Thread: Lenses for Micro Four-Thirds system

Default Lenses for Micro Four-Thirds system

Was previously a Nikon DSLR user, but have since sold all of my DSLR equipment to go completely mirrorless. Cuurently planning to get the following items:
    -Panasonic GH1 body (Hacked)
    -Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens
    -Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Power OIS
    -Maybe a pancake? Olympus 17mm f/2.8?

Planning to do mostly street, travel, night and nature photography. Could any of the pros suggest a better lens instead that would suit my kind of photography?

Default Re: Lenses for Micro Four-Thirds system

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Appleseed View Post
    Was previously a Nikon DSLR user, but have since sold all of my DSLR equipment to go completely mirrorless. Cuurently planning to get the following items:
    -Panasonic GH1 body (Hacked)
    -Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens
    -Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Power OIS
    -Maybe a pancake? Olympus 17mm f/2.8?

Planning to do mostly street, travel, night and nature photography. Could any of the pros suggest a better lens instead that would suit my kind of photography?
    For nature photography, does Birding came into mind? If that is the case, 100mm (200mm after you multiply in the x2) is not enough. I would suggest getting the Oly 75-300mm or Pany 100-300mm. Also if you are thinking about macro, then you might want to look at 60mm f2.8 macro too.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

14-42mm and 17mm, can be replaced by the 25mm f1.8 in my opinion.

Why do you intend on getting those two lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    For nature photography, does Birding came into mind? If that is the case, 100mm (200mm after you multiply in the x2) is not enough. I would suggest getting the Oly 75-300mm or Pany 100-300mm. Also if you are thinking about macro, then you might want to look at 60mm f2.8 macro too.
    Taken your advice into consideration. Agreed that 35-100 f/2.8 range is insufficient. Thus planning on getting a Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 as my prime lens and a telephoto you suggested. However which one is better? The Olympus 75-300 has the perfect range and it has more ED and Super ED elements than the Panasonic 100-300. However, the Olympus does not have OIS which is essential at that kind of range. Read online that Olympus IQ is better than Panasonic 100-300. Any suggestions as to which I should get? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Appleseed View Post
    Taken your advice into consideration. Agreed that 35-100 f/2.8 range is insufficient. Thus planning on getting a Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 as my prime lens and a telephoto you suggested. However which one is better? The Olympus 75-300 has the perfect range and it has more ED and Super ED elements than the Panasonic 100-300. However, the Olympus does not have OIS which is essential at that kind of range. Read online that Olympus IQ is better than Panasonic 100-300. Any suggestions as to which I should get? Thanks.
    I am not sure about you. for me... even with OIS, I would still rely on at least a monopod for long range... I also read that 75-300mm have better IQ, however do note that it is slightly slower at longest range.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots