Thread: Tripod during travelling

Default Tripod during travelling

I'm thinking very hard on whether to bring my tripod during my upcoming trip to Bali. Main concern is the bulk. I do have a tripod carry strap. Do I need to check it in? Can it be hand luggage? Most of all, how convenient/inconvenient is lugging a tripod when moving from point to point on a trip?

Thanks in advance for the sharing of experiences

This is a very subjective thing....I will forgo the tripod for mobility....unless my destination is Niagara fall

If it's purely 100% photography trip, most likely a tripod will come in handy for low light, sunset etc...

You shd have a rough idea of what are the situations you might need a tripod and based on experience, divide that no. by about half and then decide if it's worth the weight/mobility etc...

I have been there twice.

You must check your itinerary for this trip.

If you are keen on the landscape shoot, bring your tripod along.

Infact, Bali is a ideal place to shoot portrait especially the rural side. Local are so friendly.

Bring a monopod if you're using tele-len cos they maybe have some unexpected event in the temples.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    I'm thinking very hard on whether to bring my tripod during my upcoming trip to Bali. Main concern is the bulk. I do have a tripod carry strap. Do I need to check it in? Can it be hand luggage? Most of all, how convenient/inconvenient is lugging a tripod when moving from point to point on a trip?

Thanks in advance for the sharing of experiences
    HI Dude

I hand carried my tripod for my last trip to Canada, going thru immigration at Japan, States and Canada. No prob wat so ever but i tink there's a limit to the length of the tripod cuz it was actually measured by one of the immigration officer in japan.

Depending on wat u'r plannin to shoot, if potraits with yourself in the pic then of course it's a must. Taking low light photos like sunset is another must. I tink Bali offers some beautiful sunset (never been there though) so i suppose u shd bring it along.

But u need not carry it everyday during your trip. Bring it wen u tink u'l need it. If on that day u decided not to bring it along and such a beautiful low light photo opportunity comes along well u can always revisit the site with your tripod. That's wat i'l do anyway.

If u go to Bali as free and easy, then u will mostly likely join the local tour, u will mostly likely travel in their small little van/bus. The van/bus will bring u around the Bali island, u dont need to worry carrying the tripod around. Most photographers going Bali will carry a tripod anyway...

Is it possible to rent a tripod from photoshop or something?

Think I was told that the tripod must be put inside a bag when taking flights.. Anyway I did on my last trip when I brought my tripod along. The funny thing was in Changi airport they allow me to carry it as a hand luggage but when I was in Hanada Airport, they ask me to check in the tripod bag.... Oh well diff place diff rules...

Shinken, think you need to go through where you are going & if there is something you must take during the trip that requires a tripod then bo bian... must bring. For me I brought mi tripod on the last trip but I didn't bring it out everyday... I planned b4 hand where & when I'll need it so that I'll not have to bring along everytime...

bring bring!! bali is a tourist frenly place. trust me, im an indonesian who have been there quite a number of time. juz tat d last visit wasnt very enjoyable though. not prepared n some other 'road blocks'. do bring in case when u really need it desperately, the tripod is not available n u might end up cursing urself n feeling bad fr d entire day.

Blog Entries

depends on how you're travelling......and also what kind of outfit you're talking about

if its a little point and shoot why not just bring a table top tripod

and if you're going to be staying in just one place and/or van/minibus rental, just dump it inside the vehicle until u need it

if you're moving from hotel to hotel often and/or taking public transport most of time, leave it at home or bring the smallest tripod u can get away with wrt to your equiptment

Thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences Much appreciated. I guess I will indeed bring my tripod. This is gonna be my first "overseas shoot", and I can't anticipate my needs just yet, but I definitely would want to shoot some of the scenary of that beautiful place. I'll just lug it to check in and see what the customs say.

i wonder if u r going to use the tripod to shoot sceneries or ppl?
    shooting scenery, why need a tripod? unless u wanna shoot yourself using the timer mode (prefocus of course), then tripod is the next best thing to use other than asking friend to snap for u.

I brought my Manfrotto 190ProB + ballhead to HK on my recent trip. I just stashed it into my suitcase. No damage at all. It's essential if you want to do any sort of night shooting IMO. If you plan your daily schedule, you won't need to bring your tripod out everyday, only on days you'll probably need it.

Scud: I like to use long exposures for scenaries at certain times, so would prefer a tripod.
    Denosha: Hmm, I'll try stuffing it in to see if it fits

not denying that tripod is useful for long exposures but lugging along a tripod for a trip is rather troublesome. i just came back from a trip recently and i managed to do some long exposure shots at nite w/o tripod by using my bagpack and a small bean bag. of the nearly 3 weeks trip, only 2 occasions that i did long exposures.

tell yourself the reason for the trip : Holiday or serious photography?
    Alone or with others?
    always the Light, .... always.

I bring my tripod on all my trips. If you plan to take sunrise and sunset shots, its definitely a must. No doubt you can improvise using bean bag and backpack, but it might be difficult to compose if you need to angle your camera up or down or shoot from a high viewpoint.

I just went to Bali a few months ago and rented a cab and driver so effectively I am not really carrying the tripod for a long period of time.

I always pack my tripod into a check-in 50L deuter backpack with all my clothes acting as cushion for it. So far it always arrived in one piece. Hand carrying a tripod plus all my camera gear is too much hassle for me.