It is not as light as MBP but I am happy with the speed. Cost wise is still little less than same spec MBP.

One more thing it may make you think twice also the MBP has better battery life. If you need to bring it along for traveling, same battery life PC would be much heavier than MBP for sure. Les than 1.5 kg PC has no match to MBP and it is not fair to compare to McBook Air in this case.

TS hasn't replied till now. I think he's overwhelmed with suggestions

Are you saying that if I buy a $3000 notebook from HP, Lenovo, etc, I would expect it to last very long comparing to a Macbook Pro which costs similar price?
    Uh huh.

Maybe you can take some time to read some rage threads on Macbook Pro failure. There's an example below. I don't hate Apple. I am using an iPhone and iPad Mini, but I think logically speaking I had to disagree with the notion that "Windows doesn't last as long as Apple". There is a bit of luck in such matters. For example, my iPhone 5 is displaying image retention problems. Is that supposed to happen for a premium priced product after a bit more than a year? Apparently only poor quality screens will display this problem. That's just life.. The warranty period is over, so if I happen to get another Apple phone again I will just cross my fingers and hope that I don't kena again.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...o-gpu-failures

Don't get me wrong, Apple has a lot going for it. It's easy to use, that's for sure, but I get a little puzzled when I read statements sometimes that "you must get Apple to process photographs" or "Apple just lasts longer". As others have pointed out, most Windows laptops can't hold a candle in terms of battery life. I also understand that the OS is supposed to be more stable, though that's questionable as I have never had any personal computers crash on me. You just need to take more care in running your ship.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 18th July 2014 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adfvr View Post
    Really like the UI from MAC.
    That's where people will have different preferences..

It's not that different from the same iOS vs Android argument... One is simple, easy to use, but hard as hell to change it into something that melds to the user. The other may be a little more complicated but you can customize it a little better. You have more options.

Same goes for Mac OS vs Windows as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post
    TS hasn't replied till now. I think he's overwhelmed with suggestions
    How to reply when people are saying that I am trolling. Better stop and close the thread.

I am merely quoting what my friend suggested to me and asked for users' feedback.

My experience may or not may not be the same for everyone. You may have positive experience with window-based notebooks / pcs but that doesn't mean that everybody will have the same experience.

How to reply when people are saying that I am trolling. Better stop and close the thread.

I am merely quoting what my friend suggested to me and asked for users' feedback.

My experience may or not may not be the same for everyone. You may have positive experience with window-based notebooks / pcs but that doesn't mean that everybody will have the same experience.
    And same goes for your friend's experience.. Y'know. I think that's the point that a lot of the people who are disagreeing (with said friend's advice baesd on his single experience) are trying to make. Cheers.

From the users' feedback, it seems that high-end window-based notebooks / PCs aka more than $3000 are more reliable. I guess that I will check them out given that Macbook is also around this price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12