Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Working overseas to escape Stifling Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    Late last year, Singapore was ranked the world's best city (not country) to visit for being safe and clean. In case you want to know, the world's best country to visit was Australia for her beautiful scenery.

Singapore tends to appear clean, at least in many public places, but our public toilets and garbage collection centres in estates and wet markets, are downright disgusting. I have overheard tourists complaining about the state of our public toilets. We even have campaigns to keep our toilets clean. I don't see that many "Please flush" signs in the toilets of Australia but they don't smell like a massive pee-hole. It is also a fact that S'pore hires a very impressive army of sweepers cleaners. Without them, is S'pore really that clean?

Well-educated is also true but to a certain extent. I know young teens in Australia who study business, psychology, photography and popular languages (French, German, Italian, Japanese) as a second language in their secondary schools. Their education appears more broad-based. Interestingly, I see/hear of more younger entrepreneurial and inventive persons in Australia than in S'pore. Like most of Asia, S'poreans learn by rote-learning which really isn't the right way to learn. I suspect this is the reason why westerners invent much more, and Asians imitate and pirate.

I can only believe that Singapore is safe due to 2 reasons: geographically small and strict laws. Being small means criminals have difficulty hiding. Strict laws means people think thrice about committing crime. Bear in mind, S'pore was recently in the limelight for having 1 of the highest death penalty rates in the world (even higher than China). Australia does not believe in the death penalty.

I don't know why you consider Singapore as dynamic. Much of the international world labels S'pore as, in exact words, the nanny state. You know what nannys do? They hold the cane, and say "you can't do this, you can't do that, and no arguing". I suspect this label appearing in any foreign news is censored by the government. The government has been ruling S'pore with a very cautious and conservative mind, perhaps too cautious and conservative.

In comparison, I have been reading news about the happenings in China, and as the motherland of all Chinese, they are really quite open in mind, even more than S'pore. Nude models are used to promote businesses, products and services in public. Guess where you secret stash of sex toys were made in? Not US or UK! It's made in China! Not many years ago, nudity for art/photography in China was a no-no but not these days. In fact, it appears that S'pore rang more alarm bells worldwide for the recent news of a S'porean blogger showing her nude photos. China is like a western society now.

Every now and then when our PM or SM talks about the economy, say during National Day rally speech, they may mention or hint that China is booming. India too. I believe not many realise the real extent of the issue. Being cheaper, these countries are taking away a lot from S'pore, and is the reason why S'poreans are working longer and harder for less wages to compete with them. Unfortunately, it seems that we are fighting a losing battle.

On 26 June 2005, The Sunday Age (Australian newspaper) published a full page report about the booming economy of China, and how much it is worth in figures. China sucks up raw materials like a dry sponge and produces so much export products at cheaper prices that even a large nation like Australia (the world's 6th biggest) and Aussie manufacturers are threatened.
    About the public toilet thing, most already take things for granted. But also look at most people in Singapore (not just Singaporean alone), simply bo-chap right?

Regarding the well-educated & younger entrepreneurial and inventive persons in Australia than here is simply because they have rights protected. Not here, who cares about you at all. Even the government can't do anything about it! Really pissed-off right?

Hmmm.... About the death penalty thing, whoever steps into this country or born here & kill someone, you're dead meat. Everyone is expendable here. Unless you got mental problem. Hee...hee...

Regarding the government controlling our rights is that without this rules, Singapore will be doom man! Imagine a place without any natural resources. So, slave driver is the only way to go dude.

China have a long history since Munchuria till now. They are in fact, influence by them when they were ruled by this countries. Do correct me if I am wrong. Thanks a lot.

We can never compete with the China or India labour market. You are down right right! Prepare to face your death dude.

Almost the whole global manufacturing chain come from China or India. But I think China plays the major role here. Even the US of A (our world police) don't even dare to play punk with them.
    Last edited by Spectrum; 24th July 2005 at 01:29 AM.

[quote=Spectrum] Imagine a place without any natural resources. So, slave driver is the only way to go dude.

Who said no natural resources, i am part of the natural resources and those live here.. THINK ABOUT IT...

[QUOTE=amospi]
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    Imagine a place without any natural resources. So, slave driver is the only way to go dude.

Who said no natural resources, i am part of the natural resources and those live here.. THINK ABOUT IT...
    Yah hor! Work your entire life till it burns out. Buah.....ha.....ha....ha....! & so on...

Well.. working/living in Singapore is not that bad as say.. tokyo or HK where I tried, you get good pay there but the work load and housing cost evens out everything. Singapore, on the other side still let you keeps quite a bit after housing cost... and the working hrs, is actually not that bad unless u go compare to places like indonesia where by 4.45pm people start packing to leave

one thing for sure, singapore aint that exciting.... but what the govt doing now might turn that around, at least i hope so... else i might want to go back HK and work hahaah...

[quote=Spectrum]
    Quote Originally Posted by amospi

Yah hor! Work your entire life till it burns out. Buah.....ha.....ha....ha....! & so on...
    and it get continue by YOUR next SEED..

[quote=TsQ]Singapore, on the other side still let you keeps quite a bit after housing cost... and the working hrs, is actually not that bad

Your salary must be quite high ah..
    working hrs not that bad for 1 job but most have 2 job that come to quite a short rest time.

one thing for sure, singapore aint that exciting.... but what the govt doing now might turn that around, at least i hope so...

I also hope this to happen without costing us an arm or legs..(sorry arm and legs already taken...lao left the head and body only..)

Quote Originally Posted by TsQ
    Well.. working/living in Singapore is not that bad as say.. tokyo or HK where I tried, you get good pay there but the work load and housing cost evens out everything. Singapore, on the other side still let you keeps quite a bit after housing cost... and the working hrs, is actually not that bad unless u go compare to places like indonesia where by 4.45pm people start packing to leave

one thing for sure, singapore aint that exciting.... but what the govt doing now might turn that around, at least i hope so... else i might want to go back HK and work hahaah...
    Well, if you are a Hong Konger, you most probably realised that the majority of people are like you. Chinese with yellow skin, right? So, there's where the competition is.
    But Singapore is different. Do you know how many percent are yellow skin (or Chinese)? You do the math dude.
    What are the benefits to these people get that Singapore government usually take care of. Go ask all your local Chinese friends (if any).
    And read a news some days back saying that Japanese would rather hire back their people than foreigner to do the job. Ain't that competition too?

What are the benefits to these people get that Singapore government usually take care of. Go ask all your local Chinese friends (if any).
    The chinese sure get more benefits..LIKE PAY MORE SCHOOL FEES BENEFITS, PAY MORE HOSPTIAL FEES BENEFITS ETC... WORK MORE HARD BENEFITS BETTER WORK 23HRS A DAY UNTIL YOU DIE BENEFITS.. I just love this country...

Quote Originally Posted by amospi
    The chinese sure get more benefits..LIKE PAY MORE SCHOOL FEES BENEFITS, PAY MORE HOSPTIAL FEES BENEFITS ETC... WORK MORE HARD BENEFITS BETTER WORK 23HRS A DAY UNTIL YOU DIE BENEFITS.. I just love this country...
    Me too! I'll love it so......much till the day I die. If the same management is still around.

Me too! I'll love it so......much till the day I die. If the same management is still around.
    MANAGEMENT.. GOOD SAID.. OOP CAps again..

Hey guys,

Maybe if you have been living in Singapore for a long time, you couldn't not see what Lion City is so good about. Singapore is one long beautiful summer and you may take the summer for granted and think the winter in UK is wonderful.

If you go and ask the foreigners working in the country and perhaps they would tell you and show you the reasons to be happy here?

Lightbulb

three to four raining or overcast days (without direct sunlight) here is enough to affect my mood adversely. winter in uk is no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Hey guys,

Maybe if you have been living in Singapore for a long time, you couldn't not see what Lion City is so good about. Singapore is one long beautiful summer and you may take the summer for granted and think the winter in UK is wonderful.

If you go and ask the foreigners working in the country and perhaps they would tell you and show you the reasons to be happy here?

there is no doubt that I wish to return to SG, but circumstances are it is too competitive in the job market and the high cost of living. Yes, we may get a moderate paying job and still survive but not being able to enjoy, is that the kind of life we want to live?
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    three to four raining or overcast days (without direct sunlight) here is enough to affect my mood adversely. winter in uk is no fun.
    Singapore is a great place for the well to do people and not for the average people.

Well to do people really enjoy singapore peace and beauty.

Average people work too hard to meet the living standard and miss all the beauty and curse under the sun.

Below average people don't even have time to think.

this is just the very thought i've been having lately.

I've been exploring options of teaching english overseas, namely to be in taipei/korea/china, but seems like my main disadvantages are -
    1) not white
    2) not american/british/canadian i.e. "Native Speaker"/English-speaking countries
    3) no TESL (Teaching English as Second Language) certification

anyone got better ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    What planet are you living on? Healthcare in the US is extremely expensive, there is no welfare system to speak of, and health insurance is both expensive and has a lot of exclusions. Many Americans do not get necessary medical treatment because they cannot afford health insurance.
    wow,

Lots of changes since I last heard from friends living there somet time back. Guess my knowledge needs updating again.

Thanks for the refreshing reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by superbeng
    this is just the very thought i've been having lately.

I've been exploring options of teaching english overseas, namely to be in taipei/korea/china, but seems like my main disadvantages are -
    1) not white
    2) not american/british/canadian i.e. "Native Speaker"/English-speaking countries
    3) no TESL (Teaching English as Second Language) certification

anyone got better ideas?
    A girl of Eastern European descent with a B.A. from an Australian Uni has tried an interview to be an English teacher in Japan. She failed the interview as the Japanese recruitment agency has the rule that if you come to Australia before 12-year-old you're not native speaker.

However there is nothing to stop you from giving private English lessons in those countries.
    Last edited by Sion; 24th July 2005 at 09:42 PM.

i m indonesian but i prefer singapore. cleaner and safer.

hehe.. almost all indonesian say that.. but indonesia is where they money making place is.. if i am a indo, i will start digging there.. (actually i am working on indo business since 2 yrs ago)

whatever it is.. singapore is -ok- ... well balance overall, but still.. like what many say, its greener on the other side. I been working in a few countries and hv to say spore is alright in terms of workload... but if u young and full of energy, there's other places more demanding (but pays better too)

About the public toilet thing, most already take things for granted. But also look at most people in Singapore (not just Singaporean alone), simply bo-chap right? :
    I'm not sure what you want to say/mean but I agree that S'poreans have this bo-chap (don't-care-attitude). I see more "no littering", "no eating/drinking" (which you can easily guess is to curb littering, "no smoking", and "flush after use" signs than in other places, say Melbourne (where I'm in now). In fact, this bo-chap none-of-my-business attitude is so bad that bystanders don't offer help to others in trouble. In Melbourne, I have been kindly told by 2 Caucasians on 2 separate occasions to be careful of my camera and my laptop while in public. I have seen a Caucasian tram commuter voluntarily explaining to a group of Asians on what ticket to buy for their journey.

Regarding the well-educated & younger entrepreneurial and inventive persons in Australia than here is simply because they have rights protected. Not here, who cares about you at all. Even the government can't do anything about it! Really pissed-off right?
    Actually, I was refering more to way Asians educate themselves -- by rote learning. It's basically or mostly by remembering/memorising, hence not understanding enough to invent and innovate. In S'pore, almost every other guy you meet (even in ClubSnap) is an engineer. I'm sure S'pore has an impressive army of engineers for a tiny nation. However, we had to buy the silver-button-beeping-pedestrian-crossing-system from Australia (a country well known for being 1 of the laziest in the world, and not as technologically savvy as S'pore). Why couldn't LTA/URA/HDB/whatever contract some S'porean company or polytechnic or NUS to come up with an original design?

Hmmm.... About the death penalty thing, whoever steps into this country or born here & kill someone, you're dead meat. Everyone is expendable here. Unless you got mental problem. Hee...hee...
    You are correct to say that anyone, local or foreign, gets the death penalty in S'pore. However, I think you missed my point. My point was, according to Amnesty International, S'pore's death penalty was awarded too many times (or too often) that the death rate is even deadlier than China's (or some Muslim country like Indonesia where they have execution by firing squad). In simple English, the point is... everybody must be hanged; all hang, must hang, sure hang.

Regarding the government controlling our rights is that without this rules, Singapore will be doom man! Imagine a place without any natural resources. So, slave driver is the only way to go dude.
    Doom or not, I won't speak/write a paragraph to say/predict the fate S'pore due to this tight control. It's too complicated. Yes, I agree that S'pore has no natural resources. With all the competition from other countries, I realise now why S'poreans are working harder and longer for less. Haven't you observed your parents' work hours and work load in recent years? I know S'poreans are slaving.

China have a long history since Munchuria till now. They are in fact, influence by them when they were ruled by this countries. Do correct me if I am wrong. Thanks a lot.
    I'm not sure what you mean to say by this, and I'm not sure if you are correct at all. If anything, China is gaining strong western influence mainly from US, just like Japan was mostly influenced by the England. (In case you didn't know, the popular sailor-suit school uniform worn by Japanese girls since early 20th century were actually copied from the English navy which first introduced them as uniforms for their sailors.)

We can never compete with the China or India labour market. You are down right right! Prepare to face your death dude.
    My death? Without going into specifics, I think the bright light of S'pore will go out sooner than Australia's. No offence intended.

Almost the whole global manufacturing chain come from China or India. But I think China plays the major role here. Even the US of A (our world police) don't even dare to play punk with them.
    Yes I know.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast