Thread: How to fix overexpose photos

Default How to fix overexpose photos

Hi there,

I would like to know how to fix my overexpose photos as I have a few of them. If anyone here know how to do it, can let me know in details how to fix them. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

300n

They can only be fixed if the overexposure isn't too bad, i.e. not so bright/white-out that all details are lost.

1. Open in PhotoShop.
    2. Duplicate Layer (Ctrl-J)
    3. Set the layer option to "Multiply"
    4. Finetune using the "Opacity" option, of if insufficient, Ctrl-J again.
    5. Flatten the layers and save when you are happy with the results.

Regards
    CK

Default Overexpose Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    They can only be fixed if the overexposure isn't too bad, i.e. not so bright/white-out that all details are lost.

1. Open in PhotoShop.

Regards
    CK
    Hi ckiang,

Thank you for your info. This will surely help those who got overexpose photos too. Now at least I can get my photos being done up. Once again, thank you.

300n

like ckiang said, it depend on how over it is. BLOWN out cannot get back details (eg, sky with clouds)

Default Overexpose Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    like ckiang said, it depend on how over it is. BLOWN out cannot get back details (eg, sky with clouds)
    I know snowcrash, I am trying out those that not so blown out and see whether I can recover them. Hope that everything gets smoothly completed.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang

1. Open in PhotoShop.

Regards
    CK
    Yah..thats a good method to quick fix the over-exposed images... and alternatively... please take note that you can use "Screen" instead of Multiply if you want to fix the "Under Exposed" images too,.
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

If it is just relatively small areas that are burned out and they do not have complex images (like somebody's nose) you might try using the PS healing tool or clone stamp tool to copy some texture from a similar area. This works quite well for skin or fabric. If you use the clone tool do it on a separate layer and then adjust the transparency until it fades into the original image.

Another way is to use Hue/Saturation (more specific fix).

(1) Go to the right-hand panel (layer), right-click the circle (half-black, half-white).
    (2) Select the Hue/Saturation (Now you have a new later so your original is still safe).
    (3) Select the color that is near the area you gotta fix (i.e. people = red, sky = blue), click the eyedropper and click the object (face, sky) to be more accurate.
    (4) Now adjust the Hue/Saturation to lighten/darken the portion needed fixing.

Alternatively, you can use curve as well and simply add an s-curve.

By the way, if you shoot raw, you have extra +2 EV on the highlight/shadow so you can still shift the exposure up or down. If jpg, and its really blown out, its gone.