Thread: Dental care: Root canal ......

Default Dental care: Root canal ......

Pai seh guys/gals,

I need advise on the costing of root canal in Sg. Thought stopover in Sg and KL, need to get some of the teeth fix there.

Can someone please advise/help

Gam siah,
    Benign

Root canal can be anything from $800 to $1,200. This is only from the dental clinic that I have asked before. Others may have different pricing.

Default and it takes a few cycle to complete...

meaning afew steps in a few visits .....as what i know

rgds,
    sulhan

Yes, it also depends on which tooth. The molars/premolars may take up to 3-4 visits. Hence, unless your stay is a couple of months long (or you intend to come back regularly), a root canal procedure is out of the question. It cannot be done in one sitting. Neighbourhood dental surgeries quote in the range of $350 to $500. The high-end ones can exceed four figures, as jbma said.

Most dentists will also not advise you to do more than one root canal in one go. So if you're thinking of getting a few teeth fixed, it'll even take more visits.

I thought such treatment would be quite easily available in Australia?

Root canal can be anything from $800 to $1,200. This is only from the dental clinic that I have asked before. Others may have different pricing.

Wah liew, I saw this on dental health organisation of Singapore.....

Right at the bottom: stated it is about From $200 for the front to $800 for the molar or back tooth ley....

http://www.dentalhealth.org.sg/02inf...icles_F001.htm

thought such treatment would be quite easily available in Australia?
    Then you definitely wrong liao.....unless you got health insurance. Which in my case...the past two years was mostly living abroad in M'sia. So, paying the full rate?

I am not sure what the full rate is like in Australia....but my mum false teeth cost 600 ringgits to fix in M'sia...where in Australia cost $1.5k lor.

Just recently, my cousin went for wisdom tooth extraction and some fillings. Ended up paying more than 2k.

Haizzz.....I think I save up for a holiday and money to fix my teeth in M'sia or Sg lah.

Of course, I might be wrong about the costing in M'sia/Sg lor.

Maybe the dentist want me to put gold plated ones Wahahaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    Right at the bottom: stated it is about From $200 for the front to $800 for the molar or back tooth ley....
    My high class dentist charge me about that for the root canal treatment, but crowning is a different cost. You need 1week to have a complete treatment in 2 visits. I remembered my dentist told me about the complications for molar.

Gam siah from the heart

I just found an article about dental care in Aust...

Saving at the dentist: the $10 filling
    15 March 2004

It's a story A Current Affair has told many times and which the Federal Government is only just beginning to address. For many, quality dental care is simply beyond their means and if they rely on the public health system it can take years to receive attention.

In the face of these difficulties, more and more Australians are finding dental care in the Philippines. Sam Cusmano and Geoff Schlitz are two such patients who have flown to Manila, all the way from Melbourne.

Sam was quoted more than $10,000 to have his dental work done in Australia. But Filipino orthodontist Dr Rowena Marzo charged him just $1800.

Dr Marzo and other Filipino dentists have an increasing number overseas patients who have discovered that, even with travel costs included, the dental work is still substantially cheaper than having it done at home.

"I have patients from almost all parts, from Switzerland, Africa, Japan, Australia ... China, Korea and of course the Philippines."

Geoff has periodontitis, and his teeth have been decaying rapidly. "I needed 20 fillings unfortunately on 15 different teeth and I need a cap done on a rear top tooth."

He says it would have cost $3000-$4000 to have had the dental work done in Australia. In Manila, the total cost is $460.

How much you save depends on the doctor, but the price difference in the Philippines is incredible. Some examples include:

$91 for a root canal compared with $1250 in Australia.

Porcelain crowns are nearly $1600 cheaper.

You can have a filling that costs $185 in Australia for only $9 in the Philippines.

X-rays and consultations are one-tenth of the price.

Of course, for major dental work can take up to two weeks depending on the work you need and that's where the holiday comes in.

"This place has got over 7000 islands to visit and some of them are the most beautiful places I've ever seen," Geoff says.

However, University of Queensland dental professor Laurie Walsh warns that at some foreign dental surgeries, low prices could mean lower hygiene standards.

"As well as hepatitis C, certainly hepatitis B can be transmitted on dental instruments ... [you can contract] herpes virus and certainly things like the common cold and flu through saliva contamination."

Dr Marzo defends her qualifications. "We have the same qualifications as they have [in Australia] and we could give the same quality"

It's hard to argue with the value for money in Manila but there's somewhere else in the Philippines that's even cheaper. If you jump on a plane, in an hour you can be on the island of Cebu, the gateway to some of Asia's most beautiful islands. Also, in Cebu you can save up to another 70 percent on prices found in Manila.

Husband-and-wife dental team, Enrique and Arnette Fernando, make it their business to cut costs. Together with another 15 Filipino practitioners, the couple keeps prices down by having high-quality imported materials moulded at a local lab on the island.

"You get the best of both worlds it's cheaper here and you get the same quality or even better quality work. Our work is actually quite excellent if I may so so myself."

Still, Professor Walsh says the Philippines' six-year dentistry accreditation isn't recognised in Australia.

"We know there are different sorts of standards of dental education in the Philippines. Some are very good, some don't have the standards that we might expect from Australia."