Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what had happened to us....

maybe in future when anyone wish to organise an outdoor shoot may want to highlight the purpose of the gathering is meant for pple who really wish to learn the art of photography only.

as for those who only wish to show off their lastest gadget may form their own group outing, otherwise its they themselves will feel outcast if they decided to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by Octane69
    Once not too long ago.. I went for one of the organized shoots here by one of the organizers here in CS... I was shooting film that day... Well... can u believe this guy actually looked at me with a ludicrous look n exclaim.. 'you still using film'??? No money for digital arh....
    Couldnt be bothered to explain. I just gave him a smile and needless to say that was the last time I ever went for any of his shoots.
    Can't be me hor , I only organise once nia.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Unfortunately, this kind of 'in' thing is slowly but surely attracting a wrong group of ppl.
    I wouldn't put it this way. There may be many people I don't agree with, but as long as they let me do my style of photography, I am happy to let them compare their status symbols. The hobby is big enough for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning
    I also want to share some feeling that I have when I meet some "Pro" photographer during events. They seems very snobish, and won't even want to interact with other "Non-pro" camera man. They won't care if they just walk infront of your camera and stand there to shoot. Others have to make way for him.

I ever saw someone with a 1Ds Mark II during a break, I asked him how he feels about the camera, and all he said was "Much better then your 300D!", then stood up and walk away!

Humm..... Is "pro" photographer god? Or too scared we learn too much from him and he loose his job next time?

NO cos some people just hate talking about cameras when he has a job to do...

i certain get very turn off when someone asks me about what cameras i use... when i'm working, it breaks my flow. sign, can people just leave photogs alone to do their job, its tiring, having to look out for the next image... and people have to talk about cameras, how come no one ask, have any good shots yet?

but the photog was rather rude, i just smile and say its just a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Unfortunately, this kind of 'in' thing is slowly but surely attracting a wrong group of ppl.

Ppl who goes by things like:

"I shoot only film. Film is professional. Digital is not professional."
    "Why u still using this lens? Very slow. Why dun buy 2.8 lens?"
    "350D better den your 1D ah. Cos I got 8 MEGAPIXEL AH!"

And last but not least...
    "YOUR CAMERA HOW MANY MEGAPIXEL HAR? HAHAHA... YOUR CAMERA LOUSY CANNOT TAKE MOVIES. MY ONE CAN."

When photography becomes equipment wanking....
    i ask him to put down his pants and compare loh.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    NO cos some people just hate talking about cameras when he has a job to do...

i certain get very turn off when someone asks me about what cameras i use... when i'm working, it breaks my flow. sign, can people just leave photogs alone to do their job, its tiring, having to look out for the next image... and people have to talk about cameras, how come no one ask, have any good shots yet?

but the photog was rather rude, i just smile and say its just a camera.

Personally, I think the photographer sets the mood of the day as well, if he is funny and fun to be with, I think the picture will really turn out well. If he puts on a really black face, or stern face, don't think anyone will enjoy.
    There are some photographer that I come across that are really nice and cheerful, but some really spoil the mood. For the that particular incidents, end up the couple and the relatives ask me to coordinate most of the shoot(tea ceremony, dinner table, bridal room etc), cos I was able to make people smile and feel comfortable. *sigh* Do pro photographer(paid) feels treaten when there are other photographer there doing the same think for free?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    i ask him to put down his pants and compare loh.
    What if you ... erm... lose?

I will assume he does that pretty often, and is confident in winning.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning
    Personally, I think the photographer sets the mood of the day as well, if he is funny and fun to be with, I think the picture will really turn out well. If he puts on a really black face, or stern face, don't think anyone will enjoy.
    There are some photographer that I come across that are really nice and cheerful, but some really spoil the mood. For the that particular incidents, end up the couple and the relatives ask me to coordinate most of the shoot(tea ceremony, dinner table, bridal room etc), cos I was able to make people smile and feel comfortable. *sigh* Do pro photographer(paid) feels treaten when there are other photographer there doing the same think for free?
    No. I don't.

Btw, how come got so many complaints lately about professional photographers har?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Btw, how come got so many complaints lately about professional photographers har?
    I also don't know but just for fun, I guess it is because.....

1) some people bought "pro" camera and cannot tahan full time photographers using D70 to make money.

2) some "part time pro photogragher" with pro cam, charge high price for jobs cannot tahan full time photographer with prosumer/comsumer ( ie: D70 ) who charge lower than them.

3) some photographer who's willing to shoot for free/peanuts because of passion cannot understand why full time photographer must shot for money.

4) some "part time pro photographer" look very pro with their pro cam. so people though they are pro and when they cannot deliver, people complian about pro lor.

5) When a non pro makes a mistake, he's not a pro mah, so cannot expect too much from him ( shooting for friend, free, etc... so cannot complian ) when a pro makes a mistake the whole world knows about it.

BTW, I'm not a Professional Photographer. Though I work full time as a photographer, I shoot with a D70 ( no SB800 some more ) so I'm only a Full Time Photographer .
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Hmm interesting thread
    thought all along owning a dslr like d70 and 300d already consider pro liao
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Blog Entries

D70/D50 and 300D/350D are consumer cameras, but so what?
    Just as long as the image is good.

Like a plate of Char Kway Teow, if it taste good, who cares what kind of wok was used.

The only thing I miss with the D70 is the slower AF, smaller viewfinder and ruggeredness (build quality). Recently I brought out my trusty Film camera for a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    D70/D50 and 300D/350D are consumer cameras, but so what?
    Just as long as the image is good

Like a plate of Char Kway Teow, if it taste good, who cares what kind of wok was used.

The only thing I miss with the D70 is the slower AF, smaller viewfinder and ruggeredness (build quality). Recently I brought out my trusty Film camera for a spin.
    Everyone also know how to say this , but in the end everyone drooling about to own a D2X/D2Hs, 1DMKII, Leica etc..

Hahhaa.... just for fun!

a) Pros:
    Professional photographers who use the best gears becoz they need ALL the features. Equally adapt to use a Leica, Mamiya, etc. A commercial shoot easily pays off itself.

b) Bread n Butter :
    Photographers who are in it for a living. Can be using a D70 or any DSLR for that matter. The bottom line matters. Several shoots to recover initial investments. Will not buy a Leaf digital backs coz it does not make economic sense to them. Likely to have used film before and probably have a wealth of experience albit.... classical experience. Likely to bitch about c) who are all digital and eating into their income.

c) Freelancers:
    Hobbyist who decides to make some money on the side. Varied enthusiastic buggers who can buy the latest and the greatest or a D70. Objective is not really to recover the investement in gear but a little money helps. Likely to do weddings and price lowly. Skills may exceed that of b) or even reach a) depending on how good a hobbyist is. Likely to bitch about about b) who blocks their path and using cheap cameras.

d) Flavour of the month:
    DSLR is cheap, I have some money and so now that I have one... what do I do? Join model shoots, do a couple of weddings and bitch. Likely to get f2.8 lens or the latest gears to keep up with the rest. After a while, B&S and goes on to the next newest DSLR flavour of the month.

I'm drooling to own a 39MP Phase One.

Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    I'm drooling to own a 39MP Phase One.
    That would be a nice piece of gear...
    Hahaha... so you are either a) or c)

My S$0.02 billion worth of comments...

There has been occasions in CS, when I saw some very good photos posted by fellow CSers, and when I asked about the technique and settings for those photos, they are not willing to share them at all.
    The common discussion here seems to be on the equipment and their usages...not on the techniques. that's why I like to view photos in www.photo.net where the discussions are more on techniques, composition etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fooj
    we all started photography due to the passion to produce great pictures, aren't we. I still remember when my friends & i joined a group of photographers for outdoor shoot which we have never met before. we were using low end manual SLR/ 3rd party lens and we did not dare to take our cameras out from our bag at 1st, we afraid they might look down on our equipment as they were all carrying the top end gadgets.
    but we were wrong,the guys were very friendly, they never asked what cameras we using or what lens we brought. in fact our gathering was all abt shooting & pinpointing each other mistakes, they also shared wif us their personal experience in photography.

sadly nowadays, whenever there is a photography outing. i always hear pple asking wat camera u use & why don't u get a f2.8 lens etc. i felt that the purpose of the outing to share photography knowledge is no longer there. its all abt pple bringing their latest toys they have just bought to show off . the discussion is also circulating whats the lastest camera/ lens out in the market, comparison of camera A to camera B, which lens AF faster and so on. maybe we need to change our mindset now, coz in future newbie dare not join in the gathering anymore as they have nothing to boost around and no one to learn from anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Hahhaa.... just for fun!

b) Bread n Butter :
    Photographers who are in it for a living. Can be using a D70 or any DSLR for that matter. The bottom line matters. Several shoots to recover initial investments. Will not buy a Leaf digital backs coz it does not make economic sense to them. Likely to have used film before and probably have a wealth of experience albit.... classical experience. Likely to bitch about c) who are all digital and eating into their income.

c) Freelancers:
    Hobbyist who decides to make some money on the side. Varied enthusiastic buggers who can buy the latest and the greatest or a D70. Objective is not really to recover the investement in gear but a little money helps. Likely to do weddings and price lowly. Skills may exceed that of b) or even reach a) depending on how good a hobbyist is. Likely to bitch about about b) who blocks their path and using cheap cameras.
    Wah lau.... now I'm not even a full time photographer. I'm under b) but since I don't bitch about c) ( no point bitching ) I'm a Bread but no Butter photographer
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Was at musical fountain at Sentosa not too long ago with my family and friends. These 2 photographers just came and plodded themselves in front of me, whipped out their DSLRs. I politely said, "excuse me, but you seem to be blocking my view". One of them turned around and said something like "you not happy you move... I taking photo of the musical fountain". Immediately, I retorted, "YOU ARE BLOCKING MY DAUGHTER FROM VIEWING THE SHOW. WHY DON'T YOU GUYS BE NICE, DON'T PISS ME OFF, AND TRY NOT TO BE AN ASS**** AND MOVE?" rather forcefully. That got their attention.

My advantage? I used to do some weights when I was younger. I still look beefy!!

To the 2 pple who may be reading this, I am generally quite a nice guy. Generally.

My 2 cents worth :

I've joined the photography community not too long ago... have yet to go on a outing organised here... However I guess being a newbie, we'll tend to ask around what equipments you are using cos we ourselves are trying to determine which equipment to get... and get a feel of the pro and con of each equipment.

However, it also depend on how nice are the "pros" whether they are willing to share their tips or tricks with us...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast