Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is my dry cabinet keeps on operating.

Default Re: Why is my dry cabinet keeps on operating.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Not sure about Akuri, but for digi-cabi, I think the screws for the doors are outside, just a screwdriver can remove the door liao
    Hmm... go home check again... but anyway.. I already lost the keys so... no point already. hahahahaha... forgetful, right?
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Hmm... go home check again... but anyway.. I already lost the keys so... no point already. hahahahaha... forgetful, right?
    lock the door, than stick the key on the glass door using blue tack, so you won't forget where to keep the key.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    There are no screws around the lock for the Digi-cabi. The principle is just like the door hinge. If can be screwed from outside, it is inviting intruders to screw open. The lock is lock tighten from inside, just like our drawer lock. If you can manage to force untighten from outside by wriggling, maybe can turn around the lock.

I'm not sure what is the chance of opening it using another Digi-cabi key. No need to use blue tack, can also use a string to tie to the handle.
    Last edited by blueblood; 7th July 2014 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    There are no screws around the lock for the Digi-cabi. The principle is just like the door hinge. If can be screwed from outside, it is inviting intruders to screw open. The lock is lock tighten from inside, just like our drawer lock. If you can manage to force untighten from outside by wriggling, maybe can turn around the lock.

I'm not sure what is the chance of opening it using another Digi-cabi key. No need to use blue tack, can also use a string to tie to the handle.
    Getting abit OT... but anyway I've just checked... There's a screw right under the door. Once that's unscrewed, the door can be removed. Anyway, this is not a safe, it is only meant to deter.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

if it belong to the same batch, yes you can use the same keys. i hv 2 digi cabi with the same keys.

if you lose it, u can call the distributor for a spare key to mail to you. foc

oh please lor

Is just a dry cab, not a safe. Why would a intruder be bothered with the door,.

The dry cab is glass door right? Will u just break the damm glass or bother with opening the door?

What lock should we be bother about!? The lock is only good for kids

You are simply worried about the wrong things ...Try:
    a) understand how dry cabinets work (check this link: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481380, read the manual)
    b) set the correct RH
    c) make sure the RH is really at target level: get a second hygrometer, either calibrated or DIY with salt test
    d) make sure no gear is left in your camera bag
    If you are worried about burglars then do something about the door lock at your main door. If you don't trust others on your place: move out or move them out
    EOS

Er... actually I had working understanding of how a hinge work and how a lock work, thank you very much for the detail explanation though.

However, like what others had pointed out... I mean, the dry cabinet is not that secured and so if "intruders" as to want to open my dry cabinet and take the stuff in it, with or without the key, it will be a piece of cake... a mere few seconds work and the door is open, so might as well save them the trouble.

The thing here is... I lost my key and I know I will in time, so I don't bother locking the cabinet at all in the first place. Uncle Catchlight had great advice, tape the key to the cabinet. But frankly I wouldn't care that much.
    Last edited by rhino123; 8th July 2014 at 02:09 PM.
    My lousy shots

I just place keys inside the cabinet since day one, so I don't have to worry about losing it.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I just place keys inside the cabinet since day one, so I don't have to worry about losing it.
    Oh, you too?
    EOS

Blog Entries

I have to lock mine so my inquisitive son will not be able to open the doors and play with my equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Oh, you too?
    Keys inside the cabinet too here lol.

Does placing silicon gels in dry cabinets help in case ppl accidentally switch off th main power without uu knowin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xjosephtbr View Post
    Does placing silicon gels in dry cabinets help in case ppl accidentally switch off th main power without uu knowin
    A better way is to keep an eye on your hygrometer reading... and get another hygrometer in case the default one malfunction.

Like what daredevil had mentioned, it is better to keep an eye on the hydrometer. Normally I don't advise anyone placing silicon gels in dry cabinets, because it will make controlling of the humidity quite challenging.

Note that, if an environment is too dry, it is not good for your equipment too... especially the rubber parts of your equipment.
    My lousy shots

Apart from what's mentioned, You may want to also take into consideration that silicon gels does infact get "used" and have to be replaced on a quite regular basis which defeats the purpose of having a dry cabinet in the first place.

Also, leaving your gears in the cabinet for 2-3 days after the power gets cut off won't result in fungus growing on it, unless you have a swamp in the cabinet.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

You just need to tape up the power point, or label it "Do Not Switch" will do, won't cause much money and so easy to do.
    Anyway, even it is not working for a few days is also not a big issue. Don't over react on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12