Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of a photographer who uses D70 for weddings?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by bilalbz
    any sunday you go to sentosa (tanjong beach) and see photographers with medium format cameras to do wedding photography. and often enough you can tell the pictures are likely to be crap with an overcast no decent light, crowds all around, typical sentosa backdrop etc. etc. even a basic photography enthusiast can tell the couple is spending couple of thousand dollars *at least* on their wedding photos on photos that are not likely to turn out even decent enough. so give them a D70 or a Mamiya, if the photographer doesnt know what he's doing or doesnt *care* enough to make his pictures good, the quipment becomes meaningless. and yes I have seen far more then enough amazing pictures from D70 and 300/350D to know you can definitely produce great pictures for a wedding with the most basic DSLRs if you know what you're doing.
    Wow... you can actually know how their shots will turn out just by looking at them.

Default ayo

ayo ayo..enough lah enough lah...
    Looking at the topic, its actually talk round and round the same thing...almost to the extent of comparing of nikon cameras and canon,
    comparing of digital and film.

You guys keep saying its the man behind the camera, because we are all from the photographers line.

Can you guys put yourself in the shoes of the clients who know nuts about photography and have yet to see your portfolio. For sure, the usage of higher range cameras could somehow make them feel at ease initially. .

This is the real business world

everyone sounds very noble, others take photos like S***T and you are the best. Please lah...photography are very objective, you can take very artistic wedding pictures which clients might not appreciate...you know what I mean.

Just go out there and shoot and charge whatever amount you think its enough to cover your effort AND your equipment.
    Do not need to show off how good your photography skills are with a low end camera and others like crab with high end cameras and so on....

possibly to close this Harry Potter' thread and let life goes on....

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Tell that to the D70 user who was shooting wedding at fullerton that tried hard to conceal his D70 with 18-70DX behind himself as my friends walked past with all the pro bodies and heavy artillery.
    Hahaha! Size matters!

ANyway, whenever you bring some huge lens along, the general public will assume... "pro".... So I guess this is one of those general public....

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter
    I am sorry!!!
    Just shoot more.... don't keep playing with your magic wand ah....

Btw, if you ever pick up Popular Photography and look at the pics and credits, you'd notice that some of the great pictures were taken with prosumer DSLR.

In any case, "prosumer DSLR" is just a name to segment the market by manufacturers. Yesterday's professional camera's may not even compare favourably to tomorrow's entry level prosumer camera, feature for feature.

Quote Originally Posted by ambient2004
    ayo ayo..enough lah enough lah...
    Looking at the topic, its actually talk round and round the same thing...almost to the extent of comparing of nikon cameras and canon,
    comparing of digital and film.

You guys keep saying its the man behind the camera, because we are all from the photographers line.

Can you guys put yourself in the shoes of the clients who know nuts about photography and have yet to see your portfolio. For sure, the usage of higher range cameras could somehow make them feel at ease initially. .

This is the real business world

everyone sounds very noble, others take photos like S***T and you are the best. Please lah...photography are very objective, you can take very artistic wedding pictures which clients might not appreciate...you know what I mean.

Just go out there and shoot and charge whatever amount you think its enough to cover your effort AND your equipment.
    Do not need to show off how good your photography skills are with a low end camera and others like crab with high end cameras and so on....

possibly to close this Harry Potter' thread and let life goes on....

Agree with what you say, especially this one:

everyone sounds very noble, others take photos like S***T and you are the best.

But please not close the thread lar, I find it very entertaining leh, everyone said pro are crap, all the pro are pian jiak one, and say themselves shoot better then the pro, wow, really learn something interest here.

Default thanks

it sounds like "cannot eat the grape say the grape is sour".

There is always a difference between pro cameras and consumer ones. If one can take better pictures with a consumer camera, then be it. USED IT!.
    Not necessary to flatten the market of pro cameras (probably you cant own it or no chance to touch it).

Go take photos of wedding gowns with a low end camera and with a pro camera and see the details retained on the wedding gown! see the over exposed and under exposed areas and do a comparison...

*if everyone can drive a proton saga, then no one will buy BM or Merz liao!.* Go figure out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ambient2004
    it sounds like "cannot eat the grape say the grape is sour".

There is always a difference between pro cameras and consumer ones. If one can take better pictures with a consumer camera, then be it. USED IT!.
    Not necessary to flatten the market of pro cameras (probably you cant own it or no chance to touch it).

Go take photos of wedding gowns with a low end camera and with a pro camera and see the details retained on the wedding gown! see the over exposed and under exposed areas and do a comparison...

*if everyone can drive a proton saga, then no one will buy BM or Merz liao!.* Go figure out yourself.
    Errrr.. I mean they say professional photographers all shoot like craps, whatever camera professional photographer used also come out like craps. hahahahhah

Default yap

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Errrr.. I mean they say professional photographers all shoot like craps, whatever camera professional photographer used also come out like craps. hahahahhah
    yap, though they might shoot like crap..but they must have their reasons to use such pro cameras right...

How abt someone using a leica? Have you been asked "You still using film PnS ah?"

To my basic understanding, a profession version of whatever garget is primary design to use in tougher situation and produce high quality result, so this garget is higher in term of price, for professional use is make more sense as in they will product consistency result and able to recover investment in a reasonable time frame, but whoever willing to pay high price just to obtain this profession version garget for non professional/industry also possible, As long he/she willing to pay the premium for it.

So lets us not keep arguing who should or shouldn’t use professional version gadgets/tools.

For an example, every household do have a mop and bucket, most of us will just get it from neighborhood store, if anyone wish to use a professional version clearing system, want it to provide extra clean result to thier own house, can consider using industrial wet vacuum clearer or use a industrial mop and bucket which we often see it in shopping mall.

Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter
    As I wanted to buy D70, I was asking around. And just happened to see this photographer, at my relative wedding dinner, who is using D70.

He is a freelance wedding photographer. I asked him if D70 is good. He said yes.

I thought wedding photographer should be using semi-pro or pro camera such as D2H, D2X or 20D, 1Ds kinda cameras.

I didn't ask him why he is using a consumer dSLR as I dunno much about SLR yet, dun want to embarrase myself.

Any comments???????
    he may not be pro enough

Quote Originally Posted by bilalbz
    any sunday you go to sentosa (tanjong beach) and see photographers with medium format cameras to do wedding photography. and often enough you can tell the pictures are likely to be crap with an overcast no decent light, crowds all around, typical sentosa backdrop etc. etc. even a basic photography enthusiast can tell the couple is spending couple of thousand dollars *at least* on their wedding photos on photos that are not likely to turn out even decent enough. so give them a D70 or a Mamiya, if the photographer doesnt know what he's doing or doesnt *care* enough to make his pictures good, the quipment becomes meaningless. and yes I have seen far more then enough amazing pictures from D70 and 300/350D to know you can definitely produce great pictures for a wedding with the most basic DSLRs if you know what you're doing.
    Not only outdoor shoots.

Couples paying a few thousand bucks for a pre-wedding album studio shoot can get a crap photographer with a couple of hundred thousand studio flash and equipment and all will be naught.

Unfortunately, its my buddy's sister once again. Studio flash went off, photographer chimps and said, "Camera faulty.". Readjusted something and redid the shot again for 3 or 4 times.

No assistance in posing couple. Just sat there and told couple to think of some poses to pose themselves.

Studio flash fired approximately over 200 times. Showed my buddy's sister only 50 photos and told to choose 26 of the best out of the 50 to make the album. I took a look and nearly suffered a stroke when I heard dat they paid like a thousand bucks for it.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Not only outdoor shoots.

Couples paying a few thousand bucks for a pre-wedding album studio shoot can get a crap photographer with a couple of hundred thousand studio flash and equipment and all will be naught.

Unfortunately, its my buddy's sister once again. Studio flash went off, photographer chimps and said, "Camera faulty.". Readjusted something and redid the shot again for 3 or 4 times.

Your buddy's sister very very suay. her sad stories keep being mention again and again.

For an example, every household do have a mop and bucket, most of us will just get it from neighborhood store, if anyone wish to use a professional version clearing system, want it to provide extra clean result to thier own house, can consider using industrial wet vacuum clearer or use a industrial mop and bucket which we often see it in shopping mall.
    Now this is a Pro Comment.

U all need good PS skill also la...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I think my priority will be on skill. An out-of-focus photo will not improve on film. And for consumers, 300 good photos is good enough. It doesn't matter if its from a batch of 1500. So I beg to differ, selecting 300 out of 1500 has nothing to do with professionalism because the latter is based on attitude. Of course, some will say bigger camera will look more professional but , in my opinion, for people who depend too much on this theory lacks the skill to be a real professional and just plain insecure.
    Aiyoyo ..... what i mean is, if i am the couples, .... (That TSD taking 1500 photo of me) then i need to smile 1500 times .... i think my face will chou jing lor ..... Imagine when he taking the family photo, and i believe that, he after taking 1 photo, will preview 1, and delete 1 .... then retake, .... all our smiles will gone lor ....
    So using D70s or D2x all the same lor, get a BIG memory card is right one !!!

Meow meow want to go catch mouse liao lar ....

this thread is still going on strong!

I must say to 1500 raw images for a wedding are very very impressive, but is possible, and with large capacity CF so affordable nowadays is not a big issue, more over a portable memory storage device is very commonly used.

I believe that xxxger like to point out is: if photographer A practice shoot 1500 raw pick 300, and Photographer B shoot 700 jpg and pick 300, both charge the same price and produce same quality final output. Which method is making more sense to you (as a photographer)?

Ok, if you may say the photographer A produce higher quality final output, so should charge higher. Sure, no problems, no issues, it because more work involved, time consuming for postproductions, but customers like it, want it, so make customers pay lor.

But what if customer canít tell the different the works of Photographer A between Photographer B, except the price?

To be frank, you(photographers) have to see things from customerís perspective, as long if the photograph captured what the want for their wedding day, the photos look great to them, they donít really care who shoot it, how you shoot it and the most important, the price must within their expectation with this kind of works.

Most of the time is we photographers spend our energy nit pick on certain issues, which most customers donít ready care, bother, or want. And you ask them to pay money for this? You must be joking.

i agree with catchlight on this...

seriously, there is 2 ways to go about it, if you really feel damn 'zai', den by all means shoot 350 or less for a 300 shot contract event... if you ain't, take 10000 shots den choose 300 for them, its just a matter of choosing, and having it at least dun regret never have it in the 1st place... i'll say, even i take 1.5k of pics for a day event, i dun think i so damn bad to be able to choose only 300 shots... there will be about at least 1k shots that is good, just that maybe the customer may not want something like that, and there will always be a point when customers say i also like those, sell to me... den it will increase revenue...

(above statement is based on digital... if film... confirm lugi until bankrupt...)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

To be frank, you(photographers) have to see things from customerís perspective, as long if the photograph captured what the want for their wedding day, the photos look great to them, they donít really care who shoot it, how you shoot it and the most important, the price must within their expectation with this kind of works.
    Yeah... a photographer might think a bride with a tree growing out of her head is a bad photo but there could be a chance that her friends might find it funny and order it. Here is an example that hangs between good and bad (saw from another forum, find out why this photo had to be edited for the sake of the old folks and children).

http://www.tricoastphoto.com/Post_Pi...edding/019.jpg

So I think a good photographer shooting 1500 and choosing 300 only means that he/she have a chance to sell 301 onwards if his/her photos are really nice. So adding to Del_CtrlnoAlt comment, film users double lugi... just kidding... not against any kind of camera.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast