Thread: Multiple Flash Shooting - Studio or EOS

Default Multiple Flash Shooting - Studio or EOS

Hi,

I am planning to embark on more serious flash photography and in the cross-roads now. Should I invest in Studio Lighting or should I used do an upgrade on what I have and use 2-3 EOS flashes in slave settings.

The Studio option is going to be more expensive and bulky but I assume that it will also be more flexible although the process is very manual.

The EOS Option is quite automatic, smaller and power and flexibility is not there.

In both these options, I would be investing in the usuals, Umbrella, softbox and reflectors.

So what do I do? Appreciate input from experts out there. I am balancing budget, flexibility, portability and but I do not want to compromise quality.

Sigh..... Thanks Josh

The bigger question is: What do you plan to shoot with your strobe set up?

Basically single and family potraits both in doors and out doors

In that case, go with studio strobes. If you're going to use a biggish softbox that's at least 1 meter long, hotshoe flashes are generally not powerful enough to illuminate a group comfortably.

Buy at least 500W/s units. Elinchrom, Bowens from the usual shops. Bowens has a lot more different type of light modifiers than Elinchrom. Both are equally well supported locally.

You could also look at Profoto but if you're after value, the former two would be better for it. However, Profoto's own light modifiers are a serious cut above these two (not relevant if you shooting the usual boring portraits with softbox lighting), and the lights are generally hardier.

To bring the lights outdoors, you can buy a cheap inverter like the one from Tronix - http://www.innovatronix.com/cgi-bin/...alog/index.asp (note: use only strobes with analog power control).

BTW, using independently placed strobes is best figured out the 'manual' way with a light meter and some thinking...........
    Last edited by kahheng; 19th July 2005 at 03:38 PM.

Hey thanks for your help. Now to figure out what I need.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmony
    Hey thanks for your help. Now to figure out what I need.
    btw, how seriously serious are u in serious flash photography? cos, buying studio lightings are not a cheap affair. a basic setup can knock u back at least $2k.

if u are doing both in and outdoors (which, AFAIK, requires different wattage of flash power?), u might want to look into lightings which have a built-in capacitor. i think afiend is running a MO on portable lights (and accessories) in the consumer section. go check it out?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Thanks Grey Jei. I did contact afiend and will be buying some stuff off him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmony
    Thanks Grey Jei. I did contact afiend and will be buying some stuff off him.
    no sweat! afiend is a nice chap to deal with. do ask him how to use it effectively cos he uses the same lights to shoot some great pics recently!
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal