Thread: Tripod hor, what is the lightest and smallest tripod one can get?

Question Tripod hor, what is the lightest and smallest tripod one can get?

I had an aluminium slim leg tripod, 20cm long when contracted, however it's not stable. When I release shutter from remote, the lens head shakes a little. And my other SLIK is just TOO huge for me.

I need a full size tripod which is 25cm long when contracted, so that to fit into my backpack, while stable enuf for my 1.8Kg (tele + camera) system for birding. Any recomendations?

Go look at Gitzo carbon fibre models Gitzo.com

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    I had an aluminium slim leg tripod, 20cm long when contracted, however it's not stable. When I release shutter from remote, the lens head shakes a little. And my other SLIK is just TOO huge for me.

I need a full size tripod which is 25cm long when contracted, so that to fit into my backpack, while stable enuf for my 1.8Kg (tele + camera) system for birding. Any recomendations?
    I am using Gitzo 1027 with 1077M head. Total weight of this setup - 700g.
    Able to support my heaviest setup of D2H+17-35/2.8 (~2.0kg)

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Gitzo 1027 is cool, but the closed length is still too much. Have to tie to the outside of backback, but it affects my balance.

vince123123
    Guests

Check out the thread I posted some time back:

http://clubsnap.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=tripod

The recommendations there should suit you (although it wasn't what I was looking for).

Thank you all for your information. I think I have an idea of what to look for now.

lightest & smallest... think its a Q-pod.. but i prefer a Ultra-pod...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Think you need a CF tripod, and a sturdier ballhead....
    eat. drink. shoot

This one is similar to the slim leg I owned. Mine can stretch to same height but
    it was very weak and unsteady.
    Last edited by dRebelXT; 19th July 2005 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    I am using Gitzo 1027 with 1077M head. Total weight of this setup - 700g.
    Able to support my heaviest setup of D2H+17-35/2.8 (~2.0kg)

Eh? You started to use Gitzo?

This one is similar to the slim leg I owned. Mine can stretch to same height but
    I have been through that path. Forget about brandless-pull-to-extend type of tripods. They are never stable. When you look for a tripod you should start with stability (for your intended equipment) then follow by weight, retracted length, max height etc. Anyway light legs has limited max height.

Never compromise anything with stability. It defeats all purpose of a tripod.

After going through many models, I still find the French legs are the sexiest.

vince123123
    Guests

well this also has its uses. Can use for compact cameras Anyway these types of tripods are not intended for SLR usage.

hi there...

mayb u can try look at Slik Sprint Pro?

jus my 2 cents worth...