Thread: canon EF and canon AF

Default canon EF and canon AF

Hi all,

May I ask, is there any different between canon EF and canon AF mount ? I was puzzled that third party (refer to tamron), the website stated as canon AF rather than EF. Is the EF lens a proprietary name for canon only ? or is there any different ?

Thanks for the time .

Yes, EF mount is the name that Canon uses for their Auto-Focus lens mount. This is the mount used by all the Auto-Focus (film and digital) EOS SLRs.
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mfopus
    Yes, EF mount is the name that Canon uses for their Auto-Focus lens mount. This is the mount used by all the Auto-Focus (film and digital) EOS SLRs.
    Hope that helps.
    so it is a proprietary name then...thus the difference...thanks for the reply

Never heard of a Canon "AF" mount. In Canon's history, only got range finder, R, FL, (New) FD, and EF mounts...

Probably it means Canon Autofocus lens, since there are some manual focus lenses in the EF mount (tilt and shift series).

A little history lesson canon use to have a camera call the T80 that use some kind of FD mount autofocusing lenes way before the minotla have the 7000 AF. F.Y.I.