Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why becoming professional photographer so difficult???

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    give him a break la.. not everyone understands the photography industry..

not even the so-called 'pros' who have been around for some time.. thats why some of them drop out after a few years, close studios..

and some of us who can't seem to 'rise up' even after a few years .. which i think i belong to..

It's not the lack of understanding of the photography industry i'm fascinated by. Then again, it's Harry we're talking about here.
    Last edited by Reflection; 17th July 2005 at 01:36 AM.

Getting a job (Possibility)

With Cert w/o portfoilo = 50%
    With Portfoilo w/o Cert = 50%
    With Cert + portfoilo = 50%
    NO Portfoilo NO Cert = 0% (Unless you have a KAO SHAN)

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    erm ... in reality, every job has its challenges. you seem to make things sound very simple for uni grads
    Yes, I find studying , get a cert and enter workforce easy than becoming a pro photographer.

I graduated from IT and my result not good, failed 1 module, retained 1 semester. And I got a job at a big company, though pay average.

My fren graduated from arts, also manage to find her job pretty fast though her results are far worse than me. Her pay also slightly above arts average.

Quote Originally Posted by Look4Yest
    The piece of 'paper' is not everything.

For designers and photographers...its all about skills, experience and the interests...there are lots of things in which you can't simply get from memorising...or by 'drinking the ash after you burn your book'...
    I think you are right, memorising, passing exams just studying at home can liao.

But Harry don't you become a wizard and save the world from vile evil?

Maybe the concept of supply and demand also comes into play here. If you're trying to enter a profession that absolutely needs fresh grads, then you're in luck. It would be easier to get a job without proof of past experience or talent.

As far as I can see, Singapore is terribly short on veterinarians, and people are grabbing what they can lay their hands on. But again, that course itself is grueling. I've yet to come across someone who has graduated from it but is not competent to a decent extent.

After all these discussion, I still think it is better to become an amateur photogs. Make photography a passion for life rather than a job. Occasionally, doing freelance if you are good. Just earn bit of $$ to maintain and upgrade your equipment. hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter
    Why becoming professional photographer so difficult???
    If it is that easy all of us are now sitting in an air-con studio with state-of-the-art lighting equipments and sipping coke and chatting and laughing with gorgeous models instead of trying to explore the true meaning of photography in an internet photo forum as a amateur.

Yes, I find studying , get a cert and enter workforce easy than becoming a pro photographer.

I graduated from IT and my result not good, failed 1 module, retained 1 semester. And I got a job at a big company, though pay average.

My fren graduated from arts, also manage to find her job pretty fast though her results are far worse than me. Her pay also slightly above arts average.
    Ok. Serious answer from me this time.

A friend, who is a writer, once compared our incomes, and was appalled at the differences.

"Wahh...you earn so much more than i do!"
    "Sure...but how long did it take you to be a writer?"
    "Well, i graduated from university and got a job as one!"
    "Brudder...i started my career back when we were in Sec 3."

Perhaps the idea of becoming a professional photographer seems difficult for you, simply because you're comparing the concept with a normal job. I can safely say that all the photographers i've met are of one kind: we're a very peculiar bunch! Definetly from another galaxy.

Photography itself is not easy. Becoming a professional photographer is harder. Achieving success is near impossible. Dare i say that it's the relentless pursuit of perfection, that drives us to believe we can do better each time.

Other job not that difficult to enter, eg, I grad from a uni, got cert, can work in a company liao. But for photographer, need to have good porfolio. Cannot just grad from a school, then write resume, then become photographer.

why???

If it's easy to be one, the whole market will be flooded with photographers, and for asking a question like this, you probably still don't stand a chance, so why ask why?

Concentrate on your current job, earn more experience, before you think of anything else.

To become a pro photographer is that difficult meh? Just decide to quit and stop everything you are doing and resolve to make a living out of photography.

However, what is really tougher is to be a successful pro photographer whose services is greatly sought after by others ...

Other job not that difficult to enter, eg, I grad from a uni, got cert, can work in a company liao. But for photographer, need to have good porfolio. Cannot just grad from a school, then write resume, then become photographer.

why???
    get a cert and write resume for photography? i think maybe u have been influenced too much by the education system in singapore. not everything requires a darn certificate or formal education.

in photography, the only way to show you are qualified is not a cert saying "oh, who and who has successfully completed this course blah blah blah" but a portfolio showing your creativity and competency. chew on it dude.

this thread is beginning to amuse me

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    PRO COMMENT

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    I think the title itself has sent a few pros rolling on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I think the title itself has sent a few pros rolling on the floor.
    No, I'm not rolling on the floor now.

Why so difficult? where got so difficult?

you see everyone here: just snap and snap some pretty girls and later post here and post there, and after that you call me pro, I call you pro also, everyone also pro liao, where got so difficult?

As long as equipments and dressing looks 'Pro' can liao. Hee...

Quote Originally Posted by obewan
    As long as equipments and dressing looks 'Pro' can liao. Hee...
    Ya lor, and than print many many name cards, put you title big big, donít need register business, donít need pay tax also can.

Where got so difficult?

Yay, think you all are right, I am too into educational system here: study, get cert, get job liao.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    No, I'm not rolling on the floor now.

Why so difficult? where got so difficult?

you see everyone here: just snap and snap some pretty girls and later post here and post there, and after that you call me pro, I call you pro also, everyone also pro liao, where got so difficult?
    Then you see only same ppls comment here and there, all pro comment like very chio bu, pretty model etc.....................

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast