Thread: The Most Underutilized Photo Accessory

Default The Most Underutilized Photo Accessory

Got this off a phototips website

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototip-archives.html

"I own a lot of camera equipment and accessories. I suppose it's a disease of sorts. The problem is, it all has a purpose. Many photographers seem to suffer from it, as I run into other people all the time with camera bags full of lenses, filters, and other interesting doodads and gizmos. In my experience though, the most underutilized photo accessory of all is the feet. Yes, that's right, the feet.

Don't be afraid to move around and work a subject to find an angle that works. Look at how things line up. Taking a step one way or another can sometimes make a huge difference. Try getting up close, or backing farther away. Don't just rely on zoom lenses to do the walking around for you. As you change focal lengths, you also change how your lens views what's in front of it."

Agree?
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Yes thats right, u need to walk, bend, kneel, tilt, tiptoe, run, to get the shot.
    U see many famous photographers whose body are fighting fit...

haha, thats interesting !!

don't underestimate the value of being in good health, or how else to drag all those 100-200kg worth of lights,batt packs etc. in the field.. even if you have an assistant.

thumbs up for reminding us of this often forgotten 'tips' .....

the most underutilized accessory for me is the angle finder c haven't used it yet. I've used my feet often, especially when shooting with primes

Blog Entries

the most underutilized accessory is the body cap, once off it never goes back on again.

dunno.. sounds like an arty farty statement.
    i seldom shoot sitting down.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    Don't just rely on zoom lenses to do the walking around for you. As you change focal lengths, you also change how your lens views what's in front of it."

Agree?
    No, I disagree - "how the lens views what's in front of it" does not change with the focal length (maybe apart from distortion). Zooming in without changing the point of view just crops the image. It does not and can not emulate changing the point of view (i.e. moving around).

I am amused though by some photo outings where half a dozen people in formation take the same picture instead of finding their own... "Cameraaaaa... ready! Aiiiiimmmmm....! Fire!". In light of this, I'd suggest that the most underused accessory is not the feet, but the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    No, I disagree - "how the lens views what's in front of it" does not change with the focal length (maybe apart from distortion). Zooming in without changing the point of view just crops the image. It does not and can not emulate changing the point of view (i.e. moving around).

I am amused though by some photo outings where half a dozen people in formation take the same picture instead of finding their own... "Cameraaaaa... ready! Aiiiiimmmmm....! Fire!". In light of this, I'd suggest that the most underused accessory is not the feet, but the brain.
    i almost wanted to say that

Default brain 3

coincidence
    wanted to say that too but wondered if too offensive
    not just in choice of angles

sometimes even buying equipment is on herd instinct
    or fashion to give up film and buy digital
    or brand X better than brand Y...oh boy... here we go again.....

Lightbulb

i doubt very much that anyone of us would classify our brain as a photo accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf

Default 2nd most....

2nd most under utilised......
    Unjamming device for Hasselblad

You DON'T want to utilise this even though you may have it.
    It is for a most unpleasant emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    i doubt very much that anyone of us would classify our brain as a photo accessory.
    I agree, it is an understatement.

<slightly off-topic>

Seriously though, I'm a bit fed up with "must-dos", "must-haves", and "rules". Some "simple thruths" sound snappy, deep, or intellectual and are readily regurgitated to demonstrate one's knowledge/expertise, but in the end they lead to focusing and sometimes being obsessed with peripheral, frequently unimportant, details.

I often think people should have more self confidence and dare to think through things on their own, arriving at their own conclusions, instead of following the perceived wisdoms of some "guru". The education level of people here is generally high, but somehow it seems many people are afraid to apply their knowledge - how else to explain some of the questions asked here? A whole lot of "facts" reported online or in books, even by "celebrities", is opinion, marketing fluff, taken out of context, or sometimes outright wrong - but they're treated as gospel, even if simple math or a test with one's own camera would readily disprove them or show up their limited context.

Therefore, use your brain! (And dare to disagree with others, me included.)

</slightly off-topic>

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    the most underutilized accessory is the body cap, once off it never goes back on again.
    i second that.. only time it went back to the body was for servicing or repair!

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    brain is not an accessory when one uses it to think. brain becomes an accessory when one don't use it to think.

Filmpicker
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."