Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Where's the best place to convert film to images?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    533

    Default Where's the best place to convert film to images?

    Hey, am using a Nikon SLR right now. But am although i'm interested in posting some of me photos online, i haven't got a scanner. Don't intend to get one either. Real estate problem around my desk.

    So where's the best place i could convert those photos i have (on film) into images. How much do they charge? and are they any good? Budget not very high lah..

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Where's the best place to convert film to images?

    Originally posted by rochkoh
    Hey, am using a Nikon SLR right now. But am although i'm interested in posting some of me photos online, i haven't got a scanner. Don't intend to get one either. Real estate problem around my desk.

    So where's the best place i could convert those photos i have (on film) into images. How much do they charge? and are they any good? Budget not very high lah..
    Colour Lab Photo Finishing. #B1-07 Adelphi. Charges are $9.90 per roll if you let the process and scan, $12.00 if you send in a processed roll. You will get a CD-R back with 1800x1200 JPG scans of your film negatives.

    Regards
    CK

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Default

    Hi Roch,
    with great dissapointment of the fast obseletion of the digicam models, i purchased my SLR 2 years ago and last year i bought my acer film scanner. Till now, i got no regret of my purchase as i could enjoy both conventional SLR and digital photography. The scanner cost about S$600++ (Acer Scanwit 2720S). This is how i practice now:
    1) film developed = S$3.5 per roll, if u go frequent to d same shop, u can even ask for a S$3/roll price (that's is what i been paying now.) and it took only 15 - 20 min for a normal lab to proccess a roll film.
    2) scan the film at my own pace at my PC. This is really enjoyable, as i have darkroom experience, it's a very similar experience when u preview ur image scan out from your PC monitor. for full resolution, it took about 1.5 hour to scan a whole 36 exposure roll.

    i felt the ROI (return of investment) is really fast, till now, i have been shooting almost hundred rolls ! and guys, i have both negatives/slides and CD-rom archives !

    but beware, the acer film scanner Scanwit 2720S very sensitive to high ISO film, i use only Fuji superior 100, NPH 400, NPS160 and Reala 100. . AVOID kodak MAX, totally unusable....GRAIN GRAIN GRAIN...

    However, the best result come from slide (any brand)....

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Originally posted by spider
    Hi Roch,
    with great dissapointment of the fast obseletion of the digicam models, i purchased my SLR 2 years ago and last year i bought my acer film scanner. Till now, i got no regret of my purchase as i could enjoy both conventional SLR and digital photography. The scanner cost about S$600++ (Acer Scanwit 2720S). This is how i practice now:
    1) film developed = S$3.5 per roll, if u go frequent to d same shop, u can even ask for a S$3/roll price (that's is what i been paying now.) and it took only 15 - 20 min for a normal lab to proccess a roll film.
    2) scan the film at my own pace at my PC. This is really enjoyable, as i have darkroom experience, it's a very similar experience when u preview ur image scan out from your PC monitor. for full resolution, it took about 1.5 hour to scan a whole 36 exposure roll.

    i felt the ROI (return of investment) is really fast, till now, i have been shooting almost hundred rolls ! and guys, i have both negatives/slides and CD-rom archives !

    but beware, the acer film scanner Scanwit 2720S very sensitive to high ISO film, i use only Fuji superior 100, NPH 400, NPS160 and Reala 100. . AVOID kodak MAX, totally unusable....GRAIN GRAIN GRAIN...

    However, the best result come from slide (any brand)....
    Spider,

    Wow! Looks like i might have to get a scanner afterall. Done some due diligence over the last coupla days. It's not worth converting prints/slides to images. Really cost a bomb. Besides, i don't always need ALL the shots in a roll. And converting individual (selective) print/slides to images is even more expensive.

    Agree that Kodak MAX is very grainy. Tried the fuji superias recently and was really blown away by the difference. Will stay far far away from the Kodak MAXes from now. Just bought my first roll of slide film (Provia 100) and will be taking a variety of shots this weekend to test it's flexibility.

    Do you scan your images from slides? How do the images appear? Interested to find out more.

    rOCh

  6. #6

    Default

    Hi Roch,

    i've been 2 years never travel oversea thus no chance to take slide.... however, my friend passed me some slide (Kodak and fuji) and he was pleased with the result and bought the same scanner then (Acer should thanks me)......

    from my own findings, if u bought the scanner (get the later model, 2740, cost only 100 bucks more, i think) stick to Fuji Superior 100. For high ISO, only NPH400. NPC160 i used only for xperimental purpose (actually i looking for NPS160, but only can find NPC160). Reala a bit ex for negative...only for bright outdoor, so i used when i shot landscape.

    however, if u loaded, may be can consider the canon new film scanner that launch last year, but prepare to take out S$1.5K+++

    attached some samples, all image color are unadjust, uncrop, un-level, and scanned in 1350dpi (max 2400dpi), 24bit (max48bit), did not scan at max cos time consuming. images was then reize and convert to jpg:

    This is done with Fuji 100


    Kodak slide (my fred forgot to tell which model)
    Last edited by spider; 17th February 2002 at 10:54 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    NPH400 outdoor (evening)


    NPH400 indoor (Flash)


    NPC160
    Last edited by spider; 17th February 2002 at 11:05 AM.

  8. #8

    Default

    As u can see from the photo i posted, the dynamic range of this scanner is no suffice. Grain is a problem for film scanner, so i emphasis on low ISO or fine grain film. Slide is really test your skill, remember, exposure and metering is crucial else u'll need hard time using photoshop to adjust the level.

    u may want to see review on the scanner at http://www.photographyreview.com/Sca...S_3126crx.aspx
    befor u make any purchase

    btw, my cat is camera-shy , and the little boy is my nephew..

  9. #9

    Default

    the cat is darn cute... looks like my one too.. kekeke

  10. #10

    Default Re: Re: Where's the best place to convert film to images?

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Colour Lab Photo Finishing. #B1-07 Adelphi. Charges are $9.90 per roll if you let the process and scan, $12.00 if you send in a processed roll. You will get a CD-R back with 1800x1200 JPG scans of your film negatives.

    Regards
    CK
    Does anyone have any idea the operating hour of
    Colour Lab Photo Finishing?

    Thanks

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: Where's the best place to convert film to images?

    Originally posted by scanner


    Does anyone have any idea the operating hour of
    Colour Lab Photo Finishing?

    Thanks
    Mon-Fri : 10am to 7:30pm
    Sat : 10am to 4:30pm

    Closed on Sundays/Public Holidays.

    Regards
    CK

  12. #12
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by spider
    Hi Roch,

    i've been 2 years never travel oversea thus no chance to take slide.... however, my friend passed me some slide (Kodak and fuji) and he was pleased with the result and bought the same scanner then (Acer should thanks me)......
    Why do you have to travel overseas to take slides?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •