Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people keep fierce dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Wouldn't that mislead the dog to think you are its oppossite sex?
    Sorry, I have a kinky mind...............

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Sorry, I have a kinky mind...............
    Actually neutering the dog will help greatly.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    Why differnet breed of dogs all bite PEOPLE & CATS but not each other though
    they look vastly DIFFERENT?
    The smell I suppose?

Those who own dogs... Izzit natural for u to have a doggy smell after u bathe ur dog?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Share my exp..

1. I now have a neighbor who keep 2 dogs, one big about 4-5feet length, the other about 2.5feet. both are not fierce to the neighbourhood people but they are very sensitive and aggressive to outsiders approaching. Interestingly he got them AFTER his name and his apt unit got splash all over the block and lifts and void decks and such, with the standard “owe $ pay $” highlights etc etc. His door was ever looked like someone did a Picasso on it with paint cans. Suspect he got the big dog (the first one he got) to stand guard (once late nitefall, this biggy will sleep outside the gates of the house). The little one that only came later on is more of like for “carry abouts” protection…note all these happening at a HDB aptment ok…more interestingly, after a while, no one ever came to ‘disturb’ the peace anymore. Zit nothing.

2. I have an distant relative, whose also inclined towards say ‘speculations’, and rather intensely. He got the same biggy dogs, 2 of them fact, around his house all the time. They stink like h*ll, but he keeps on to them like they to him, 110% loyalty. I think they ever got him out of some very antagonized creditors hands before. Now these dogs staying guard at in his bungalow. Imagine he used to keep 7, ahem “7” of these dogs one go, until the lady partner protest its too much, so he gave them out til left 2 the longest-owning ones.

Ever since these 2 instances, I have had a very new perspective on dogowners…I look carefully at the owners themselves. I used to think dogowners are rich, well-off, with more than enough time and resources, or perhaps retired or with an overwhelming dose of kindness to spare on their ‘little pets’. Suddenly the whole world turns around. Put it this way, if you took a say “50k loan with a 10K interest” and you don’t feel like paying back that 50K anytime SOON, you know what to do with the last 10.

At one time. I was staying at a landed property (rented). I kept a rotweiler as I want to safeguard myself. You don't know what they (robbers) would do to those who pretent to be rich? thus the fierce dog.

Quote Originally Posted by itisnottheendorg
    Share my exp..

1. I now have a neighbor who keep 2 dogs, one big about 4-5feet length, the other about 2.5feet. both are not fierce to the neighbourhood people but they are very sensitive and aggressive to outsiders approaching. Interestingly he got them AFTER his name and his apt unit got splash all over the block and lifts and void decks and such, with the standard “owe $ pay $” highlights etc etc. His door was ever looked like someone did a Picasso on it with paint cans. Suspect he got the big dog (the first one he got) to stand guard (once late nitefall, this biggy will sleep outside the gates of the house). The little one that only came later on is more of like for “carry abouts” protection…note all these happening at a HDB aptment ok…more interestingly, after a while, no one ever came to ‘disturb’ the peace anymore. Zit nothing.

2. I have an distant relative, whose also inclined towards say ‘speculations’, and rather intensely. He got the same biggy dogs, 2 of them fact, around his house all the time. They stink like h*ll, but he keeps on to them like they to him, 110% loyalty. I think they ever got him out of some very antagonized creditors hands before. Now these dogs staying guard at in his bungalow. Imagine he used to keep 7, ahem “7” of these dogs one go, until the lady partner protest its too much, so he gave them out til left 2 the longest-owning ones.

Ever since these 2 instances, I have had a very new perspective on dogowners…I look carefully at the owners themselves. I used to think dogowners are rich, well-off, with more than enough time and resources, or perhaps retired or with an overwhelming dose of kindness to spare on their ‘little pets’. Suddenly the whole world turns around. Put it this way, if you took a say “50k loan with a 10K interest” and you don’t feel like paying back that 50K anytime SOON, you know what to do with the last 10.
    hahahaha......this is hilarious !!

The aggression of a dog could arise from 2 sources.

The lack of training/attention by the owner,

and

The dog itself has a complex problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dogs like human beings, (well almost every pet as that matter - be it cat, hamster, dog or fish) require care. Dogs are above all other pets most susceptible to emotional trauma, and often can reflect the mood and attitude of its owner. I have seen owners that whenever they get angry about anything.. they will ask the dog to attack the person, animal or anything else. This is to me irresponsible training.

Most dogs kept are able to kill in one way or another (I would of coz have some reservations about dogs like chichi, and smaller dogs.. they still can give a nasty bite).

I have friends that own big dogs, full grown german shephards (one that actually pounced on me in its playfulness and knocked me down.. imagine.. 1.72m @ 90Kg.. and the dog knocked me down).. and even mastiffs or great danes.

All these dogs are known for their hunting and tracking prowess, but they have been trained so well, that they are so gentle. They never, never attack or try to pounce on children. This is from early training. Everytime they did something wrong they were disciplined, but then after the discipline.. they were still showered with loving care.

Some dogs are like humans, with short tempers.. they just snap. Other extremely patient.

My neighbour keeps a huskie.. and it a big dog.. but its really gentle.. and is tad to playful sometimes.

I dont see any problem with keeping big dogs.. as long as effort is taken to training and loving them.

Most dog attacks are provoked. Meaning they were avoidable. In my neighourhood there was a golden retriver that was so gentle in nature, but one day it bit a 15 year old boy.. when further investigation was done.. the dog was found to be innocent.. as the boys were actually throwing stones and stuff at the dog..

I would say.. too bad for the boy.. he asked for it..

There are of coz unproked attacks that I believe are attributed to perhaps over zealous play.. other I know cannot be explained.

But in most cases its due to provocation.

That's why I said it is up to the owner...if the dog temperament is bad. Then the owners should put a muzzle on their dogs lah....like in this instance:

http://gallery127599.fotopic.net/p17651242.html

When I wasn't sure about how the dog behave.

Quote Originally Posted by gadrian
    The aggression of a dog could arise from 2 sources.
    and
    The dog itself has a complex problem.
    Looks like some dogs take after their owners?

Wouldn't that mislead the dog to think you are its oppossite sex?
    Haha! Good one Sion

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Those who own dogs... Izzit natural for u to have a doggy smell after u bathe ur dog?
    I smelled like the dog soap than my dog everytime I bathed it.

Hmmm ... if you are truly seeking enlightenment, then you may be opening a honets' nest, especially considering political moves for banning certain breeds in some countries, arguements among dog lovers as well as begging the question: just what or how do you or one define a 'fierce dog'?

There are a lot of animals, of same species, but of entirely different personalities, needs and temperaments. As well as blind mis-conceptions about such animal breeds, did you ever think that the infamous Piranah family actually consists (I was told by National Geography or was it Discovery?) of mainly vegetable eaters?

I'm too tired and it is late to get into the details of the canine world, but here's a pop quiz:

1) Is the cute, smiling Jack Russel like that super cute intellingent dog you saw in Ace Ventura Pet Detective a cutie pie, or a selectively breed hunting dog which will seek, run down and savagely rip off the flesh and bones of a prey animal?

2) Are Shelties, Shetland Sheepdogs really a real-life. working herding breed? Common, they're so bloddy small and soft and furry ... and they scare so easily ... or were they really actual working dogs used in field work with animals easily ten or twenty times their size, and several hundred times their body weight? Are they originally from Australia?

3) Considering the repeatedly news reports of the American Pit Bull being a fighting dog and a human killer, would you ever let your 1-year old son or daughter play with your family's pit-bull?

Sorry, I am not a canine expert, so some of this may be a little strange sounding.

Last question:

Should we just shoot, or ban or condemn anything that looks fierce?

Hehehe, I am thinking that I should be soooo glad none of you ever get to see me in real life! At least I am allowed to live a bit longer! Hehehehe...

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    Hmmm ... if you are truly seeking enlightenment, then you may be opening a honets' nest, especially considering political moves for banning certain breeds in some countries, arguements among dog lovers as well as begging the question: just what or how do you or one define a 'fierce dog'?

There are a lot of animals, of same species, but of entirely different personalities, needs and temperaments. As well as blind mis-conceptions about such animal breeds, did you ever think that the infamous Piranah family actually consists (I was told by National Geography or was it Discovery?) of mainly vegetable eaters?

I'm too tired and it is late to get into the details of the canine world, but here's a pop quiz:

1) Is the cute, smiling Jack Russel like that super cute intellingent dog you saw in Ace Ventura Pet Detective a cutie pie, or a selectively breed hunting dog which will seek, run down and savagely rip off the flesh and bones of a prey animal?

2) Are Shelties, Shetland Sheepdogs really a real-life. working herding breed? Common, they're so bloddy small and soft and furry ... and they scare so easily ... or were they really actual working dogs used in field work with animals easily ten or twenty times their size, and several hundred times their body weight? Are they originally from Australia?

3) Considering the repeatedly news reports of the American Pit Bull being a fighting dog and a human killer, would you ever let your 1-year old son or daughter play with your family's pit-bull?

Sorry, I am not a canine expert, so some of this may be a little strange sounding.

Last question:

Hehehe, I am thinking that I should be soooo glad none of you ever get to see me in real life! At least I am allowed to live a bit longer! Hehehehe...
    1. Yes, the JR is a hunting dog from Britian. Scotland i think?

2. Shelties, Shetland Sheepdogs are from Shetland, Scotland?

3. If its my family's pit bull, then its ok.

4. No. So you can meet me without worries!

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau

Last question:

I am not sure, but based on reported *incidents*, I think I have never heard of a chiwawa seriously injuring anyone to make the news, but I have read, several times, pit-bulls seriously and even fatally wounding a human victim.

The pit-bull doesn't just look fierce. It *is* fierce. It is it's nature to be fierce. It is for a purpose. It is innocent.

But do you really have to keep a pit-bull as pet, and put yourself and the community at risk? That's my question right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansel
    No problem with time. Can always get maid to walk the dog right? See a lot of maids walking dogs whenever I passed by landed estates. They are the ones enjoying the dog's company.
    That's one lazy dog owner! Let the maid do everything, maybe also take care of their kids (can get deprivation of kids bonding), wash their car........:-)

HS

I smelled like the dog soap than my dog everytime I bathed it.
    You mean, you take a bath in the same water AFTER the dog has been washed?

HS

to keep the bitches out, dawg!

The pit-bull doesn't just look fierce. It *is* fierce. It is it's nature to be fierce. It is for a purpose. It is innocent.
    Pit bull is a puss compared to the following breeds:

-Tosa Inu
    -Dogo Argentino
    -Cane Corso
    -Canary Island Mastiff
    -Neapolitan Mastiff

Not to mention cross breeding them.....but in certain countries, such breeds are a welcome sights for safety of people's homes. The loyal companions of isolated farmsteads.....

If you do check on statistics of dog attacks, you will realised the 'pariah dogs', or the friendlier labradors might be among the top of chart.....as the old saying goes, the friendlier(harmless) it is.....you are more off guard too.

Since young, I was accompanied by bull terrier, doberman, rottweiler, alsation, pit bull and Neapolitan mastiffs. I must said again loud: it is the owner's responsiblity nor the dog.

A perfect example would be the Chinese Sharpei, it was near extinction few decades back.......Today, the people or passerby would only comment on how cute or wrinkly their skins/coat looks....instead of finding out that not long ago in China, it was the infamous fighting dogs.

Pistols are not dangerous, only in the hands that hold them.

Pitbulls terriers are cute fun loving dogs. Most of the times you'd feel like they can make funny faces at u. Japanese spitz are pretty fierce too with a love/hate relationship. either they hate you or like you to the core. But I like then because they're really v loyal would jump in front to protect you from snakes or much bigger dogs.
    Dog bites are v isolated, there're more humans killing humans! So does that mean humans should put on handcuffs each time they go out?

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc
    Dog bites are v isolated, there're more humans killing humans! So does that mean humans should put on handcuffs each time they go out?
    If this world goes to the dogs, we may have to do that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast