Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of a photographer who uses D70 for weddings?

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder
    Great idea!

Once I was shooting in an evening gala event, and one of the ladies seeing me taking out a 512 MB CF card, appoached me and said: "Huh? Everyone nowadays using 1 GB card and you are still using a 512, ah?"

So I paused for a second, and slowly reached for my 2 GB CF card in my casing and showed it to her with my response:"Why would I need a 1GB card...when I have a 2GB one??" (gave her a blank look at the same time)

Feeling a bit taken aback, she said:"...like that enough meh?"
    I replied: "More than enough for this type of event"
    it's funny sometimes how people like to snide others for the things they use. anyway that was a very nice way to reply her

Blog Entries

Great idea!

Once I was shooting in an evening gala event, and one of the ladies seeing me taking out a 512 MB CF card, appoached me and said: "Huh? Everyone nowadays using 1 GB card and you are still using a 512, ah?"

So I paused for a second, and slowly reached for my 2 GB CF card in my casing and showed it to her with my response:"Why would I need a 1GB card...when I have a 2GB one??" (gave her a blank look at the same time)

great one, snowspeeder!!
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    I've noticed that bridal shop roadshows (of which photographers work with I suppose) feature portfolios of previous weddings, not a display of camera gear that photographers use.
    But most importantly, who were the ones that shot the images?

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    espn: You can shoot my wedding but only if you use a 300/350D. Nikons simply don't cut it.
    Even if I use Canon, it won't be a 3xxD.

It is sad indeed when people judge you for what equipment you have or how you dress or what car you drive. Stop looking at teh equipment and start looking at the photographer.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    great one, snowspeeder!!
    I won't bother... I got better things to do like shoot the images I want, than to explain and/or show others down.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    I alway felt underpaid leh, but hor people said I got no passion, only want money only.

Why they say no money no talk can, when I say same thing pple say I money face?
    Passion! Passion! Where is your Passion?!

who are the ones who say you only want money? must go knock their heads, 真是有眼不识泰山

I have shot over 40 weddings with one of my D70s, its small and doesn't attract attention so people behave more naturally around you. It's about time people start looking at the photos rather than the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    It is sad indeed when people judge you for what equipment you have or how you dress or what car you drive. Stop looking at teh equipment and start looking at the photographer.
    agree ...

maybe the next time i go into an art gallery i must start asking the artist 'which brand of canvas you use ah? which brand of brushes you use? which brand of oil paint you use?'

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    I alway felt underpaid leh, but hor people said I got no passion, only want money only.

Why they say no money no talk can, when I say same thing pple say I money face?
    i think if bill gates go take pictures for event hor, he not only underpaid lor... he is machiam doing for free... imagine how much is he worth per hour... but den again, i won't pay durai to take my pics... he may overcharge.

anyway, see how justifiable is the price you charge lor, just tell them ITS WORTH IT!
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    i think if bill gates go take pictures for event hor, he not only underpaid lor... he is machiam doing for free... imagine how much is he worth per hour... but den again, i won't pay durai to take my pics... he may overcharge.

anyway, see how justifiable is the price you charge lor, just tell them ITS WORTH IT!
    TTD will use a golden D70

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    I thought thats the way life is nowadays? So its probably the same thing for photography...the more pro-looking, bigger your lens/cam body looks, ppl equate you to be a "pro". Sad but true....

Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Bring both the pro body along with the D70 to the wedding, but shoot with D70.
    That should solve the "see you no up" syndrome.
    thats the worse... in the end the pics taken suxs 2x when ppl think you use a pro body...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

In business POV, is better to use D70 and charge >$1K, instead of using a D2X charge<$1K,

In consumer POV, is a great deal to have someone use D2X to shoot $500 for you.

In Artistic POV, money and camera doesn’t ready matter, is the picture matter most.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter
    Just curious, will you get someone who use D70 for your own wedding?
    Let me read deeper into your question, maybe in some way, trying to save your backside.... if it's saveable.

imo, i feel that us being photographers "clouds" our minds with the technical side of photography, which invariably, includes the equipment we, or other pple, use.

besides the fact that we all (i hope) know that the onus is on the photograper, not the camera, to produce good photos, i still feel that no matter how we try, technicalities can cloud our judgement, more in some, less in others.

so to answer your question, when i get married, my (non-photography inclined) wife will choose the photographer!!! that would be an objective view on his portfolio, and anyway, it's the girl that's usually more fussy.

harry porter, u could be implying that if a photographer is damn good, why is he "stuck" with a d70? ans could be a personal thing. he might just love his d70 soooooo much he won't use anything else to shoot. u can't blame him for that. on the other hand, like i said, technicalities sometimes cloud our judgement, and yes, there are other cameras that can BETTER AID this skillful photographer, but he's not using them, so that brings suspicion to the discerned consumer.

back to earth example: the NORMAL consumer will sometimes ask how many megapixels my cam is. u know wat i say? i say, 12mp, but i only shoot at 6, becos it's more than enuff for 4R size. why? when i know it's really only a 6 mp cam (s2/s3) but then i can output in 12mp wat, so i'm not lying. but 12mp sounds big, so the customer is happy.. or happi-er...

so maybe we know better, that it's the photog that makes great photos, but MOST pple look at the photos, then the "data" (make / model of cam, megapixels etc). you see, u can't show a BEAUTIFUL portfolio that rocks the panties off katie holmes, and tell her u'll use a P&S to shoot her and tom cruise.

ok.. bad example, but she is such a girl u'd like to bring home to ur mother. *sigh*

JOHO, very well said!

For me, I agree too that skill and equipment both influences the client's judgement. A D2X or D2H will definitely give you more consistance focused photo and higher successful rate if you need to shoot fast. A D70 can be just as good too if the photographer is familiar with the capability of the cam.

Just curious...did anyone actually bother to notice what lenses a photographer used? Bring a 400mm f2.8 and leave it aside permanently on a tripod and I am sure the crowd will respect you as a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER
    DR KOH KHO KING

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    Just curious...did anyone actually bother to notice what lenses a photographer used? Bring a 400mm f2.8 and leave it aside permanently on a tripod and I am sure the crowd will respect you as a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER
    And I'll laugh my ass off when it's been ka-poh'd without the ADP know.

I've been paid to shoot weddings & events using prosumer digicams and low-end film SLRs. Granted, these were mostly for people I personally knew, but they were satisfied with the results. From the pics, who can tell what camera took the shots?

HOWEVER, I will agree that people will always judge you based on the gear you own. I think I would've gotten more contracts if I simply had a bigger camera because one of the first questions potential clients like to ask is, "what camera are you using?"
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Great idea!

Actually for important events, I think I would be doing everyone a favour if I did NOT use those super-huge capacity cards. It's like putting all your eggs in one basket. Imagine if your 4GB CF full of wedding shots kena corrupted, you will basically go up the lorry already.

For me, 3 x 512MB + 1 x 1GB is more than enough for an entire day's shoot. (I set images at 'Super-fine' JPEG mode, full 8MP res. Avg 5MB/image.)
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

As I wanted to buy D70, I was asking around. And just happened to see this photographer, at my relative wedding dinner, who is using D70.

He is a freelance wedding photographer. I asked him if D70 is good. He said yes.

I thought wedding photographer should be using semi-pro or pro camera such as D2H, D2X or 20D, 1Ds kinda cameras.

I didn't ask him why he is using a consumer dSLR as I dunno much about SLR yet, dun want to embarrase myself.

Any comments???????
    Got skill, give u Prosumer oso no sweat.

No skill, give u 1DsMkII + 16-35 f/2.8 oso useless.

Where's ur skill? Care to show us some pix?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Just curious, will you get someone who use D70 for your own wedding?
    Just curious, will you get someone who use 1DsMkII with no skill for your own wedding?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast