Thread: Question about Camera Maintainence

Default Question about Camera Maintainence

I bought a second hand nikon F55 in Jan this year. Its about 2 years old and in mint condition since I bought it. I bought a lowepro cam bag for it and have left it in the bag and in my cupboard since Jan til now. I occasionally take it out a few days a month and snap pictures before returning it to the cupboard.

Just wondering what maintainence should i perform for my camera. Do I need to get a dry box thing for my cam or is it ok where it is in my bag in the cupboard? Wats a drybox for anyways?

The high humidity in our part of the world is not a good thing for cameras. 2 things can happen to cameras.

1) Mould can grow on lenses. Higher humidity means more likely for the mould to grow.
    2) The seals around a camera's shutter and its compartment tend to break down, thereby allowing light in when it's not supposed to.

I learnt this the hard way many years ago. On one occassion, I sent in a roll of film to be developed, only to be told that it was ALL over exposed. Meaning I got only black pictures. I sent my camera for a check and was told that the seal around the shutter literally disintegrated. I was advised to get a dry box or cabinet.

A dry box or dry cabinet helps to keep the humidity at a more suitable level for cameras, tapes, and other stuff. A dry cabinet is preferable over a dry box as with it, you can set the level of humidity. With a dry box, you need to use silica gel which you need to replace every time you open the box. On top of that, you can't control the level of humidity.

A dry cabinet is a good investment.

thanks for the info kietgnoel. I went and got myself a digi cabi 40l ... delivering today. Now i've got another newbie question :>

I can't tell the condition of my cam and lens. Is there some shop or something that does a basic cleaning and preventive maintainence of cameras that I can send my cam to ?

Also if i finally find out that my cam is infected. can i leave it in the dry cabi for the time being and remove it just before i get a new cam and put the new cam in the same dry cabi ? will the new cam be at risk of infection ? will a dry cabi retain the spores of the fungus ?

It would be best if you don't place a lens with fungus together with a lens that is does not have mould in the dry cabinet.

You can easily check if a lens has mould. Point the lens (without the camera body) towards a light source and look through it. See if it is clear. Mould will appear as either a blur layer or as streaks of blur. Look through both ends.

As for the body, if your pictures are turning out fine, then I don't think there's anything wrong with it. If you still want peace of mind, send it in to Nikon for a "checkup".