Thread: Lightmeter for Studio

Default Lightmeter for Studio

Hi all... i am going to setup a home studio. I am currently straggling on lightmeter, dont know which one to choose. I have less experience and knowledge on lightmeter. PLease recommand me one. my badget is around S$300.. I dont which to get a wrong one or upgrade it next time .... thanks

Lightbulb

most brands of lightmeter performs about the same functions. features may differ. prices too.

oic... but when i browse the bhphoto... the price range of light meter is actually from USD80 to ~USD500... The functionality of the lightmeter increase when the price increase.... most lightmeter can triggle the flash to fire one right?

Quote Originally Posted by sam_always
    oic... but when i browse the bhphoto... the price range of light meter is actually from USD80 to ~USD500... The functionality of the lightmeter increase when the price increase.... most lightmeter can triggle the flash to fire one right?
    Unless you attached a sync-cord to it. Or fire manually with your lighting system or better still, they have wireless slave. Cheers dude.

Check out Sekonic L308S flash mate or the cheaper older version L308B should fit your need nicely but a bit over your budget

Try the Gossen Digiflash. It does incident, reflected and flash readings. Fits in your pocket and it's one of the cheapest, less than USD200.
    Cheers, Gus

do you want a sole incident light meter or do you want a spot light meter? or combined?

for sole incident light meter, i used Minolta IV and V before. both are equally good and sufficient to handle most metering.

for combined light meter, try the sekonic 558 ( i think the model number is this)

as for spot, i've forgotten wat brand i used previously.

sekonic 558 is too expensive already. 2 times my budget. how about Sekonic 358? anyone having it? is it a combine light meter? or just sole incident? thanks

Suggest a Polaris, probably under SGD 300. Ruby Photo should have them. Can do cordless synch. I bought mind from fotoguide (not around anymore) for about $250.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_always
    Hi all... i am going to setup a home studio. I am currently straggling on lightmeter, dont know which one to choose. I have less experience and knowledge on lightmeter. PLease recommand me one. my badget is around S$300.. I dont which to get a wrong one or upgrade it next time .... thanks
    Sekonic 308B either the new one or the old one....very good!
    ubans.com

Quote Originally Posted by xl1
    Sekonic 308B either the new one or the old one....very good!
    Hi X1.. could you please elaborate?
    I intend to get one also...

The Sekonic 308B is small, light & fits into pocket.

Can take incident, reflective & flash reading. Can take cord & cordless flash reading. However, you need to attach a sync cord to trigger the flash. Unless you use radio or IR to trigger flash.

Light meters with Spot metering, generally much more expensive.