Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Tilt Shfit Lens vs Wide Angle Lens with Panoramic Rig

  1. #1

    Default Tilt Shfit Lens vs Wide Angle Lens with Panoramic Rig

    Hi CSer.. For landscape photography, to merge 2-3 images to form a vertorama/panorama image.

    1. What is the Pros and Cons between merging those images taken with Tilt Shift Lens vs Wide Angle lens with Panoramic Rig?

    2. From what I observed, most people will go for the "Wide Angle lens with Panoramic Rig" setup. Why is that so?

  2. #2
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Because it's more versatile with wide angles and the overall cost is probably lower.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tilt Shfit Lens vs Wide Angle Lens with Panoramic Rig

    one thing about the TS lens is you can do perfect stitch without errors, downside is most, if not all TS lens are manual focus and metering so that adds some complexity to the actual shooting.

    for pano rig, one is not restricted to any type of lens. from 15mm to 100mm, as long as the NPP is observed, good panoramas is achievable.

    downside is, being metal supports used in pano rigs, it will add extra weight to the camera gear. so good and bad points.
    Last edited by user12343; 25th June 2014 at 09:14 AM.

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Tilt Shfit Lens vs Wide Angle Lens with Panoramic Rig

    TS lenses are less popular and more expensive, beside, the widest TS lens is Canon 17mm, other than this is 24mm.
    and if using DX body, you will need to stitch more frames.
    however ultra wide angle lens are available easily on FX and DX bodies, and even the cheapest lenses still able to do the job well.

    FYI, doing panoramic shooting, you need to lock in your exposure and focusing. if not,you will have nightmare in stitching and merging during the post.

    and if you zero in the nodal point correctly, any lenses can do the job well.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Tilt Shfit Lens vs Wide Angle Lens with Panoramic Rig

    Quote Originally Posted by skybroodz View Post
    Hi CSer.. For landscape photography, to merge 2-3 images to form a vertorama/panorama image.

    1. What is the Pros and Cons between merging those images taken with Tilt Shift Lens vs Wide Angle lens with Panoramic Rig?

    2. From what I observed, most people will go for the "Wide Angle lens with Panoramic Rig" setup. Why is that so?
    1. T.S lens gives perfect stitch. Try stitching a few photos with a wide lens and you will appreciate the apparent distortion. This is however much less apparent as the focal length increases.

    2. T.S lenses are more expensive.

    Ryan

  6. #6

    Default

    Thank you everyone for your input. Understand now. Learn something today

  7. #7

    Default

    I don't shoot my panoramas with the same exposure settings throughout. I expose according to the frame, what kind of details I want. It is very important to judge the exposure though the histogram.

  8. #8
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    I am with tecnica. I too expose according to that particular scene. Photoshop does a good job of blending the whole thing together.

    It is important to overlap by between 25-30% of each frame.

  9. #9
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Tilt Shfit Lens vs Wide Angle Lens with Panoramic Rig

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    I don't shoot my panoramas with the same exposure settings throughout. I expose according to the frame, what kind of details I want. It is very important to judge the exposure though the histogram.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I am with tecnica. I too expose according to that particular scene. Photoshop does a good job of blending the whole thing together.

    It is important to overlap by between 25-30% of each frame.

    If you are to expose each frame of a panorama differently from the next, you will risk having incongruities in blending.

    The only time I can think of where such a need to tweak could arise would be taking long exposure panorama frames on an evening where lights are changing.

    I would have thought otherwise that all the frames of a pano to be of same setting.

    Ryan

  10. #10
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post

    If you are to expose each frame of a panorama differently from the next, you will risk having incongruities in blending.

    The only time I can think of where such a need to tweak could arise would be taking long exposure panorama frames on an evening where lights are changing.

    I would have thought otherwise that all the frames of a pano to be of same setting.

    Ryan
    Yes Ryan I do take long exposures at blue hour. That's why I try to match the histograms. Only the shutter speed is manually adjusted via histogram. The ISO, aperture, WB & focus are pretty much fixed.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Tilt Shfit Lens vs Wide Angle Lens with Panoramic Rig

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    If you are to expose each frame of a panorama differently from the next, you will risk having incongruities in blending.

    The only time I can think of where such a need to tweak could arise would be taking long exposure panorama frames on an evening where lights are changing.

    I would have thought otherwise that all the frames of a pano to be of same setting.

    Ryan
    you can view my works in my flickr, i have absolutely no issue with my technique.

    here is one recent example:

    Luminous by t3cnica, on Flickr

    3x images DRI, 5x frames panorama
    2x images stacked for lightshow

    i shot the lightshow first before completing the panorama which took me another 50mins or so to shoot.

    another example when the day was still bright:

    Pompous by t3cnica, on Flickr

    4x images DRI, 2x frames panorama
    Last edited by tecnica; 26th June 2014 at 10:50 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Beautiful shots, tecnica!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Tilt Shfit Lens vs Wide Angle Lens with Panoramic Rig

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Beautiful shots, tecnica!
    thank you!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Tilt Shfit Lens vs Wide Angle Lens with Panoramic Rig

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    you can view my works in my flickr, i have absolutely no issue with my technique.

    i shot the lightshow first before completing the panorama which took me another 50mins or so to shoot.

    another example when the day was still bright:

    Pompous by t3cnica, on Flickr

    4x images DRI, 2x frames panorama
    Nice stuff!
    Certainly not for the faint hearted (like me)

  15. #15

    Default Re: Tilt Shfit Lens vs Wide Angle Lens with Panoramic Rig

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Nice stuff!
    Certainly not for the faint hearted (like me)
    haha, thanks! it is actually quite nerve wrecking at times.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •