Thread: Interesting article discussing about MF and DoF

Default Interesting article discussing about MF and DoF

I came across an article below:

Somehow this statement interests me.

(In Landscapes) "If you autofocus on the horizon, you’ll waste much of your depth of field."

I do shoot shoot those (sunrise/sunset in the beach) with AF and I tried MF too. Somehow I myself can't tell/ see the difference.

Anyone can enlighten me? As in what does it mean to be wasted?

Pasir Ris

Default Re: Interesting article discussing about MF and DoF

Read up about Hyperfocal Distance as special application of DoF.
    Secondly, the article seems to be limited to on AF or MF only. MF with an autofocus lens can be quite tricky because of the very short throw from minimum focus to Infinity. It is tricky to hit the exact spot, a tiny move on the focus ring shifts the focus quite a bit. Luckily, there is a third option that the article missed out completely: use a single focus point.
    If you know where your Hyperfocal distance is (most DoF calculators give you this value), you can either set it according the scale on the lens (if the lens has a distance scale) or you try to find a foreground object (a good composition has one) that is roughly at the distance of your Hyperfocal Distance and lock a single AF point on it. Most modern cameras come with a lot of AF points, there should be one that is usable.
    Last edited by Octarine; 8th July 2014 at 02:53 PM.