Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying E300

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclesiasm
    why?
    cos those guys own the e-1

but essentially it's down to build quality, 100% viewfinder,2 control dials, weather-proofing and a few more buttons...

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclesiasm
    why?
    yeah y? downgrade to camera with no built in flash

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG
    Hi all

I'm seriously looking at the E300 as an alternative to my current 5050.

For the current users, does the E300 have any zoom lenses available? If I were to buy manual telephoto/zoom lenses, is there a converter/adapter ring for the E300 to fit these?

Lastly, which shop is doing the current Olympus dual lens promotion? Any shops tat I should avoid?

Thanx and regds,
    Clipper
    I upgraded from a c5060wz to e-300. I would like to share with you some of my first hand l experiences in switching to a DSLR ( I had the benefit of "no choice" as I lost my camera)

1. It was very frustrating to use a DSLR at first, imagine all your automatic reflexes have to be re-trained. For eg, zooming in/out is no longer automatic, all the familiar controls are gone.

2. Setting up the camera - one step wrong and results can be frustrating. (for eg, WB). For me, it left my first pictures with bluish hue.

3. Naturally when you have invested in something so costly, you don't want just to use automatic settings any more. But to know how to use the manual settings do require a lot of heart to learn because there is a lot of tries and more errors.

4. Then the expectation factor - how come someone can take such nice pictures with the same camera but not me? How come the more expensive camera cannot take better pictures? To tell you the truth, my first pictures turned out noticeably more "horrible" (out of focus, too dark, those long gone problems came back to haunt you) than my previous ones.

5. Then there are sometimes differences between the P&S and DSLR. I was able to take rather good macros on my c5060wz but was unable to do so with my kit lens. In the end, forum mates led me to buy the 50mm f.20 (another major investment) but a great piece of lens that I felt is not deserving of me yet.

6.There are times when you feel that you don't want to touch the camera again. But I realise that learning is like a mountain of plateaus - you stagnate and move up again without one realising.

Here are some of my photos from my 6 month adventure. They look fine but does not quite capture the amount of time and sweat I put in especially the many kind advices I hv received from forum mates.

http://getsurin.multiply.com/photos

But if you should ever decide on Olympus, you can be sure that there will be a lot of friendly support in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by serene

1. It was very frustrating to use a DSLR at first, imagine all your automatic reflexes have to be re-trained. For eg, zooming in/out is no longer automatic, all the familiar controls are gone.

But if you should ever decide on Olympus, you can be sure that there will be a lot of friendly support in this forum.
    Hi Serene,

Just hang in there and practice. You will eventually get there! Just read up, dont be afraid to ask questions and attend workshops, courses and ofcourse practice!

I also had the same problems but I took a more drastic way to learn.To cut the story short, my girlfriend loaned me her FM2 and I basically practised on a fully manual camera on film and scanned my slides on a Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 scanner. I paid lots of "school fees" both literally in dollars and time. But it was all worth it. I am still learning everyday.

Sometimes in life, like someone once said, The journey is the reward.

[QUOTE=hammer_400]cos those guys own the e-1

but essentially it's down to build quality, 100% viewfinder,2 control dials, weather-proofing and a few more buttons...[/QUOTE

The e-1 has a 100% viewfinder versus the e-300 with a 94%. How much difference does the 6% make? Especially for those folks who have the luxury of extensively trying out both cameras?

From what I read, it affects the composition of your shots. With a less then 100% you get "surprises!" when you view the actual image. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by XanderMan
    The e-1 has a 100% viewfinder versus the e-300 with a 94%. How much difference does the 6% make? Especially for those folks who have the luxury of extensively trying out both cameras?

From what I read, it affects the composition of your shots. With a less then 100% you get "surprises!" when you view the actual image. Am I right?
    I don't see the 94% viewfinder area of the E300 as a serious disadvantage at all.

Firstly, 6% difference in area works out to only 1.3% shorter in width and 1.25% shorter in length of the actual viewfinder dimensions relatively speaking. This would be hardly noticeable to most people. Even those who did initially notice the difference because they have handled a professional set like the E1 with 100% viewfinder before, will get used to it in no time.

Secondly, whatever you do see in a <100% viewfnder, you would capture on the CCD anyway. So you are not losing anything. What you do get in the final image is a thin border of extra scenery around what you saw in the viewfinder. This is the "surprises" you are referring to. Personally, I see this extra border as a safety margin in case I had zoomed in too tightly on my subject in trying to fill the frame with the subject as much as possible (which I have a habit of doing in practice, actually).

In any case, if the extra border of scenery is not wanted, it can always be cropped off in post-editing and the extra 3 Mb of resolution of the E300 as compared to the E1 certainly more than make up for the mere 6% of area lost in the cropping process.

Default 94% viewfinder

I wonder if this is really a disadvantage at all. As pointed out, yes, it's actually a safety margin. If you tell me it's a 106% viewfinder (ie, what you see is MORE than what you capture) then it's a problem since subjects might be abruptly cut out of the picture.

Now, when you send your photos for developing (if you do) or send it through one of those home photo printers, you will realise that the printers crop out some parts too. Then the end result is such that you will have a developed photo which is close to what the 94% gave you in the first place. :P

Quote Originally Posted by peekarwe
    I wonder if this is really a disadvantage at all. As pointed out, yes, it's actually a safety margin. If you tell me it's a 106% viewfinder (ie, what you see is MORE than what you capture) then it's a problem since subjects might be abruptly cut out of the picture.

Now, when you send your photos for developing (if you do) or send it through one of those home photo printers, you will realise that the printers crop out some parts too. Then the end result is such that you will have a developed photo which is close to what the 94% gave you in the first place. :P
    Actually when sending the photos for printing in a lab, the best is to resize/crop the photo to the required dimensions for print. eg 4R(1800x1200 @ 300dpi) Else u will be suprised when part of the photo goes missing

Quote Originally Posted by peekarwe
    I just bought a E300 yesterday...
    $1699 (full retail price, I know but...)
    - body + 14-45 lens (kit)
    - 02 x 1GB CF
    - 02 x Olympus Original Batteries.
    - tripod (decent ones)
    - 2 camera bags, one original olympus (why I dunno)
    - Photoshop Elements 2.0
    I think I should update you guys about a pleasant surprise I was in for yesterday at Oly. I went there to redeem my HLD-3 battery grip ($99) and the girl over the counter handed me a 1 GB CF card, saying that it is redeemable with purchase of my camera. So, for the price I paid, I got a total of 3 1GB CF card. Gosh...

Most shops do have 4:3 type of paper, 4R-plus. It's 4.5" x 6". With this, there's no cropping. Or, we may opt for 4R but fit-in, with border, to preserve the entire image w/o cropping.

Quote Originally Posted by ykkok
    Most shops do have 4:3 type of paper, 4R-plus. It's 4.5" x 6". With this, there's no cropping. Or, we may opt for 4R but fit-in, with border, to preserve the entire image w/o cropping.
    I see.. Thanks for sharing. I have heard of 4R plus but cost is an issue. 4R now is about 20c each pc so it's cheaper. Is 4R+ much higher?

actually there are price drops in olympus stuff in US. The E300 two lens kit cost US$760 in adorama.

you might want to check it out. wonder if the lens will drop price. 50-200mm was US$720 after rebate in June. Wonder if they might slash the price to $720 without rebate Then it seems more "affordable" to me

how do we claim rebate if we purchase from US?

Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2
    how do we claim rebate if we purchase from US?
    U need to stay in US or send in the rebate form that return address that is US address will do.

FYI the rebate system is over in US.

yup. M bro is staying in US now so shuld be no problem for me.

but I think there will be better promo coming up I will wait for my US$720 50-200

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I will wait for my US$720 50-200

MO MO MO!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12