View Poll Results: Do u think ur career will have an impact on how u view things?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

103 87.29%
  • No

15 12.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Occupation and outlook on life

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Sure, x years in civil service already, and my peers in private sector said that I become very conservative, no risk-taker, everything consider and re-consider.. Damn sian of myself, seem to lose that "devil-care" attitude that I used to be while overseas.. hehehe.. damn, the pay is good, the job is stable (at least for the next 2 years) before some so-called scho"lah" talk about outsourcing again.. sigh.
    Definition of 'conservative' vs 'aggressive' is pretty subjective.

Of cos, where its a 'no-holds barred' mudslinging affair in the Private Sector, Civil Service is still constrained pretty much by certain OB markers. Some plus and minuses to it though.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Do u guys feel that ur choice of career (even if u're unemployed) would have an impact and influence on how u view current affairs and other things in life (including personal opinions)?
    From what I've seen there is some convergence of views when you look at different industries, however this may be due to educational factors as most tertiary schools tend to produce 'clones' when it comes to thought processes anyway.

Of more bearing on the matter are early childhood experiences, your parents views and the prevailing environment in society that you grew up in, these factors tend to have far more impact on your world views and opinions, political persuasion etc.

Naturally travel, exposure to other cultures and their values, reading of the international press and so on may often have a profound influence on a persons views over time, or in some cases they simply add weight to existing views.

Ultimately it all comes down to how aware you wish to be, and many folks like to be like the ostrich, with their heads buried in the sand feeling nice and safe, rather than confronting reality.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Default Re: Occupation and outlook on life

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    .....and many folks like to be like the ostrich, with their heads buried in the sand feeling nice and safe, rather than confronting reality.
    To some reality is in the sand.

Came from electrical engineering background, regret coming to IT, thinking of going back to engineering.

wah lau. who go and dig up this old poll... vote already then realise

Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    wah lau. who go and dig up this old poll... vote already then realise
    Updating outlook on life?

yah man... super old thread...
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

My career will not impact me on how I view life. It's what I read that will do so. By reading, you're learning the experiences of so many more people.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Do u guys feel that ur choice of career (even if u're unemployed) would have an impact and influence on how u view current affairs and other things in life (including personal opinions)?
    Yes. Nice bokeh by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by togu View Post
    * togu kick RNCW into the water to join jsbn...

Fat your head! IT pple die young, either of stress, go blind, boneaching, finger cramp sickness, or radiation...

When you don't take care you can die sooner or later disregarding
    whether you are in IT, Engineering, Medicine, Architecture or Marketing.

--------------------------------------------------------
    The outlook of life is not just watching what you do for a career, it is
    what you do to another human and your willingness to allow your mind
    to explore available wisdom beyond planet earth.

Quote Originally Posted by togu View Post
    Yes, after about 8 years in IT, all my friends (except those in IT) commented that my thinking is weird.
    Same with my friends acquaintances who often thought that I am more
    weird as I grow older. Some may even term me as crazy with my ideas
    and opinions regarding facts I have discovered about human resistance
    to strange happenings on planet earth.

From enginnering College into enginnering college as lecturer...been there since 1999...not bad with an average of salary and a good semester break system. Can be considered a cosplayin' cikgu

Life to me is never better and gets even better as we go along(late dad's philosophy to me)

Hold on a second....

Cosplayin' Cikgu?

Talking Re: Occupation and outlook on life

Hold on a second....

Cosplayin' Cikgu?
    yes forgot to mention I also cosplay since 2002...my BOSS, my collegues and also my students know I cosplay

So I'm a lecturer@teacher@cikgu and I cosplay...so I'm a Cosplayin' Cikgu

more or less... my co hires me to chase payments so over the time.. think my character is that, i tend to be more suspicious because i keep hearing lies like most of the time i also learn to try to see things from another person's angle... from customer's pt of view, and our pt of view.. sometimes it's really depressing esp when i keep hearing ppl delaying becos of personal problems like death of their family member... dunno how to say lah... just will affect in 1 way or another ....
    爱是要时间慢慢培养的。。

Quote Originally Posted by furrycake View Post
    more or less... my co hires me to chase payments so over the time.. think my character is that, i tend to be more suspicious because i keep hearing lies like most of the time i also learn to try to see things from another person's angle... from customer's pt of view, and our pt of view.. sometimes it's really depressing esp when i keep hearing ppl delaying becos of personal problems like death of their family member... dunno how to say lah... just will affect in 1 way or another ....
    today hor, i just talk to 1 person who do auditing... he gimme alot of funny analogy when i ask him a super straight forward question... can tell me about the weather's PSI, then bird's eye view lah, clouds and the trees, then they only see from top, dunno what is going on lah...

i think he might have something to do with the haze... cos he was trying to smoke me from the moment i enter his office.

i wonder if my lecturer who taught me in degree must have either over taught us on the role of an au*beep*tor... or this guy trying to make me confused... either way, i still did not get the answer...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

it is not occupation, it is more than that; health, social life and personal management.

i had a fren who once earned 5 digits every month, but no time to enjoy his big car, luxurious condo etc...and yet he often boost his positive view on life becos of his great career...guess what ? his wife had a secret affair with someone.. becos her husband was not at home but busy working in office on weekends.

thru his downfall, i came to learn that outlook of life is not impacted by type of occupation.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 26th June 2007 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    it is not occupation, it is more than that; health, social life and personal management.

i had frens who once earned 5 digits every month, but no time to enjoy his big car, luxurious condo etc.. why ? becos his high salary also came with high commitment to job.. end up his wife had a secret affair with someone.. becos her husband was even at home but office on weekends.

huh, the wife so tok gong, husband at home also can have secret affair... and bring to office on weekends somemore...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    huh, the wife so tok gong, husband at home also can have secret affair... and bring to office on weekends somemore...
    yo.. typo error... i edit liao

".. was not at home "

After plenty of schooling Ah Kiat considered a career in investment banking (in S'pore some more)...luckily I ended up lecturing in a university. What a life man! Good pay for the amount of bludging that I do hehe. Gives me more time to appreciate the little things in life lah, and my gf is just glad that I'm not working 24/7. On hindsight I'm glad I didn't end up a banker because passing on my kiasu knowledge to my students is ultimately very rewarding lah.

Alot of people don't believe me when I say that I learn from students as much as they learn from me. The amount of creativism, innovation plus some degree of recklessness in the students show that one can learn alot from them if one's willing to listen (so what if they're younger). I take the same view in life as well as photography lah - to me everyone's my teacher.

I'm constantly reminded of this quote that I saw somewhere. It's like the turtle in the well story. It goes like this:

"O God, Thy sea is so big but my boat is so small."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast