Thread: Flash Photography @ Weddings

Default Flash Photography @ Weddings

Hi,

I'm helping a friend shoot for his wedding, but I have little experience with flash photography for such events. I've got a Canon 10D and Speedlite 420EX w/Omni-Bounce (the white covers that goes over the flash).

Whats the best setting to use for such events? Do you go with with Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or Manual.... and how should I set it? Also, should I go for direct flash, or use the omni-bounce? (assuming there's a high ceiling)

Any advise will be appreciated.... dun wanna screw it up for my friend on his big day....

Thanks.

vince123123
    Guests

Aperture priority is usually preferred by most people. If high ceiling then use a bounce card or some sort of diffuser. The bigger the diffuser, the better the result.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave
    Hi,

I'm helping a friend shoot for his wedding, but I have little experience with flash photography for such events. I've got a Canon 10D and Speedlite 420EX w/Omni-Bounce (the white covers that goes over the flash).

Whats the best setting to use for such events? Do you go with with Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or Manual.... and how should I set it? Also, should I go for direct flash, or use the omni-bounce? (assuming there's a high ceiling)

Any advise will be appreciated.... dun wanna screw it up for my friend on his big day....

Thanks.

when is the wedding? it'll be good to practice a lot and read up on flash photography.
    There wun be 1 magical setting that does that job. But I normally use either A or M modes.

Reading the theories are simple.. putting them into use is difficult.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Oh yeah... one more thing... Wats the preferred lens? wide? tele? or something in between?

vince123123
    Guests

if you have to choose, wides are usually more preferred, especially if the space is anticipated to be confined (e.g. HDB flats)

Oh yeah... one more thing... Wats the preferred lens? wide? tele? or something in between?

Default errm...

geez, do u need an extra cam? i'll do it for free....

i helped my cousin b4. i think its really fun...

17~40f4, if you have this, if not something same range.

Indoor, I usually go with manual settings to have full control. Of course, you need to set the shutter speeds and aperture according to what you want to capture. The faster the shutter speeds and wider the aperture, the darker the background would be.

Hi,

Thanks.
    Few questions:

1) Are you the main photographer? or the only photographer?
    2) Will there be church wedding or just tea ceremony plus dinner? (I assume is Chinese wedding. if not malay and indian wedding?)
    3) What lens will you be using?

Will give tips when you provide more info...