Thread: Illegal modifications = unsafe modifications?

Default Illegal modifications = unsafe modifications?

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/fit-...095405286.html

Do you mod your car? What do you think? I just drive the standard one the factory gives me... but I am curious.

And what is the most irritating mod you have seen? For me, it is those super powerful headlights.
    Last edited by UncleFai; 20th June 2014 at 04:56 PM.

Default Re: Illegal modifications = unsafe modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/fit-...095405286.html

Do you mod your car? What do you think? I just drive the standard one the factory gives me... but I am curious.

And what is the most irritating mod you have seen? For me, it is those super powerful headlights.
    i mod my bicycle. don't report me ok?
    Objection !!!

For me, it is those super powerful headlights.
    Same... Blinding man. But the power of the headlights isn't the issue, as even the regular approved bulbs can be blinding when not aligned properly (quite common to encounter taxis with one stray bulb that's on permanent 'high beam'. I wouldn't consider all cases 'modifications'. While there are those who purposely zhng the super bright bulbs, I suspect many cases might be due to driver ignorance? After replacing the OEM bulbs that have blown, they aren't aware that replaced bulbs may need to be aligned after installation.

Proper headlight aim is critical. Check aim with a driver in the car and a full tank of gas. The low-beam cutoff (a) should be slightly below the center of the lens (b) to keep glare out of oncoming traffic and reduce the light reflection that occurs during rainy or snowy weather. The bend in the cutoff should be slightly to the right of the center of the lane, for the same purpose. This will illuminate the road surface in front of the car, as well as the curb area to the right.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...repair/1347221
    Last edited by kandinsky; 20th June 2014 at 05:10 PM.

The standard car already gone through many R&D to max its performance. When you modify, you don't take into consideration other factors. My layman opinion, don't modify. There may be safety issues.

However, minor additions are OK if they are aesthetically more pleasing to you. A better air filter, better qualify wiper, etc are generally encouraged. I can't imagine the manufacturer R&D team will missed out a feature you can buy off the shelves that would greatly improve performance. Even if there are new innovation, I am sure their next model will feature it too.

Mods such as bbk or suspension can add a lot to driving pleasure & safety.

What I dislike most is decatted exhaust. Very smelly driving behind them when Aircond is taking in outside air.
    D800 | N 50/1.8G | N 24-70/2.8G | T 150-600VC | S 35/1.4DG

Does mod-ing my PC counts.... can't afford Car or Bike...

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Overclocking past 120% is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Don't try this with your dslr.

For me, it is those super powerful headlights.
    IMHO, those with powerful white headlamps usually travel slower during heavy rain.

Powerful headlamp is not an issue, it has to align properly so that it does not blind opposite user, and also some Kayu driver who switched on high beam accidentally.....to me these are some annoying grievance that I encountered quite frequently....but to single out one most irritating mod....it has to be dark back windscreen tinted film....I have no idea how they got approve or escape from TP......it virtually blocking my view on earlier driving condition one car ahead....especially in expressway cruising.....it is very dangerous is there is sudden break even at 80/90 km/h...

At the rate LTA is going, changing the tyres from the factory ones would be considered a mod. The tyres, much more so than the exhaust, will affect steering and braking.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    At the rate LTA is going, changing the tyres from the factory ones would be considered a mod. The tyres, much more so than the exhaust, will affect steering and braking.
    If rims (and tires) are not according to specifications listed for car, it consider illegal. But so far din hear anyone around me get caught for that as guess not enforce and it not obvious. Unless really changed to one oversize. Most I heard are illegal exos, tinted windscreen/window and aftermarket HID headlamps.

And if touchwood any accident, insurance can reject ur claim if any mod done is not declare during purchase of policy, even if it legal mod. even if the mod may not be contributing factor to the accident.
    Last edited by huatman; 23rd June 2014 at 01:25 AM.

in a crazy licensing regime like we have,
    anything you haven't paid $$$ for black and white that says you can own it,
    means it is illegal
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Big surfboard / kitchen sink rear wings. Modifying a car to make it look like another (read: more expensive) car.

I just modified my car's back-up / reverse beeper to play the godfather's theme instead, hopefully I haven't been annoying anyone with it.

YouTube Video ID No. VWYOYWYKHLM
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

In UK, if one were to use non factory specified tyres and has an accident, the insurance company will void your claims

I drive a lot of high performance cars and everyone of them can be modified to extract more power etc. All car manufacturers de-tune the engines so that the car operates within warranty (potential lawsuits) that's why they always offer a higher model later based on the same hardware by simply tweaking ECU & some other components then charging you 30-50% premium for it. Anyway, the modern sports cars are already too powerful for us to handle.

As for those superwhite lights aka HID, the factory fitted ones have auto adjustment motors which won't blind the traffic but many of these lighting kits find their way to those cars that are not equipped with that motor in the headlights so it's a problem.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Modifying a car to make it look like another (read: more expensive) car.
    What about converting a Toyota Harrier into a Lexus RX?

I hate glaring HID headlights, makes checking mirrors a very trying affair, especially at night.

However I do hope LTA could take alignment with EU regarding installation of DRLs. They seem to be a little behind the curve, and taking the path of least resistance, indiscriminately disapproves all aftermarket DRLs. Some stock DRLs are actually sitting on the position of fog lights.

It is.. but you already paid the fine.. a.k.a COE

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    It is.. but you already paid the fine.. a.k.a COE
    Oic, I think they must be waiting to screw my friend who got one COE at $101 and another COE at $200.